College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences

Inbound Exchange

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. How can I submit my visa application and how long does it take ?
You may choose to submit your visa application to the nearest Chinese Consulate-General in your country or request our Global Engagement Office (GEO) to file your application to the Hong Kong Immigration Department. It normally takes a few weeks for GEO to check your documents and submit your application to the Immigration Department on receiving the full set of your supporting documents. The Immigration Department will take an additional 4 to 6 weeks to process your visa application upon receipt of all relevant documents. Upon successful completion of visa application, GEO will collect the visa on your behalf and send it to you directly by express.
Q2. As a British passport holder, do I need a student visa to study in Hong Kong?
Yes, if you have never been a resident in Hong Kong you have to obtain a student visa.
Q3. As an exchange student in Hong Kong, am I eligible to work?
According to Hong Kong Immigration Law, all non-local students are not allowed to be employed (paid or unpaid), or to establish a business, nor, except in the most unusual circumstances, to change their immigration status after arrival.
Q4. Do I need to purchase medical insurance during my study period?
Yes, you do. All non-local students are required to subscribe to a personal accident and medical insurance / travel insurance policy that covers medical care and hospitalisation during your stay in Hong Kong.