Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering (BEngM.E.) 工學士 (機械工程)
Why Is This Major Needed?
As mechanical engineers are irreplaceably important in our society, Mechanical Engineering represents a fundamental branch of engineering knowledge. To fulfil the rapid demands of expanding markets in the area of automation engineering, dynamical and control analysis, engineering design, and materials/product testing, our Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering programme at the City University of Hong Kong has been established in order to offer a comprehensive and dynamic curriculum which prepares students with analytical and quantitative skills to tackle scientific and engineering problems, independent and critical thinking to develop/enhance engineering products, and integrated creativity and expertise to generate novel product designs to support the sustainable development of the industries.
- Motivated by the fact that the prospects for the development of the Mechanical Engineering industry are greatly expanding, the future manpower demands in the related Mechanical Engineering fields will be greatly increasing.
- Since the establishment of the Closer Economic Partnership Arrangement (CEPA) policy back in 2006, original design manufacturing (ODM) of all the “made-in-HK” consumer products, involves conceptual engineering design and product research and development, has become the key role of Hong Kong companies.
- In the coming years, it is expected that Hong Kong will have stronger needs in the Mechanical Engineering applications such as intelligent consumer products, improved product design and manufacturing, robotics and industrial automation, synthesis and testing of new materials, micro-devices and instrumentation for medical/healthcare purposes.
JUPAS code: JS1207 MNE
Objectives Of The Major
The aim of the major of Mechanical Engineering is to prepare students with a strong foundation of the discipline and knowledge of the latest development in the industries. Our graduates are expected to serve and contribute to a broad range of mechanical engineering industries in their future careers, including chartered engineers, chief administrators/managers of technical teams, and technology consultants. Some of them can even choose to be entrepreneurs for their own start-up companies.
The objectives of the major are:
- To provide a systematic curriculum by combining education, research and development of innovative technology and enable students to tackle engineering problems in mechanical related areas efficiently and independently.
- To equip students with critical thinking, independent research, and qualitative and quantitative analysis capacities. Students can perform high-impact and leading-edge research and development for the continuous advancements of both industrial and academic expertise.
- To prepare students for professional employment in areas such as engineering design of materials, dynamical and control analysis, automation engineering, and micro/nano technologies.
- To nurture students to contribute to the community and professional groups with both academic achievements and knowledge transferable products.
Our Bachelor's degree programme in Mechanical Engineering was launched in view of the great need in the industries. Long-term careers of our graduates in the industries include qualified mechanical engineers, consumer product designers, automotive system designers, “heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC)” engineers, system automation engineers, chief administrators/managers of technical teams, and technology consultants. Graduates can also choose to further study in graduate schools for inventing state-of-the-art technologies. Some of them can even choose to be entrepreneurs for their own start-up companies.
Entrance Requirements and Admission Arrangements
To be eligible for admission, you must satisfy the University’s General Entrance Requirements, with at least one elective subject in Physics, Combined Science, M1/M2, Design and Applied Technology or Chemistry for HKDSE students.
JUPAS HKDSE students will apply for admission to the Department of Mechanical Engineering (JS1207). They will enter a major after the first year of study. During their first year, students will study a broad range of Gateway Education (GE), College of Engineering and Home Department specified courses. The top 40% of students [based on (i) cumulative grade point average (CGPA) at the end of Semester B; (ii) no failed grades in any courses in Semesters A and B; (iii) completion of at least 30 credit units in Semesters A and B, including the required courses specified by the College of Engineering & Home Department; and (iv) no academic dishonesty record for the year] will have free choice of the majors offered by the Department. The other 60% of students will be allocated a major of their choice, subject to the availability of places and the CGPA.
Please refer to the Admissions Office’s website for the calculation of the admission score at http://www.admo.cityu.edu.hk/jupas_hkdse/assessment/bd/
Direct/non-JUPAS applications are expected to have, or going to have the qualifications of, Associate Degrees or Higher Diplomas with high grades or credit awards in engineering-related disciplines.
While maintaining the major aspects of mechanical engineering knowledge (e.g. engineering mechanics, materials engineering, mechanical product design, mechatronics, dynamics and controls, and thermal fluids), this programme will focus on the following areas for the future needs of the society:
- Product design with comprehensive considerations in high levels of functionality (e.g. smart home and appliances) and the environment-friendly product design and manufacturing.
- Automation (with control algorithms, sensors and actuators) and system integration of machines ranging from consumer products, and building facilities to transportation vehicles.
- Solid background in both conventional and emerging mechanical engineering techniques, as integrated knowledge so that graduates can generate new products, and at the same time can serve as the next generation to handle and inherit obligations of the existing occupations.
The choice of electives will provide students with the opportunities to enhance their interests in applying what they have learnt. Appropriate quality assurance processes and guidelines will be adopted to ensure that the new programme will be managed and delivered as all other well-recognized international undergraduate programmes.
This major requires a total of 120 credit units. Applicants with Associate Degree, Higher Diploma or equivalent qualifications may be admitted with Advanced Standing I or II(admission with Advanced Standing II will be considered from 2018-19 onwards).
This major has been granted full accreditation by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE), a signatory member of the Washington Accord, under which all members agree to recognize each other's accredited engineering degree programmes.
Government Funded Programmes
Latest information on tuition fees is available at the website of the Academic Regulations and Records Office.
Inquiry: 3442-8419 (Ms. May Kan)
Major Structure/Major Requirement (Links to University Undergraduate Catalogue)
Normative 4-year Degree
Advanced Standing I
SUGGESTED STUDY PATH (PDF)
BENGEGU4 M.E. 2021/22 Cohort
BENGEGU3 M.E. 2022/23 Cohort(ASI)
BENGEGU2 M.E. 2022/23 Cohort(ASII)
BENGEGU4 M.E. 2020/21 Cohort
BENGEGU3 M.E. 2021/22 Cohort(ASI)
BENGEGU2 M.E. 2021/22 Cohort(ASII)
BENGEGU4 M.E. 2019/20 Cohort
BENGEGU3 M.E. 2020/21 Cohort(ASI)
BENGEGU2 M.E. 2020/21 Cohort(ASII)
BENGEGU4 M.E. 2018/19 Cohort
BENGEGU3 M.E. 2019/20 Cohort (ASI)
BENGEGU2 M.E. 2019/20 Cohort (ASII)
BENGEGU4 M.E. 2017/18 Cohort
BENGEGU3 M.E. 2018/19 Cohort (ASI)
BENGEGU2 M.E. 2018/19 Cohort (ASII)