Safety Tips on using WLAN
Following safety tips may help you to protect your notebook and safeguard your information while using WLAN:
- Disable resource sharing such as "file-sharing" to avoid any leakage from your computer.
- Disable "Ad-Hoc" mode networking to prevent attackers from easily gaining access to information and resources on your notebook.
- Install and activate personal firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware program. Apply latest patches and fixes frequently for the OS and programs installed.
- Always use secured connection such as WPA in the WLAN.
- Never leave your notebook unattended, disable wireless connection when it is not in use.
- Avoid perform any sensitive operation such as doing e-banking, e-shopping, etc. over public WLAN to prevent leakage of your personal information such as bank account number or credit card number.
- If your notebook can make WLAN connection automatically with your stored credentials, then never borrow it to others without clearing the credentials.
- Never connect to unknown wireless networks. Attackers could set up fake captive portals to harvest personal information.