Sending/Viewing Confidential Email with Microsoft Outlook 2010
How to setup Outlook 2010 for sending/viewing confidential email?
(It is highly recommended to upgrade your Outlook 2010 to 2016 for better email and O365 experiences.)
- Bring up the Work Desk from your desktop.
- Click MS RMS Sharing Application (for Office 2010 Only) and it will start installing Microsoft RMS Sharing Application to your Windows PC.
(Or you may download it directly from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40857)
- Wait for a while and the following "Configure Office 2010" dialog box will be shown.
- Click Next and you will be asked for user credentials.
- Enter your email address in the format "email@example.com" and password. Make sure the options Remember me and Remember my password are checked and click OK.
- The system may ask for your credential for one or two times again, please re-enter your password as prompt and click OK.
- When the configuration finished, the following dialog box will be shown.
- Click Restart to restart your PC.
- Start your Outlook 2010 again and double-click the confidential email. The following dialog box will be shown.
- Check Don't show this message again and click OK.
How to send confidential email to staff?
Click New E-mail.
Add CityU recipient(s) with email addresses in @cityu.edu.hk domain.
Include the keyword #classified (case insensitive) in the email Subject field.
(Or you may select the Options tab, click Permission and then select CityU - #classified email instead.)
If MS Office documents (Word/Excel/PowerPoint/InfoPath/XPS) are attached, they will be automatically protected with the same restricted access permission even when they are downloaded/detached from the email. But PDF and image type (PNG/JPEG/GIF) attachments will not be protected if they are downloaded/detached from the email. To share protected PDF and image files by email, please use RMS sharing application.
If you would like to send confidential email as read-only (i.e. recipient(s) cannot print, edit, or forward the email), select the Options tab, click Permission and then select CityU - Read-Only. (the label #classified is optional as all read-only email is encrypted by default)
How to send confidential email to students, alumni and external parties?
Click New E-mail.
Add recipient(s) outside @cityu.edu.hk domain.
Include the keyword #external (case insensitive) in the email Subject field.
(Detailed information on the use of #classified and #external keywords can be found here.)
Note: Attachments are encrypted with the email, but they are not natively protected with restricted access permission (i.e. they will NOT be encrypted/protected if they are downloaded/detached from the email)
How to view confidential email?
When receiving confidential email with #external keyword, CityU email system will decrypt it automatically prior to delivering it to your mailbox. You can consider it as normal email (For external recipients to view/reply to confidential email with #external keyword, please refer to here.).
When you receive confidential email from internal senders, Outlook displays it with an icon
When you select the email item, you may see
Double click the email item to open it.
Following message may popup, check Don't show this message again and click OK.
To open protected file with file name extension .ppdf/.pjpg/.ppng/.pgif/.ptxt/.pfile attached in the email, the Microsoft Rights Management (RMS) sharing application is required. Please visit here for details.
How to reply confidential email?
You can reply to confidential email as replying to normal email. Replied email is confidential as well.
Note: When receiving confidential email with #external keyword, CityU email system will decrypt it automatically prior to delivering it to your mailbox. To reply to this type of email with encryption, please make sure the keyword #external (case insensitive) is included in the email subject.