General Entrance Requirements
Applicants must satisfy the following University general entrance requirements, as set out below, and the entrance requirements specific to individual programmes.
Applicants for admission to the University’s Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma or Taught Master’s Degree programmes must:
- hold a bachelor’s degree from one of the universities in Hong Kong or from an overseas institution recognised for this purpose by the University; or
- hold such other qualifications as deemed acceptable by the University as equivalent to the above.
Note: Final year undergraduate students who will acquire the requisite academic qualification before the commencement of the programme may apply for admission.
For programme specific entrance requirements, please refer to the Programme Information for details.
English Proficiency Requirements
Applicants whose entrance qualification is obtained from an institution where the medium of instruction is NOT English should also fulfill the following minimum English proficiency requirement^:
- a score of 550 (paper-based test) or 59 (revised paper-delivered test) or 79 (Internet-based test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL#); or
- an overall band score of 6.5 in International English Language Testing System (IELTS); or
- band 6 in the Chinese mainland’s College English Test*; or
- other equivalent qualifications.
(^Individual Colleges and Schools may stipulate a higher English proficiency requirement, or equivalent acceptable qualifications, suitable for their disciplines.)
# Applicants are required to arrange for the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to send their TOEFL results directly to the University. The TOEFL institution code for CityU is 3401.
* Please refer to the new CET-6 score requirement for the individual programme in the Programme Information.
In view of the suspension of TOEFL and IELTS test centres in some countries/ locations due to COVID-19, the following three new/related online English tests namely IELTS Indicator, TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition and Duolingo English Test may be accepted as equivalent qualifications to fulfill the minimum English proficiency requirement^ for admission to TPg programmes in 2020/21 cohort, subject to consideration by individual programmes. Please check with the programme offering department.
• TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition: a score of 79^; or
• IELTS Indicator: an overall band score of 6.5^; or
• Duolingo English Test: a score of 105^.