General Entrance Requirements
Applicants must satisfy the University's general entrance requirements and the following programme-specific entrance requirements:
- Possess a recognised undergraduate degree in Biological/Medicine/Veterinary/Animal/Health/ Environmental Sciences/Statistics/Mathematics/Biostatistics/Data Science/Microbiology or a related discipline;
- Preference for admission will be given to high calibre individuals with a scientific background and who have completed a holistic undergraduate education covering statistics, cell biology, biochemistry, physiology, pathology, ecology, infectious diseases, pharmacology, food engineering, health sciences.
English Proficiency Requirements
Applicants whose entrance qualification is obtained from an institution where the medium of instruction is NOT English should also fulfill the following minimum English proficiency requirement^:
- a score of 59 (revised paper-delivered test)^ or 79 (Internet-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)@#; or
- an overall band score of 6.5 in International English Language Testing System (IELTS)@; or
- a score of 450 in band 6 of the Chinese mainland’s College English Test; or
- other equivalent qualifications.
^ Effective from 11 April 2021, the TOEFL revised paper-delivered test is no longer offered.
@TOEFL and IELTS scores are considered valid for two years. Applicants are required to provide their English test results obtained within the two years preceding the commencement of the University's application period.
# Applicants are required to arrange with the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to send their TOEFL results directly to the University. The TOEFL institution code for CityU is 3401.
In view of the recent development of COVID-19, ‘TOEFL iBT Home Edition’ and ‘IELTS Indicator’, as indicated below, are accepted as equivalent qualifications for the fulfillment of the University’s minimum English proficiency requirement for admission to TPg programmes until further notice:
• TOEFL iBT Home Edition: a score of 79; or
• IELTS Indicator: an overall band score of 6.5