President greets new semester with students and staff
Share this article
City University of Hong Kong (CityU) resumes partial face-to-face teaching starting today. Professor Way Kuo, CityU President, joined 14 senior management members, deans of colleges and schools, and over 500 students to celebrate the new semester on 26 September. Unlike the student orientation held only on the internet at the end of August, this event was hosted in both face-to-face and online modes.
“Welcome to the CityU family!” President Kuo announced in his welcoming remarks. “I would like to thank everyone at CityU for overcoming the unprecedented challenges posed by the pandemic over the past months. Your strenuous efforts have enabled students to keep up with their studies via CityU-Learning despite the coronavirus epidemic.” The President also updated students with key points from the University’s Strategic Plan for the coming five years.
As the Mid-Autumn Festival approaches, President Kuo earnestly encouraged everyone to remain vigilant against the pandemic and maintain social distancing. He hoped everyone could embrace their dreams with critical thinking in a caring and harmonious atmosphere.
Professor Horace Ip Ho-shing, Vice-President (Student Affairs), briefed students on the University’s new projects especially developed for them, including talent programmes for outstanding students, the new cum laude classification system for degrees starting this academic year, and the further enhancement of our graduates’ employability.
Various activities were organised for the event. Highlights included President Kuo’s impromptu breaking of a wooden board using his bare hands during a demonstration by CityU’s taekwondo team, which raised a huge round of applause; while Mr Vivek Mahbubani, stand-up comedian and alumnus, cracked a lot of great jokes. The event came to a perfect ending with two songs from a musical performed by students.
The 14 management members, college and school deans and department heads attending the event were:
- Professor Horace Ip Ho-shing, Vice-President (Student Affairs)
- Professor Matthew Lee Kwok-on, Vice-President (Development and External Relations)
- Mr Sunny Lee Wai-kwong, Vice-President (Administration)
- Professor Paul Lam Kwan-sing, Executive Director of Special Projects
- Professor Richard Yuen Kwok-kit, Chief-of-Staff
- Professor Frank Chen Youhua, Dean, College of Business
- Professor Raymond Chan Hon-fu, Dean, College of Science
- Professor Richard Allen, Dean, School of Creative Media
- Professor Joe Qin Sizhao, Dean, School of Data Science
- Professor Chan Chak-keung, Dean, School of Energy and Environment
- Professor Tan Cheng-han, Dean, School of Law
- Professor Eric Chui Wing-hong, Dean of Students
- Dr Wong Chi-tim, Director of Student Development Services
- Professor Sam Kwong Tak-wu, Director of Communications and Public Relations Office
For the highlights, please click here.