Notes for Applicants

Application Period

Your provision of all the personal data requested in the application form is obligatory. Your application may not be considered if you fail to provide all information as requested or it is not clear from your statements that you have the minimum qualifications.

Please visit the up-to-date application schedule of various programmes. You are required to submit the online application before the specified deadline for individual programme.


Medium of Instruction and Assessment

The normal medium of instruction and assessment at CityU is English.


Programme Information and Entrance Requirements

Please visit the Programme Information for individual programme information including the General Entrance Requirements of the City University of Hong Kong ("the University"), Programme Specific Entrance Requirements and English Proficiency Requirements.


Submission of Applications

Please refer to the Steps and Procedures or the Flow Chart for submission of your applications.

To change your contact information, please login to your online application to update your correspondence address, email address and contact phone number at any time. It is important that the email address you provide is correct as successful applicants will be informed by email notification to download the offer letter from their application account. No hard copy of the offer letter will be sent to successful applicants.


Application, Tuition and Other Fees

Application Fees (Non-refundable and Non-transferable)

The application fee for admission to a programme is HK$300 per online application. Please submit additional applications if you wish to apply for more than one programme. You are required to pay the application fee online using a credit card (VISA or MasterCard or UnionPay) for submission of your application.

Tuition Fees

Tuition fees are charged on a credit unit basis and details of the fee instalment and payment schedule are given in the Notes to TPg Applicants on Tuition Fee Payment.  Information on tuition fee rate for the upcoming intake is available under Programme Information for individual programme.

Other Fees and Charges

Please visit here for details of other fees and charges relating to taught postgraduate studies (the fees listed are for the current academic year only and are subject to change).


Supporting Documents

1. No hard copy of supporting documents will be accepted. Any submitted documents will NOT be returned.

For Applications (to upload by applicants)

2. Documents to be uploaded by applicants in support of their applications are listed under the “Supporting Documents” section in the online application form. Applicants are required to upload the following documents before submitting their applications:

a) Academic and/or Professional Qualification

  • Degree award certificate
  • Online verification report of the degree award (中國學位電子認證報告) (issued by China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC)(中國學位網) for academic qualifications obtained in mainland China)
  • Official academic transcripts with overall GPA/average marks
  • Official explanations of the GPA grading system, showing the maximum GPA obtainable (e.g. A=4.0) if a 100-mark system is not adopted (normally the information on grading system is presented at the back page of the academic transcripts)
  • Transcripts and certificates that are not in English should be accompanied by an official certified translation.

b) English Proficiency Test Result (if applicable)

  • Official IELTS / TOEFL / CET-6 test results, or other public examinations results, if applicable
  • For TOEFL results, applicants are required to arrange for the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to send the result report directly to CityU. The TOEFL institution code for CityU is 3401.
  • TOEFL and IELTS scores are considered valid for two years. Applicants are required to provide their English test results obtained within the two years preceding the start of the University's application period. 

3. It is your responsibility to provide full, true and valid information to facilitate the evaluation of your application by the relevant academic unit. Incomplete submission may delay in processing your application.

4. Selection decisions will mainly be based on the qualifications set out in your application. Additional information/documents provided to CityU after the start of the selection process may or may not be considered, at the discretion of the relevant academic unit.

5. Original documents (including CityU qualifications and public examination results) should be presented for verification upon request by CityU at a later time.

6. Provision of any false or misleading information as identified by CityU before or after the admission offer or failure to supply the original documentation for verification will lead to disqualification of the admission application and any offer or enrolment made will be rescinded. All fees paid will not be refunded.

After Offer Acceptance (to upload / arrange by applicants)

7. Successful applicants will be required to submit the following documents for qualification checking:

  • For academic qualifications obtained in mainland China, please upload the online verification report of China Higher Education Student's Academic Transcript (中國高等學校學生成績驗證報告) issued by the China Higher Education Student Information and Career Center (CHESICC) (學信網 within one month after your offer acceptance.
  • For academic qualifications obtained in non-local institutions including Macau and Taiwan (except mainland China), please request an official electronic transcript^ (not email attachments) to be sent via designated secure system from the degree award institution to the Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies (Taught Postgraduate Admissions) of CityU via within one month after your offer acceptance. If electronic transcript system is not available from the institution, please request an original official transcript (with all course records and examination results) to be sent directly to the Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies (Taught Postgraduate Admissions) of the City University of Hong Kong in an envelope sealed and stamped by the degree award institution within one month after your offer acceptance.
    ^Official electronic Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR) of UK qualifications/official electronic Diploma Supplement of European qualifications are also deemed acceptable.
  • For academic qualifications obtained from local institutions in Hong Kong (except CityU), please arrange for the original final academic transcript (with all course records and examination results) to be sent directly to the Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies (Taught Postgraduate Admissions) of the City University of Hong Kong together with the transcript submission cover sheet downloaded from your application account in a sealed and stamped envelope from the degree award institution within one month after your offer acceptance.
  • For academic qualifications awarded by CityU, normally the academic transcript with degree award will be retrieved by the University.
  • For applicants who are currently in the final year of their study, they are required to arrange submission of the official FINAL transcript in the way as specified for qualification checking on or before the day of enrolment at CityU.
  • Present the original certificate(s) of qualifications (e.g. degree award certificate, public examination report) to complete the qualification checking on the day of enrolment. Original degree award certificate is not required for mainland qualifications under normal circumstances given that the online verification report of the degree award (中國學位電子認證報告) issued by CDGDC (中國學位網 is available.
  • If TOEFL report is submitted to fulfill the English proficiency requirement, please arrange ETS to send the report directly to the University. The TOEFL institution code for CityU is 3401.

