What should I do when I receive spam?
Please avoid doing the following when you receive spam:
- Do NOT open any files attached with the mail. These attachments may contain computer virus or indecent materials.
- Do NOT click on any links or pictures in the mail . This includes the "Click Here to Unsubscribe" and "Remove me" links, because spammers may use these links to verify that your email address is valid.
- Do NOT reply, because:
- Very often the sender and return addresses of the spam mail are fake.
- The spammers will know that your email address is valid and active if they receive any email from you.
- Do NOT forward the spam to your friends and acquaintances.
- NEVER buy/enquire any products/services from spammers.
You can do the following:
- You can simply delete the spam messages.
- You can setup Spam Auto-filtering rules in your Microsoft 365 (M365) account to filter spam/junk email automatically. Please refer to here for details
Return to University In-house Email Service FAQ page