The programme aims to produce data-analytic and business-aware graduates to meet the growing demand for high-level data science skills and to prepare graduates to apply data science techniques to knowledge discovery and dissemination in organizational decision-making. It is also intended to help established data analytic professionals upgrade their technical management and development skills and to provide a solid path for students from diverse fields to rapidly transition to data science careers.
Year of Entry2020
Application DeadlineApplication Closed
Mode of StudyCombined †
Mode of FundingNon-government-funded
Indicative Intake Target100
Minimum No. of Credits Required30
Class ScheduleWeekday evenings
Normal Study PeriodFull-time: 1 year;
Part-time: 2 years;
Maximum Study PeriodFull-time: 2.5 years;
Part-time/Combined mode: 5 years;
Mode of ProcessingApplications are processed on a rolling basis. Review of applications will start before the deadline and continue until all places are filled. Early applications are therefore strongly encouraged.
Applicant must be a degree holder in Engineering, Science or other relevant disciplines, or its equivalent
Non-local candidates from an institution where medium of instruction is not English should fulfill one of the following English proficiency requirements.
- a score of 550 (paper-based test) or 59 (revised paper-delivered test) or 79 (Internet-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); or
- an overall band score of 6.5 in International English Language Testing System (IELTS); or
- a minimum score of 450 in band 6 in the Chinese mainland’s College English Test (CET6); or
- other equivalent qualifications
Fellowship awards are available for local students admitted to this programme under the Fellowships Scheme supported by the HKSAR Government. This programme in the priority area of “Research and Innovation” is one of the targeted programmes listed under the Fellowships Scheme with 9 fellowship awards. Local students admitted to the programme in full-time, part-time or combined study mode will be invited to submit applications for the fellowships.
Core Courses (15 credit units)
- Exploratory Data Analysis and Visualization
- Research Projects for Data Science
- Statistical Machine Learning I
- Statistical Machine Learning II
- Storing and Retrieving Data
Electives (15 credit units)
- Bayesian Data Analysis
- Data Analytics for Smart Cities
- Dynamic Programming and Reinforcement Learning
- Experimental Design and Regression
- Information Security for eCommerce
- Machine Learning
- Machine Learning at Scale
- Natural Language Processing
- Optimization for Data Science
- Privacy-enhancing Technologies
- Storing and Retrieving Data
- Time Series and Panel Data
Remarks: Course offering is subject to sufficient enrolment.
The full MSc degree award requires 30 credit units, with the completion of taught courses only, or taught courses plus the dissertation project.