Notes for Applicants

Application Period

Please visit the up-to-date application schedule of various programmes. You are required to submit the online application before the specified deadline for individual programmes.


Programme Information and Entrance Requirements

Please visit the Programme Information for individual programme information including the University’s General Entrance Requirements, Programme Entrance Requirements and English Proficiency Requirements.


Submission of Applications

Please refer to the Steps and Procedures or the Flow Chart for submission of your applications.

To change your contact information, please login to your online application to update your correspondence address, email address and contact phone number at any time. It is important that the email address you provide is correct as successful applicants will be informed by email notification to download the offer letter from their application account. No hard copy of the offer letter will be sent to successful applicants.


Application, Tuition and Other Fees

Application Fees (Non-refundable and Non-transferable)

The application fee for admission to a programme is HK$300 per online application. Please submit additional applications if you wish to apply for more than one programme. The application fee is non-refundable and non-transferable. You are required to pay the application fee online using a credit card (VISA or MasterCard or UnionPay) before submission of the online application.

Tuition Fees

Tuition fees are charged on a credit unit basis. Information on tuition fees for the 2019/20 intake is available under Programme Information for individual programmes.

Other Fees and Charges

CUPA membership fee: CityU Postgraduate Association (CUPA) is a recognised student body for postgraduates that is independent of City University of Hong Kong, with members including taught postgraduate, professional doctorate and research degree students. All postgraduate students of the University will automatically become members of CUPA upon registration. The membership fee will be collected by the Finance Office on behalf of CUPA and included in the first tuition fee statement issued after enrolment to a programme of study. Students can opt to withdraw from CUPA membership within one month from the due date for the first tuition fee payment, and the membership fee will be refunded to them by CUPA. For details about CUPA membership withdrawal, please visit CUPA’s website.

Please visit here for details of other fees and charges relating to taught postgraduate studies (the fees listed are for the current academic year only and are subject to change).


Supporting Documents

The documents to be submitted in supporting your application are listed under the “Supporting Documents” section in the online application. No hard copies of supporting documents will be accepted. Applicants are required to upload the supporting documents online. Please note the following while you are preparing the required documents:

  • Please upload by yourself the required supporting documents for your academic and/or professional qualifications (such as academic transcripts with explanations of the GPA grading system, showing the maximum GPA obtainable (e.g. A=4.0) if a 100-mark system is not adopted, award certificates and public examination / English test results, etc.) before submitting your application. Documents unrelated to academic / professional qualifications (e.g. HKID card) need not to be submitted. (Normally the information on grading system is found presented on the back page of the academic transcripts.)
  • Submitted documents will not be returned.
  • Transcripts and certificates that are not in English should be accompanied by an official certified translation.
  • It is your responsibility (including CityU students) to provide full information to facilitate the evaluation of your application. An incomplete submission may delay the processing of the application.
  • Selection decisions will mainly be based on the qualifications set out in your application. Additional information/documents provided to the University after the commencement of the selection process may or may not be considered, at the discretion of the relevant department.
  • It is your responsibility to provide true and valid information and documents in support of your application. Original documents (including CityU qualifications and public examination results) should be presented for verification upon request by the University at a later time. Provision of any false or misleading information as identified by the University before or after the admission offer or failure to supply the original documentation for verification will lead to disqualification of the admission application and any offer or enrolment made will be rescinded. All fees paid will not be refunded.

Successful applicants will be required to arrange for the original transcript ( with all course records and examination results) to be sent directly to Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies (Taught Postgraduate Admissions) from the issuing university by the deadline stipluated in the offer package.

Applicants are required to arrange for the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to send their TOEFL results directly to the University. The TOEFL institution code for CityU is 3401.


Application Acknowledgement and Results

An acknowledgement message will be shown online immediately after you have successfully settled the application fee via online payment. An acknowledgement email will also be sent upon receipt of your online application.

Depending on the programme you apply for, applications may be reviewed on a rolling basis during the application period or in batches after the application deadline.

You can check your application result online and if you are successful, you may download the offer package through your application account.

If you are successful in your application, we will send you an email notification reminding you to check the application account to view and download the offer letter and to complete the necessary procedures to accept the offer. No hard copy of the letter will be sent to applicants.

For more details, please refer to the Flow Chart for Accepting Offers of Taught Postgraduate Programmes.

Arrange for the original and full transcript to be sent directly to SGS from the issuing university by the stipulated deadline.


Information for Non-local Students

Persons holding the following documents issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department are classified as non-local students: 

  • student visa / entry permit; or
  • visa / entry permit under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG Visa); or
  • dependant visa / entry permit who were aged 18 years old or above when they were issued with such visa / entry permit by the Immigration Department of HKSAR

Due to immigration restrictions, nationals from Afghanistan, Cuba, Laos, North Korea (DPRK), Nepal and Vietnam may not be able to obtain a student visa to study in Hong Kong. For details, please refer to the Hong Kong Immigration Department

Persons holding any of the following documents issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department are classified as local students:

  • Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card
  • Documents issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department certifying the right of abode / right to land in Hong Kong
  • One-way permit for entry to Hong Kong
  • dependant visa / entry permit who were aged below18 years old when they were issued with such visa / entry permit by the Immigration Department of HKSAR
  • Full-time employment visa / work permit (for part-time study)
  • Visa / entry permit for Quality Migrant Admission Scheme
  • Visa / entry permit for Capital Investment Entrant Scheme
  • Visa label for unconditional stay

Student Visa/Entry Permit

Persons who do not have the right of abode or right to land and wish to enter Hong Kong for the purpose of education are required by law to obtain a valid student visa/entry permit issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department before arriving in Hong Kong. It is the student’s responsibility to obtain a valid student visa/entry permit before arrival, and to comply with the terms and conditions of the visa/entry permit. If you are unable to present a valid student visa/entry permit that corresponds to the programme you intend to study, you will not be allowed to enrol in our programme. If you are holding or have applied for a student visa/entry permit but subsequently decide to take up another programme, you may need to apply for a new student visa. Please consult our Global Engagement Office for advice on your actions required for obtaining the appropriate student visa/entry permit. CityU graduates holding an extended student visa/entry permit of the previous programme should apply for another student visa/entry permit for enrolment in the newly admitted programme.

