Visiting Research Students


Students enrolling in a postgraduate programme in a recognised university may apply for admission as visiting research students to pursue part of their research studies in the University. Those who do not fall within this category may also apply, and their applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

For more details, please refer to Guidelines Governing the Admission of Visiting Research Students.

Study Period and Supervisory Arrangement

The minimum study period for visiting research students should not be less than two months and the maximum study period should normally be one year. Applications for a study period of more than one year or for a subsequent extension of the study period will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Each visiting research student will be attached to a Department, which is responsible for supervising the student’s study at the University. Departments will assign a faculty member as the supervisor, who will provide academic advice and guidance on the student’s progress throughout his or her stay at the University.

Application Fee (Non-refundable and Non-transferable)

A non-refundable fee of HK$200 is charged for each application. You are required to pay the application fee online using a credit card (VISA or MasterCard), before submitting the online application.

Application Period

Applications for visiting research study are accepted throughout the year. As it normally takes 3 months to process a student visa, you are advised to submit the online application at least 4 months before the proposed visiting study period.

Applicants are strongly advised to visit respective College/School/Department’s website for specific requirements and contact the corresponding Research Degree Coordinator before submitting the applications.

Supporting Documents

The documents to be submitted in support of your application are listed under the “Supporting Documents” section in the online application. Please note the following while you are preparing the required documents:

  • Recommendation letter from present university.
  • Please upload the required supporting documents for your academic and/or professional qualifications (such as academic transcripts and award certificates, English test or examination results, letter certifying your current programme of study, etc.) before submitting your application. Documents unrelated to your academic qualifications (e.g., HKID card or passport) need not be submitted.
  • Submitted documents will not be returned.
  • Transcripts and certificates that are not in English should be accompanied by an official certified translation.
  • It is your responsibility to provide full information to facilitate the evaluation of your application. Incomplete submission may delay the processing of the application.
  • Original documents (including CityU qualifications and public examination results) should be presented for verification upon enrolment. Provision of any false or misleading information or failure to supply the original documentation for verification will lead to disqualification of the application and enrolment will be rescinded. The will be no refund of any fees paid.


Applicants who are offered admission should pay a research component fee upon enrolment and complete the registration procedures in person at the Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies within the specified registration period. A visiting student identity card, valid for the period of the student’s stay at the University, will be issued on completion of the registration procedures.

Such students will not be registered in a specific programme of study, and their study at the University will not lead to a degree or other University award. At the end of their stay with the University, they will be issued an academic report.

Study-related Fees

The following fees are applicable to visiting research students:

Academic Year 2022 - 23 (September 2022 - August 2023)

Types of Fee

Mode of Study




Research component fee

HK$1,170 per calendar month

  • Non-refundable
  • To be paid upon student registration

Fee for visiting research students taking taught courses

Per credit unit tuition fee at the fee level for the relevant programme

  • Non-refundable
  • To be paid before the deadline stipulated by the University

Please note the following:

  • Fees, once paid, are non-refundable.
  • Fees are subject to revision from time to time without prior notification.


Visiting research students may undertake taught courses as regular students do. A fee calculated on a credit unit basis will be charged for the course(s) taken.

The coursework assessment results will be recorded in the academic report issued to visiting research students at the end of their stay at the University.

Responsibility and Entitlement

Visiting research students must observe the rules and regulations prescribed by the University.

They can gain access to essential academic services and facilities (e.g., library and computing services) at the University but are not eligible to apply for residential accommodation available on campus.

Such students are not entitled to any financial assistance or awards offered by the University, such as Postgraduate Studentships and Research Tuition Scholarships. They are also not eligible for medical and dental benefits. Therefore, students are strongly advised to acquire travel insurance and any other medical or insurance coverage they consider necessary for their stay in Hong Kong.

At the end of their study at the University, visiting research students will be issued an academic report, detailing, amongst other things, their period of stay at the University and the coursework, if any, they have undertaken.

Within one month of completing their visiting research studies, students are required to complete Form SGS20 “Report on Visiting Studies at CityU” and a “Survey on Expectations and Experience of Visiting Research Students at CityU”.

Use of Application Information

Application information including your HKID card/passport number will be used in the admission evaluation process. Upon your enrolment in the University, such information will become part of your student record and may be used for all purposes relating to your study in accordance with the procedures of the University.

In accordance with the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, you have the right of access to and the right of correction of the information contained in your application form, and the right to request a copy of such data. If you wish to obtain more information, please write to the write to the Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies. You may be charged a fee for each request.

The application data relating to unsuccessful applicants will be destroyed at the end of the admission exercise.

Please refer to the University’s European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Privacy Notice that may be applicable to you.

Non-local Applicants [same for International & Mainland Students]

Non-local students must obtain a student visa or an entry permit to study in Hong Kong. If you need advice on visa requirements, please consult the HKSAR Immigration Department. For applicants from the mainland, Taiwan and Macao, the cumulative duration of short-term studies taken up by any student should not exceed 180 days within any 12-month period. If you need further information, please refer to the HK Immigration Department's Guidebook for Entry for Study in Hong Kong.