How to set up Automatic Replies (Vacation Notice) in Microsoft 365?
You can set up Automatic Replies (Vacation Notice) in your Microsoft 365 (M365) account by using Automatic Replies which is provided in either MS Outlook or Microsoft 365 Outlook Web App (OWA).
For the set-up procedure of MS Outlook 2019, please refer to
Below is the procedure for setting up Automatic Replies in your M365 account with Outlook Web App (OWA):
- Login your M365 account with Microsoft 365 OWA.
- Click gear icon at the top-right corner of OWA window. Select “View all Outlook setting”.
- Select “Automatic replies” under “Mail”
- Turn on “Automatic replies on”. If you want to use schedule, you will check “Send replies only during a time period”. Then specify “Start time” and “End time”.
- Type response for internal sender inside your organization. (Note: Between staff and student/alumni are treated as external senders)
- If you want to send message to external senders, you will check “Send replies outside your organization”.
- Type response for sender outside your organization.
- Click “Save” to quit.
- "Internal Sender" means the email sender is also a CityU M365 user whose Email Address ends with
- If you do not enter text in the text fields and the Automatic Replies are enabled, senders will not
receive an auto-reply message.
To turn off Automatic Replies
Select the "Don't send automatic replies" to disable them. By default, Automatic Replies are disabled.
Return to FAQs on CityU Microsoft 365