Notes for Applicants

* Information is subject to change without prior notice

Your provision of all the personal data requested in the application form is obligatory. Your application may not be considered if you fail to provide all information as requested or it is not clear from your statements that you have the minimum qualifications.

Programme Information and Entrance Requirements

Please visit the Admission Handbook or Programme Information for individual programme information, including the University’s General Entrance Requirements, Programme Entrance Requirements and English Proficiency Requirements.


Medium of Instruction and Assessment

The normal medium of instruction and assessment at the University is English.


Application Fee (Non-refundable and Non-transferable)

The application fees for 2023-24 entry are as follows: 

  Research Degree Programme Professional Doctorate Programme
Online Application HK$200 HK$800


Please submit additional applications if you wish to apply for more than one programme. The application fee is non-refundable and non-transferable. You are required to pay the application fee online using a credit card (VISA or MasterCard) before submitting the online application.

If a paper application is required due to special circumstances, please write to SGS.


Application Period

Please visit here for the up-to-date application periods for various programmes. You are required to submit the online application before the specified deadline.


Supporting Documents

The documents to be submitted in support of your application are listed under the “Supporting Documents” section in the online application. Please note the following while you are preparing the required documents.

  • Please upload the required supporting documents for your academic and/or professional qualifications (such as academic transcripts and award certificates, examination/English test results, etc.) before submitting your application. Documents unrelated to academic qualifications (e.g. HKID card) need not be submitted. 
  • Submitted documents will not be returned. 
  • Transcripts and certificates that are not in English should be accompanied by an official certified translation.
  • It is your responsibility (including CityU students) to provide full information to facilitate the evaluation of your application. Incomplete submission may delay the processing of your application.
  • Selection decisions will mainly be based on the qualifications set out in your application. Additional information/documents provided to the University after the commencement of the selection process may or may not be considered, at the discretion of the relevant department.
  • Original documents (including CityU qualifications and public examination results) should be presented for verification at a later time upon request by the University. Provision of any false or misleading information or failure to supply the original document for verification will lead to disqualification of the admission application and any offer or enrolment made will be rescinded. All fees paid will not be refunded. 


Multiple Applications

If you wish to apply for more than one programme, click the “Apply for a New Programme” button after logging into your application account.

If you apply for more than one programme, your programme choices will receive the same priority in our processing. Please note that if you receive more than one admission offer from the University, you can choose to enrol in one programme only.


Change of Contact Information

Please log in to your online application to update your correspondence address, email address and contact phone number at any time.


Use of Application Information Collected

1. The information that you provide in the application, including the HKID card/passport/travel document number, examination results and qualifications, will be used for the following purposes:
(a) as a basis for various types of processing in relation to your application;
(b) as a basis for the selection of applicants for admission to the programmes offered by the University and for other relevant or related purposes ;
(c) to obtain from the relevant examination authority, assessment body or academic institution in Hong Kong and elsewhere information about your public examination results, records of studies or professional qualifications if deemed appropriate;
(d) to carry out checks of your applications, and any records of studies in the University and other institutions in Hong Kong and elsewhere if deemed appropriate;
(e) to transfer relevant data to the student record system of the University upon the successful outcome of your application;
(f) to carry out checks on other information mentioned in your application (e.g. employment records, professional qualifications) with the relevant party/parties if deemed appropriate;  
(g) for statistical and research purposes (with personal identifiers removed);
(h) for direct marketing of the University's programme and activities (if deemed appropriate).
2. In accordance with the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, you have the right of access to and the right of correction of the information contained in the application form, and the right to request a copy of such data during the admission exercise. If you wish to obtain more information, please write to the Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies. You may be charged a fee for each request. Data for unsuccessful applications will be destroyed at the end of the admission exercise.

Please refer to the University’s European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Privacy Notice that may be applicable to you.


Applicants with Physical or Other Disabilities

The admission of an applicant to the University is based on academic criteria and other specified entrance requirements. If you have a physical or other disability, you are not required to declare this at the application stage. However, if you need assistance regarding your application (e.g. to attend an interview), you may discuss your needs with us so that special arrangements can be made if practicable.


Information for CityU Staff

For CityU staff seeking application for admission, normal admission procedures will apply.

Academic staff of the University are not allowed to pursue a research degree in their own Department/School under the supervision of colleagues from the same Department/School.


Information for International and Mainland Applicants

Non-local students are persons who require a student visa/entry permit issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department to study in Hong Kong. Persons holding any of the following documents issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department are considered as local students:

  • Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card;
  • Hong Kong Identity Card showing right to land status;
  • One-way permit for entry to Hong Kong;
  • Dependant visa / entry permit who were aged below 18 years old when they were issued with such visa / entry permit by the Immigration Department of HKSAR;
  • Full-time employment visa/work permit (for part-time study);
  • Entry visa/entry permit for quality migrants;
  • Entry visa/entry permit for capital investment entrants; or
  • Other documents issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department certifying the applicant's right of abode or right to land in Hong Kong.

Student Visa/Entry Permit

Non-local students must obtain a student visa or an entry permit to study in Hong Kong.

Students admitted from overseas countries should direct their applications for a visa to the Chinese Embassy or Consulate General in their place of residence or to the Immigration Department of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR). As part of the application for a visa, applicants are required to nominate a Hong Kong resident aged 18 or above to act as a sponsor. Those who have difficulty in nominating a sponsor may write to the University to act in this capacity. For mainland students, the University will be required to act as the sponsor for their study.

In accordance with the regulations of the Immigration Department in Hong Kong, students holding a student visa or an entry permit for studying in Hong Kong are allowed to undertake part-time paid employment during their stay in Hong Kong under stipulated conditions.

If you need advice on visa requirements, please consult the Hong Kong Immigration Department, HKSAR.


Personal Accident and Medical Insurance/Travel Insurance

It is mandatory for non-local students to purchase a personal accident and medical/travel insurance policy during their study period at the University. For further information, please visit the Global Engagement Office.

Cost of Living

The cost of living in Hong Kong is generally high. The estimated basic cost of living for a single student is around HK$13,000 to HK$23,000 per month to cover food, lodging and general living expenses, depending on the type of accommodation selected and level of living and personal expenses. The above estimate does not include the tuition fee, which may vary by programme and depending on the credit load to be taken.


Student Accommodation

The University offers on-campus accommodation for full-time research students in UGC-funded programmes. Due to the very limited residence places and increasing demand, the University is unable to offer residence places to UGC-funded research students for their entire study period. Furthermore, there is no guarantee at all that students will be granted residence places during their studies. Applications for residence places are made on a yearly basis and places for UGC-funded research students are primarily allocated by drawing lots. Students who are interested in applying for a place in the student residence can submit an online application during the specified application period. For details, please refer to the Student Residence Website during application periods.


Cancellation of Programmes

The University reserves the right to cancel any programmes, in which case all fees paid by applicants will be refunded.