Microsoft 365 Apps
Eligible staff are entitled to Microsoft 365 Apps, under which they can install and use the latest versions of Microsoft Office software under Microsoft 365 Apps via the University's Enrollment for Education Solutions with Microsoft. This allows eligible staff free installation of MS Office software on up to a maximum of five PCs or Macs. Staff can also run Office Mobile for Android or Office Mobile for iPhone on up to 5 mobile devices.
Important: By installing any of the MS Office software in Microsoft 365 Apps, staff has agreed to comply with the proper and legal use of the software of Microsoft 365 Apps and is liable for any improper and illegal use of the software.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What is Microsoft 365 Apps?
Microsoft 365 Apps includes the following Microsoft software: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, OneNote, Publisher, Access, and Skype for Business.
- How can I tell whether I am eligible for Microsoft 365 Apps?
- Login to Microsoft 365 using a browser.
- Click on account profile at the top right-hand corner.
- Select "My Account" and then Select "Apps & devices".
If you are eligible, you will see the Microsoft Office software for installation.
- I am eligible, but I am not in HK. Can I install Microsoft 365 Apps from a remote site through the web?
Yes, if you are eligible for Microsoft 365 Apps, you can install the MS Office software from a remote site through the web via your University Microsoft 365 account.
- Is Microsoft 365 Apps free of charge?
The right to use the license is free and each eligible staff is entitled to Microsoft 365 Apps as long as the University is still subscribing to Microsoft 365 Apps, which the University will review annually.
- How long will the University still subscribe to Microsoft 365 Apps?
The subscription to Microsoft 365 Apps is made annually, and the University will review each year whether or not to continue Microsoft 365 Apps subscription or adopt other subscription model.
Should the subscription to Microsoft 365 Apps be discontinued/altered, staff who have installed MS Office software obtained via Microsoft 365 Apps will have to comply with the changes which may require the uninstallation of all/some MS Office software from their PCs/Macs/mobile devices.
- How many installation times will be allowed?
Each eligible staff is allowed free installation of MS Office software on up to a maximum of 5 PCs or Macs owned and used by the staff. The staff can also run Office Mobile for Android or Office Mobile for iPhone on up to 5 mobile devices. Staff who want to install the software/app for more than 5 times can deactivate their unused installation.
- How long can I keep my license for Microsoft 365 Apps?
Staff must at least connect to the Internet once every 30 days for the Microsoft to verify that he/she is still eligible for the program. When the license expires, staff retains read-only access to his/her Microsoft Office files.
- Can I share the license with other family members?
No, the products are licensed solely for your own use as a CityU staff for your academic work. The license is not transferable, and it must not be shared with anyone, not even another CityU staff.
- Does the software provided in the Microsoft 365 Apps support Windows OS language platforms other than English?
Staff can choose to install various language versions of Microsoft Office through their University Microsoft 365 accounts.
- What Operating System does the Microsoft 365 Apps support?
Microsoft 365 Apps consists of:
- Microsoft 365 Apps for PC
- Microsoft 365 Apps for Mac
- Office Mobile for Windows Phone
- Office Mobile for iPhone
- Office Mobile for Android, etc.
Staff can select Windows, Macintosh and versions for mobile devices. Please note that you need to have the respective PCs/Macs/mobile devices for installing the respective versions, e.g. a Macintosh machine to install the Macintosh version of MS Office software.
- Is there any guide for setting up Microsoft 365 Apps?
A step-by-step guide can be found at
Note that guide is for students. You should type in your username in the form of EID@um.cityu.edu.hk.