FAQs on Friends Email Service (FES) for Retirees
A retiree who accepts, in writing, HRO's invitation for the CityU Friends Email Service (FES) is required to activate his/her Friends Email Account (FEA) by supplying a password of his/her choice through the link "Activate Friends Email Service" under the Friends tab of the Email Services home page. It is an invited service by HRO only meaning that retirees will not get the FEA automatically. Below are some of the important issues regarding the FES:
- Retirees refer to retirng staff who leave the University employment on normal or early retirement fulfilling any one of the following conditions:
- Staff appointed on superannuable terms/gratuity-bearing substantiated or continuous terms, and have attained the retirement age as defined in the staff member's employment contract, i.e. 65 or 60 (staff joined the University before 1 January 1990 and have elected or deemed to have elected to retain age 60 as retirement age)
- Staff appointed on superannuable terms/gratuity-bearing substantiated or continuous terms, and permitted by the University to go for early retirement at the age of 55 or above
- Staff who have been continuously appointed on gratuity-bearing contract terms and have attained the age of 65 with service of 10 years or more on leaving the University employment
- An FEA takes on the notation "<EID>@friends.cityu.edu.hk", where "<EID>" is the CityU Electronic ID (EID).
- Once the FEA is successfully activated, the FEA can be accessed through the Email Services home page.
- If a retiree, after accepting in writing HRO's invitation for FES, do not activate his/her FEA within 90 days after his/her last day of service, he/she is considered no longer interested in the FES and his/her FEA will be deleted from the system.
- If the account is not used for more than 3 years, the account will be considered no longer required by the retiree and it will cease to be accessible and operative. Emails therein, if any, will be removed from the system immediately.
- All emails sent from the FES, including replies and forwarded email, will contain the following disclaimer of the University:
“This courtesy email account is provided to the retiree of City University of Hong Kong (CityU). This email (including any attachments) does not represent CityU in any manner. This email is intended for communications on personal capacity and is used for the intended recipient only.”
- The FES is provided through Google Workspace for Education, which is a suite of communication and collaboration applications.
Return to Email FAQ page