Chinese Academy of Sciences delegation visits CityU to expand cooperation
Share this article
Welcoming the delegation, Professor Tong stressed CityU's commitment to high quality application-oriented research and said he hoped "new friends can soon become old friends" through exchange and cooperation.
Professor Wong, who spearheads research efforts at CityU, told the visitors that the University's strategy is to focus its resources on selected research areas to maximize effects. He also introduced CityU's research support infrastructure, funding allocation, five major research centres, strong research team, research products and patents, and international recognition.
Professor Shi explained how the 96 research institutes and over 40,000 researchers under the Chinese Academy of Sciences strive to support the nation's development, advance cutting-edge technology and respond to the economic and social requirements of different regions. In recent years, to align with the rapid economic development of coastal areas, the Academy has established institutes with different objectives in Shandong, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Fujian and Guangdong to support sustainable development in these provinces as well as the whole country. "We wish to come to learn from CityU, deepen our understanding and expand our cooperation," he said.
After Professor Shi's presentation, Professor Rudolf Wu Shiu-sun, Director of the Centre for Marine Environmental Research and Innovative Technology, and Professor Lee Shuit-tong, Director of the Centre for Super-Diamond and Advanced Films, briefly introduced the work of their centres. Professor Johnny Chan Chung-leung, Associate Dean of the Faculty of Science and Engineering, then reported on the latest developments of the CityU-IAP Laboratory for Atmospheric Sciences.
Members of the delegation in return introduced the work of their research centres. The experts who spoke included:
· Professor Yan Qing, Deputy Director of Ningbo Institute of Material Technology & Engineering;
· Professor Zhao Jingzhu, Leader of the Preparatory Team for Xiamen Institute of Urban Environment;
· Professor Shi Ping, Leader of the Preparatory Team for Yantai Institute of Coastal Zone Research for Sustainable Development;
· Professor Wang Lisheng, Leader of the Preparatory Team for Qingdao Institute of Biomass Energy and Bioprocess Technology;
· Professor Liu Peihua, Deputy Director of Suzhou Institute of Nano-tech & Nano-bionics; and
· Professor Fan Jiangping, Leader of the Preparatory Team for Shenzhen Institute of Advanced Technology.
They briefly reported on progress in setting up the new institutes, research objectives, major work and future plans.
There are many opportunities for collaboration between CityU and the Academy as the research orientation of both institutions emphasizes application, practical value and close cooperation with industry.