Details of 2023 competition will be released soon, stay tuned!
Congratulations to All the Winners of CityU Science Video Competition 2022
Secondary school students were invited to join the first CityU Science Video Competition 2022 by submitting videos that explain scientific principles or phenomena. The competition has received an overwhelming response with over 160 teams participating. We are pleased to announce the winners of the competition:-
|School Name||Student Name||Video|
|Gold Award||Queen Elizabeth School Old Students' Association Tong Kwok Wah Secondary School||Cheung Chun Wing
Lau Kin Yuen
Lee Kwan Wai
Wu Ka Ching
|Gold Award||Tsuen Wan Public Ho Chuen Yiu Memorial College||Tsang Chun Ho
Lo Long Yin
Wan Lap Sing
Yam Kai Yin
So Tsz Lung Danny
Choi Yan Hong
Liu Yat Yiu Yan Qingdong
|Basketball, Trebuchet & Projectile Motion
|Silver Award||Marymount Secondary School||Chau Wing Yan
Chiu Lok Hei
|Voluntary Action, Involuntary Action and Reflex Action
|Silver Award||Our Lady of the Rosary College||Chui Bik Ki
Luk Yuen Wai
Hung Wing Yin Joanna
Chan Lok Hei
Kong Hui Yau Katrina
Au Ching Ling
|煙花的奧秘 The Mystery of Fireworks
|Silver Award||Singapore International School (Hong Kong)||Chan Ying Yong Grace
Woon Raye Ryong
Wang Zi Ning Clarice
|CityU Science video – Electromagnetic DC motor
|Bronze Award||Daughters of Mary Help of Christians Siu Ming Catholic Secondary School||Cheung Hiu Yi
Ho Man Ying
Wan Tsz Yan
Wong Sin Ting
Yuen Pui Ching
Tsui Sze Ki Yuki
(also with Special Mention for the 1,919 likes in the public voting)
|German Swiss International School||Yin Adora
|The Blue Field Entoptic Phenomenon
|Bronze Award||SKH Bishop Mok Sau Tseng Secondary School||Cheung Tsz Chun
Lee Hau Lam
Tang Tsz Ching
|The Extraordinary Electrolysis
|Bronze Award||St. Mary's Canossian College||Lai Cheuk Lam
Wong Ting Chi
|YOU 禿 AWAY MY CHILDHOOD
|Most-liked Video Award (1,981 likes in the public voting)||Kiangsu-Chekiang College （Shatin）||Man Hiu Ying
Wu Hei Lam
Yiu Ho Kiu
|Adventure trip with ENO
In recognition of the teams’ effort and the good quality of their videos, our judges agreed that the following videos also deserve special mention:-
|School Name||Student Name||Video Title|
|Special Mention||Ho Fung College (Sponsored by Sik Sik Yuen)||So Cheuk Ying
Chan Sze Wing
Puk Wan Kwan
Tsoi Lok Sze
Yau Sze Ki
Liu Xing Bing
|一生之敵 ―— 青春痘|
|Special Mention||Island School||Wong Fiorelli||CityU Challenge | Epigenetics - Can you Shapeshift in Real Life?|
|Special Mention||Singapore International School (Hong Kong)||Lin Zhongkuan||極光是如何形成的？|
|Special Mention||St. Stephen's Girls' College||Ho Joycelyn
Ko Ching Yan
Leung Cheuk Ning
|Special Mention||TWGHs Li Ka Shing College||Poon Hoi Yiu
Chan Wai Yu
|Science Club (2021-2022) 實驗示範影片|
Congratulations to all the winners! Last but not least, we wish to express our gratitude to all the judges of the competition, and thank all the participants who helped make it a success.
Science is around us. Can you explain a scientific principle or phenomenon in a simple and clear way to people who do not understand science?
The CityU Science Video Competition 2022 is for all full-time secondary school students in Hong Kong. We aim to develop public interest in science and inspire creative thinking about science. Participants will create short (maximum 5 minutes) and innovative videos that explain or demonstrate a scientific principle or phenomenon that would otherwise require many words to communicate. The concept explained in your video can be something that you have learned at school or a phenomenon not taught in the class, but you are excited about. Winning videos are the ones that communicate a complex concept in a scientifically accurate, original, engaging, and imaginative way. Dance! Drama! Props! Animation! All we want is an interesting and creative video about science!
Language: English or Chinese
Format: Maximum 5-minute video. Upload to YouTube as an unlisted video (i.e. can only be seen and shared by anyone with the link). The video must be originally published.
- Secondary school students in Hong Kong
- Individual or a team with a maximum of 8 people
- Each student / team can only submit one entry
- 1 Gold Award: One trophy and book voucher of HKD 1,200
- 4 Silver Awards: One trophy and book voucher of HKD 800
- 4 Bronze Awards: One trophy and book voucher of HKD 600
- 1 “Most-liked Video” Award: One trophy and book voucher of HKD 800
31 May 2022 23:59 (Hong Kong Time) [Registration Closed]
29 July 2022 23:59 (Hong Kong Time) [Submission Closed]
Winning videos will be selected by a panel of judges comprising subject experts. Please refer to the Poster for the list of judges.
Depth of knowledge in science
Resonating ideas in daily life which can arouse public interest
Innovative concepts, unique presentation
Shortlisted videos will be chosen for public vote for the "Most-liked Video" Award.
Enquiry: email@example.com / 3442-7765
Terms and Conditions:
- The entry must be the entrant’s original work and it does not infringe any copyright of any person. In addition, the entry must be the entrant’s first published work which has never been published in any exhibitions/ any related events or submitted in other competitions.
- The entry must not contain obscene, violent, pornographic, defamatory, objectionable, insulting or any of the controversial and inappropriate content.
- The entrant must ensure all provided information to be genuine and correct. The entrant with dishonest or incorrect information, or has been verified as so after report, will be disqualified. The entrant should hold the full responsibility for any loss caused to the College of Science, City University of Hong Kong or any third party.
- After the submission, the entry should not be modified, exchanged or returned.
- If the entry contains authorized material(s) or requests a permission during video recording, the entrant should obtain the authorization(s) from the copyright owner(s) or corresponding venue owner(s). The entrant may be requested to show their approval documents.
- The entrant shall grant the usage rights, including renaming, copying, editing, distributing, broadcasting of parts or/and all footage of the entry, to the College of Science, City University of Hong Kong.
- All decisions made by the judging panel are final.
- The College of Science, City University of Hong Kong has the full authority to make final decisions in all matters related to this competition, including the terms and conditions, prizes and other arrangements without prior notification.
- Entrant is regarded to accept the above terms and conditions upon submitting the entry. Any violation of the terms and conditions may result in disqualification from the competition, subject to the final discretion of the College of Science. There is no appeal mechanism in this competition.