This programme aims to develop students' creative thinking through tackling important strategic industrial projects and meeting the specific needs of industry. Students will pursue the study of engineering management and industrial research of a high order while carrying on with their professional duties. The originality and value of the students' research will be assessed within their specific professional and industrial contexts. As professional activity is usually multi-disciplinary and business- and management-driven, the programme will include a wide variety of coursework on Engineering Management. The programme provides an integrated curriculum of theory, practice and research to develop professionals' creative thinking and capabilities in the application of knowledge to solve important strategic problems in industry.
Year of Entry2021
Application DeadlineLocal & Non-local : 28 Feb 2021
Mode of Study混合
Mode of FundingNon-government-funded
Indicative Intake Target5 (The programme can admit more students based on the candidates’ academic merit and work experience.)
Minimum No. of Credits Required57
Class ScheduleWeekday evenings and Saturday afternoons
Normal Study Period4 years
Maximum Study Period6 years
To be eligible for admission to a professional doctorate programme, applicants must meet the University’s general entrance requirements and the entrance requirements specific to individual programmes:
- hold a Master’s degree in a related engineering discipline/profession (or equivalent qualification)* from a recognised university; and
- have at least five years’ recent work experience at a senior level.
- The University may prescribe other additional entry qualifications, as deemed appropriate.
* Equivalent qualifications mentioned above include relevant professional qualifications or other scholarly achievements recognised by the University.
Applicants from a university where the language of teaching is not English should satisfy the following minimum English proficiency requirement:
- a TOEFL total score of 550 (paper-based test) or 79 (Internet-based test); or 59 (revised Paper-delivered test; sum of Reading, Listening and Writing section scores)#; or
- an overall band score of 6.5 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)#; or
- band 6 in mainland China’s College English Test; or
- other equivalent qualifications.
# TOEFL and IELTS scores are considered valid for two years from the test date and must be valid at the time of submission of application.
The programme comprises a taught component and a research component.
The taught component comprises 9 credit units of core courses and 12 credit units of elective courses. The taught courses available to ENGDEM students comprehensively cover a mixture of technology, innovation management and experience to provide industry with competent and knowledgeable managers in the fields of technology and innovation.
Industry is in great need of people who can implement new technologies and knowledge in business. The core courses are designed to equip students to meet the immediate needs of industry for innovative application and implementation of state-of-the-art knowledge and technology.
Integrative Engineering Management
Research Methods in Engineering Management
There will be a series of electives in engineering management.
The research component comprises a 36 credit units thesis with a normal duration of 3 years.
Quantitative Modelling and System Analysis
- Data Mining
- Industrial Statistics
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Operational Research and Decision Sciences
- Quality Engineering and Management
- Reliability Engineering
- Risk Analysis and Management
- System Informatics
Innovation and Technology Management
- Engineering Asset Management
- Green Manufacturing Systems
- Human Factors and Ergonomics
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Knowledge Management
- Occupational Safety and Health
- Project Management
- Production and Operations Management
This programme is self-financed without studentship.