The University reserves the right to require applicants to rearrange submission of official certification of qualifications (e.g. transcript or degree award certificate, etc.) in a specified format if deemed necessary. Please refer to the "Notes for Applicants on Acceptance of Offer" attached to the offer letter for details.


Application Acknowledgement and Results

An acknowledgement message will be shown online immediately after you have successfully settled the application fee via online payment. An acknowledgement email will also be issued upon receipt of your online application.

Depending on the programme you apply for, applications may be reviewed on a rolling basis during the application period or in batches after the application deadline.

You can check your application result online and download the offer package through your application account if your application is successful. You will receive an email notification reminding you to check your application account, download the offer letter and complete the necessary procedures to accept the offer. No hard copy will be issued to applicants.

For more details, please refer to the Flow Chart for Accepting Offers of Taught Postgraduate Programmes.


Qualification Checking and Enrolment

1. Successful applicants will normally be invited for in-person enrolment in August.

2. Qualification checking for successful applicants are required to be completed by the deadline set after offer acceptance or on the day of enrolment.  Applicants will not be allowed to enroll unless all the required documents are checked.

3. Successful applicants should be present in our enrolment counter and complete the enrolment procedures before the semester starts. If you fail to complete the enrollment procedures by the specified date, you will be considered as given up the admission place, and all fees paid will not be refunded.


Information for Non-local Students

Persons holding the following documents issued by the Immigration Department of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) (IMMD) are classified as non-local students: 

  • student visa / entry permit; or
  • visa / entry permit under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG Visa); or
  • dependant visa / entry permit who were aged 18 years old or above when they were issued with such visa / entry permit by IMMD

Due to immigration restrictions, nationals from Afghanistan, Cuba, Laos, North Korea (DPRK), Nepal and Vietnam may not be able to obtain a student visa to study in Hong Kong. For details, please refer to the IMMD.

Persons holding any of the following documents issued by the IMMD are classified as local students:

  • Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card
  • Documents issued by the IMMD certifying the right of abode / right to land in Hong Kong
  • One-way permit for entry to Hong Kong
  • Dependant visa / entry permit who were aged below18 years old when they were issued with such visa / entry permit by the IMMD
  • Full-time employment visa / work permit (for part-time study)
  • Visa / entry permit for Quality Migrant Admission Scheme
  • Visa / entry permit for Capital Investment Entrant Scheme
  • Visa label for unconditional stay


Student Visa/Entry Permit

Persons who do not have the right of abode or right to land and wish to enter Hong Kong for the purpose of education are required by law to obtain a valid student visa/entry permit issued by IMMD before arriving in Hong Kong. It is the student’s responsibility to obtain a valid student visa/entry permit before arrival, and to comply with the terms and conditions of the visa/entry permit. If you are unable to present a valid student visa/entry permit that corresponds to the programme you intend to study, you will not be allowed to enrol in our programme. If you are holding or have applied for a student visa/entry permit but subsequently decide to take up another programme, you may need to apply for a new student visa. CityU graduates holding an extended student visa/entry permit of the previous programme should apply for another student visa/entry permit for enrolment in the newly admitted programme. Please consult our Global Engagement Office (GEO) for advice on your actions required for obtaining the appropriate student visa/entry permit.

Students admitted from overseas countries should direct their applications for a visa to the Chinese Embassy or Consulate General in their place of residence or to the IMMD. As part of the application for a visa, applicants are required to nominate a Hong Kong resident aged 18 or above to act as a sponsor. Those who have difficulty in nominating a sponsor may write to CityU to act in this capacity. Mainland students should submit their application for student visa/entry permit via CityU which will be required to act as the sponsor for their study. For information on visa/entry permit application, please consult our GEO. If you need advice on visa requirements, please consult the IMMD.

