Applicants must satisfy the General Entrance Requirements and have one of the following criteria to be eligible for admission:
- Applicants should have a bachelor degree in a relevant discipline, or obtained an equivalent qualification or provided evidence of academic and professional attainments acceptable for this purpose to the University. Preference for admission is given to individuals who have completed a balanced undergraduate education that includes study in the arts, sciences, humanities and engineering, especially for those who have architecture, planning, civil engineering, surveying and construction related training.
- The admission committee will consider prospective students’ ability and eagerness to be a professional in the discipline of urban planning and design rather than whether their previous experiences relate to urban planning and design.
- Qualifications other than the above-mentioned will be considered on case-by-case basis and endorsement by the College of Engineering will be sought.
- Applicants without the specified academic qualifications may still be considered for admission on a case-by-case basis if they are able to present exceptionally good alternative qualifications and possess substantial technical and management experiences.
Applicants whose entrance qualification is obtained from an institution where the medium of instruction is NOT English should also fulfill the following minimum English proficiency requirement:
- a score of 59 (revised paper-delivered test)^ or 79 (Internet-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)@#; or
- an overall band score of 6.5 in International English Language Testing System (IELTS)@; or
- a score of 450 in the Chinese mainland’s College English Test Band 6 (CET-6); or
- other equivalent qualifications.
^ Effective from 11 April 2021, the TOEFL revised paper-delivered test is no longer offered.
@ TOEFL and IELTS scores are considered valid for two years. Applicants are required to provide their English test results obtained within the two years preceding the start of the University's application period.
# Applicants are required to arrange with the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to send their TOEFL results directly to the University. The TOEFL institution code for CityU is 3401.
In view of the recent development of COVID-19, ‘TOEFL iBT Home Edition’ and ‘IELTS Indicator’, as indicated below, are accepted as equivalent qualifications for the fulfillment of the University’s minimum English proficiency requirement for admission to TPg programmes until further notice:
- TOEFL iBT Home Edition: a score of 79; or
- IELTS Indicator: an overall band score of 6.5