Student Exchange (Outbound)

Student exchange can be a good learning experience. Joining a student exchange programme allows you to live and study overseas for a few months. During that period, you are registered as a full time student in an overseas institution. Course credits earned can be counted towards your academic programme at CityU.

Student exchange is becoming more popular among university students worldwide in recent years. Many students joined student exchange programmes. They went to the USA, Canada, France, Sweden, Switzerland, Austria, Finland, UK, The Netherlands, Japan, Singapore, mainland China, and other places. The department has also been hosting exchange students from various countries.

Where to go ?

CityU has exchange agreements with a large number of overseas institutions. All CityU students may apply to those institutions for student exchange. The College of Engineering (CENG) and our department also have agreements with a number of institutions. Our students may apply to these institutions as well

Institution with Departmental Student Exchange Agreement

University Country

Management Center Innsbruck

Academic Calendar:
Fall semester*: beginning of October – mid-February
Spring semester: beginning of March – end of June
* For Mechatronics, beginning of September – mid-December.

Home page of the institute
Information on Student Exchange

Course selection
(courses taught entirely in English)



Institute Quotas (2022-23)
Management Center Innsbruck (Austria) 4 *

* shared with MNE and ADSE

How to apply ?

The main round of application is in the beginning of sem B. Students interested in student exchange in either semester A or B in the following year should apply. A clearing round of application is in the beginning of semester A. It is for exchange in the following sem B. Please note that most of the exchange offers are given out in the main round.

Application forms can be obtained in AIMS or from Global Engagement Office (GEO).

Note that while a high CGPA helps in the application, interview performance is also important.

Financial support is available through GEO (Hong Kong permanent residents only). Additional support is also available through CENG in conjunction with the department.

Guidelines on Credit Transfer for Outbound Exchange Students

  1. The guidelines are applicable for all outgoing exchanges established at Departmental, College or Institutional level.
  2. Students should comply to the academic regulation (10) “Maximum and Minimum Study Load” under which except for the Summer Term, full-time students must register for courses at least 12 credits and for not more than 18 credits.
  3. Students should achieve the minimum requirement (grade C or equivalent) for an exchange course with which credit transfer will be sought for.
  4. The credit transfer for completed exchange courses conducted in languages other than English will be capped at 12 credits.
  5. The maximum number of credit transfer for BME students to fulfill their core and/or elective courses requirement will be capped at 12 credits.
  6. The University’s guidelines on credit transfer are available from:
    Source from Aims > Uni Services > ARRO Student Services > Credit Transfer > Approval Guidelines

The number of credit units transferred to CityU should be determined with regard to CityU's practice of granting one credit unit for forty-to-fifty hours of student work.

*Please take note of the European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Privacy Notice if you are an outbound student joining exchange programme(s) in the European Union (EU) or United Kingdom (UK) partner universities.

To find out more

Visit the Global Engagement Office (GEO) and the CENG student exchange websites.


Student Exchange Coordinator

Coordinator: Dr. Pakpong Chirarattananon

Last modified on 28 June, 2022