In accordance with the regulations of the Immigration Department in Hong Kong, students holding a student visa/entry permit for studying in Hong Kong are allowed to undertake part-time paid employment during their stay in Hong Kong under stipulated conditions.


Personal Accident and Medical Insurance/Travel Insurance

It is mandatory for non-local students to have suitable and adequate insurance throughout the entire period of study at CityU. Your insurance policy should include but not limited to coverages for travel, personal accident, medical expenses (accident and non-accident), hospitalisation and emergency evacuation / repatriation. You are also strongly advised to take out insurance policy that will cover strike, riot, civil commotion, and the pandemic COVID-19. For further information, please consult our GEO.


Multiple Applications

If you wish to apply for more than one programme, click the ‘Apply for a New Programme’ button after logging into your application account.

If you have applied for more than one programme, your programme choices will receive the same priority in our processing. Please note that if you receive more than one admission offer from CityU, you can enrol in one programme only.


Simultaneous Registration

Unless otherwise approved by CityU, students are not permitted to enrol in an additional CityU programme or government-funded programme/place.



If a student is readmitted to the same programme after withdrawal, termination or exit with an intermediate award (but has not exceeded the maximum period of study), his/her previous period of study will be counted in the calculation of his/her maximum period of study. The student’s credit units and grades previously earned from the same programme are normally counted in the GPA calculation. The final decision on acceptance of credit units and grades rests with the respective academic unit.


Credit Transfer

Transferred credit units must have been earned no earlier than eight years before enrolment at CityU. Individual academic units may stipulate a more stringent requirement for transferred credit units, as deemed appropriate.

At least 70% of the credit unit required for an award of CityU must be earned by the successful completion of courses required by the programme concerned.


Minimum Graduation CGPA for Taught Postgraduate Programmes

Besides completing specific requirements of the concerned programme in which students are enrolled, general University requirements, and college/school requirements, if any, students have to achieve a CGPA of 2.85 or above out of 4.3 in order to be granted a taught postgraduate award of the University.


Current CityU Students (Programme Transfer)

In general, current CityU students who wish to change their programme of study to another programme of the same level may submit an application for programme transfer. A Programme Transfer Application Form is obtainable from the Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies. For details, including the maximum period of study, please refer to the information on programme transfer.


Information for CityU Staff

For CityU staff seeking application for admission, normal admission procedures will apply.


Applicants with Physical or Other Disabilities

The admission of an applicant to CityU is based on academic criteria and other specified entrance requirements. If you have a physical or other disability, you are not required to declare this at the application stage. However, if you need assistance regarding your application (e.g. to attend an interview), you may discuss your needs with the programme offering academic unit so that special arrangement can be made if practicable.


Cost of Living

Living costs vary depending on individual lifestyle expectations. The average cost of living in Hong Kong (excluding tuition and accommodation fees) is estimated to be between USD5,900 to USD9,200 a year (2 semesters), including meals, transport, laundry and educational expenses such as books and stationery.


Student Accommodation

Except for students offered government-funded places on the Postgraduate Certificate in Law programme (PCLL), who are eligible to apply for student residence, all taught postgraduate students should seek off-campus accommodation as early as possible before arriving in Hong Kong. More information about off-campus accommodation are available here


Cancellation of Programmes

CityU reserves the right to cancel any programmes; in this case, all fees paid by applicants will be refunded.


Use of Application Information Collected

The information that you provide in your application, including your HKID card/passport/travel document number, examination results and qualifications, will be used for the following purposes:


as a basis for various types of processing in relation to your application;


as a basis for the selection of applicants for admission to the programmes offered by the University and/or in collaboration with other institutions; for other opportunities relating to funding schemes/awards by the University or other parties; and for other relevant or related purposes;


to obtain, from the relevant examination authority, assessment body or academic institution in Hong Kong and elsewhere, information about your examination results, records of studies or professional qualifications if deemed appropriate;


to carry out checks on your applications, and any records of studies at the University and other institutions in Hong Kong and elsewhere if deemed appropriate;


to carry out checks on other information mentioned in your application (e.g. employment records, professional qualifications) with the relevant party/parties if deemed appropriate;


to transfer relevant data to i) the student record system of the University, ii) partner institutions under collaboration arrangements and/or other parties supporting financial schemes/awards, if applicable upon your successful enrolment at the University;


for statistical and research purposes (with personal identifiers removed); and


for direct marketing of the University's programme and activities (if deemed appropriate).

In accordance with the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, you have the right of access to and the right of correction of the information contained in the application form, and the right to request a copy of such data during the admission exercise. If you wish to obtain more information, please write to the Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies. You may be charged a fee for each request. Data on applicants other than those successfully enrolled will be destroyed at the end of the admission exercise.

Please refer to the University’s European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Privacy Notice that may be applicable to you.


* Information is subject to change without prior notice.