Student Exchange (Inbound)


Global Engagement Office (GEO) provides a range of services and information to exchange students. Please follow the link to obtain admissions information and download forms.

Our department is within the College of Engineering (CENG). Additional information for exchange students can be found in their Student Life.

If you are an applicant from a partner institute with an exchange agreement with our department, please send your application form to:

Student Exchange
Department of Mechanical Engineering
City University of Hong Kong
83 Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon Tong
Hong Kong
Fax: (852) 3442-0235

Application Deadline

May for Semester A enrolment (September Entry)
October for Semester B enrolment (January Entry)


(Please refer to the Undergraduate Catalogue for the course syllabuses.)

Inbound Exchange Student

Course Code # Course Title Credit Offer in Semester
MNE2029 Electrical and Electronic Principles I 3 B
MNE2036 Engineering Computing 3 B
MNE2110 Engineering Materials 3 B
MNE2112 Thermodynamics 3 A
MNE3010 Mechanical Design 3 B
MNE3046 Automation Technology 3 A
MNE3049 Control Principles 3 B
MNE3058 Embedded Control Systems 3 B
MNE3107 Principles of Nuclear Engineering 3 A
MNE3111 Introduction to Nuclear Power Plant 3 A
MNE3115 Microelectromechanical Systems 3 A
MNE3118 Mechanics of Materials 3 A
MNE3119 Manufacturing Technology 3 B
MNE3120 Measurement and Instrumentation 3 A
MNE3121 Heat Transfer 3 B
MNE3122 Fluid Mechanics 3 B
MNE4032 Robotics and Machine Vision 3 B
MNE4105 Nuclear Reactor Safety 3 B
MNE4112 Nuclear Materials 3 B

List of undergraduate courses for exchange students offered by the university:

There are also language courses available to exchange students.

Course Code Course Title Credit Offer in Semester
LC2956 Mandarin for Non-Chinese Speakers I 3 A & B

Points to note:

  • Course offering information is subject to change.
  • Course registration is subject to the approval of the course offering department.
  • Registration for physical education courses offered by the Student Development Services must be done by the student and is done after the student has been granted online access to the course registration system.

Notes to applicants

(I) Course Selection

  • Each course has been assigned a "level" to indicate the degree of academic difficulty associated with the course. Levels B2, B3 and B4 are undergraduate courses while P5 and P6 are postgraduate courses. Requests for registration of postgraduate courses will be scrutinized case by case. Normally, exchange students with less than 3 years of university education are not encouraged to select P5 and P6 courses.
  • Exchange students hosted by the MNE department are required to select at least half of their courses offered by the respective department.
  • At CityU, an exchange student must be a full-time student. The minimum and maximum study loads for a full-time student are respectively 12 and 18 credits in a semester.

(II) Assessment

  • Exchange students should observe important dates published on the University's academic calendar during their study period. Requests for special assessment arrangement/schedule are normally not considered. Please refer to the University's Academic Regulations for Undergraduate Degrees for more information.
  • The examination period is in the last two weeks. Examinations must be attended and cannot be re-scheduled for personal reasons. If you need to plan ahead for the return flight to your hometown, you are strongly advised to schedule your departure at least one day after the last examination to avoid any possible time clash.

(III) ON-line Application for Student Residence (Exchange students - undergraduates)

  • Applications for the Student Residence for new students should be made to the Student Residence Office before the application deadlines.
  • Late applications will NOT be considered unless a vacancy is available.
  • Due to limited capacity, there is no guarantee that accommodation in the Student Residence can be provided to all applicants.
  • Online application
  • Enquiry: (Email)

(IV) Off-campus Accommodation

  • Students who are not offered a place of on-campus student residence or prefer living away from campus, are strongly advised to arrive in Hong Kong at least two or three weeks before the semester begins in order to seek off-campus accommodation.
  • Details about off-campus accommodation are available on the SRO website.
  • Enquiry: (Email)


Student Exchange Coordinator

Dr. LIU, Jun

Last modified on 06 July, 2022