Students admitted from overseas countries should direct their applications for a visa to the Chinese Embassy or Consulate General in their place of residence or to the Immigration Department of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR). As part of the application for a visa, applicants are required to nominate a Hong Kong resident aged 18 or above to act as a sponsor. Those who have difficulty in nominating a sponsor may write to the University to act in this capacity. Mainland students should submit their application for student visa/entry permit via the University which will be required to act as the sponsor for their study. For information on visa/entry permit application, please consult our Global Engagement Office.

In accordance with the regulations of the Immigration Department in Hong Kong, students holding a student visa/entry permit for studying in Hong Kong are allowed to undertake part-time paid employment during their stay in Hong Kong under stipulated conditions.

If you need advice on visa requirements, please consult the Hong Kong Immigration Department, HKSAR. For advice on application for a student visa, please consult the Global Engagement Office.

Personal Accident and Medical Insurance/Travel Insurance

It is mandatory for all non-local students to have suitable and adequate insurance, which includes but is not limited to travel, personal accident, medical expenses (accident and non-accident), hospitalisation and emergency evacuation/repatriation throughout the entire period of their studies in Hong Kong. For further information, please visit the Global Engagement Office.


Multiple Applications

If you wish to apply for more than one programme, click the ‘Apply for a New Programme’ button after logging into your application account.

If you have applied for more than one programme, your programme choices will receive the same priority in our processing. Please note that if you receive more than one admission offer from the University, you can choose to enrol in one programme only.


Simultaneous Registration

Unless otherwise approved by the University, students are not permitted to enrol in an additional CityU programme or government-funded programme/place.



If a student is readmitted to the same programme after withdrawal, termination of studies or completion of an intermediate award, his/her previous period of study will be counted in the calculation of his/her maximum period of study. The student’s credit units and grades previously earned from the same programme are normally counted in the GPA calculation. The final decision on acceptance of credit units and grades rests with the respective academic unit.


Credit Transfer

Transferred credit units must have been earned no earlier than eight years before enrolment at the University. Individual academic units may stipulate a more stringent requirement for transferred credit units, as deemed appropriate.

Starting from Semester A 2018/19, at least 70% of the credit units required for an award of the University must be earned by the successful completion of courses required by the programme concerned. This new requirement will apply to students admitted in Semester A 2018/19 and thereafter.


Current CityU Students (Programme Transfer)

In general, current CityU students who wish to change their programme of study to another programme of the same level may submit an application for programme transfer. A Programme Transfer Application Form is obtainable from the Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies. For details, including the maximum period of study, please refer to the information on programme transfer.


Information for CityU Staff

For CityU staff seeking application for admission, normal admission procedures will apply.


Medium of Instruction and Assessment

The normal medium of instruction and assessment at the University is English.


Use of Application Information Collected

The information that you provide in your application, including your HKID card/passport/travel document number, examination results and qualifications, will be used for the following purposes:


as a basis for various types of processing in relation to your application;


as a basis for the selection of applicants for admission to the programmes offered by the University and for other relevant or related purposes;


to obtain, from the relevant examination authority, assessment body or academic institution in Hong Kong and elsewhere, information about your public examination results, records of studies or professional qualifications if deemed appropriate;


to carry out checks on your applications, and any records of studies at the University and other institutions in Hong Kong and elsewhere if deemed appropriate;


to transfer relevant data to the student record system of the University upon the successful outcome of your application;


for statistical and research purposes (with personal identifiers removed); and


for direct marketing of the University’s programme and activities (if deemed appropriate).


In accordance with the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, you have the right of access to and the right of correction of the information contained in the application form, and the right to request a copy of such data during the admission exercise. If you wish to obtain more information, please write to the Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies. You may be charged a fee for each request. Data on applicants other than those successfully enrolled will be destroyed at the end of the admission exercise.


Applicants with Physical or Other Disabilities

The admission of an applicant to the University is based on academic criteria and other specified entrance requirements. If you have a physical or other disability, you are not required to declare this at the application stage. However, if you need assistance regarding your application (e.g. to attend an interview), you may discuss your needs with us so that special arrangement can be made if practicable.


Cost of Living

The cost of living in Hong Kong is generally high. The estimated basic cost of living for a single student is around HK$11,000 to HK$21,000 per month to cover food, lodging and general living expenses, depending on the type of accommodation selected and level of living and personal expenses. The above estimate does not include the tuition fee, which may vary by programme depending on the credit load to be taken.


Student Accommodation

Except for students offered government-funded places on the Postgraduate Certificate in Law programme (PCLL), who are eligible to apply for student residence, all taught postgraduate students should seek off-campus accommodation as early as possible before arriving in Hong Kong. More information about off-campus accommodation are available here


Cancellation of Programmes

The University reserves the right to cancel any programmes; in this case, all fees paid by applicants will be refunded.


* Information is subject to change without prior notice