Dr He received his Bachelor of Science degree from Sichuan University (Biochemistry). After graduation in 1988, he worked as an engineer in a pharmaceutical factory in Chongqin. He obtained his PhD degree from Shanghai Institute of Biochemistry (and Cell Biology) in 1995. He obtained his postdoctoral training in Roswell Park Cancer Institute at Buffalo (1995–1997) and Washington University School of Medicine at St. Louis in USA (1997–2000). He joined The University of Hong Kong (Institute of Molecular Biology) as Research Assistant Professor in 2000. After SARS outbreak in Hong Kong in 2003, He was appointed as Associate Professor (2005–2011) and Research Associate Professor (2011–2015, Policy Change) at Stanley Ho Center for Emerging Infectious Disease, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong. He joined Department of Biomedical Sciences at City University of Hong Kong in February 2015.
- Peking University (School of Basic Medical Sciences)
- Sichuan University (West China College of Preclinical Medicine and Forensic Medicine)
- Xuzhou Medical University
Editorial Board Member
- Scientific Reports, UK (Nature Publishing Group) IF=4.269
- American Journal of Cancer Research, USA IF=3.264
Organizing International Conference
Virology Congress 2017: World Congress on Virology & Infectious Diseases | Virology
Key word: anticancer, antiviral, signaling transduction, endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress, innate immune response
National Basic Science Development Program of China (973), National Science Foundation of China (NSFC), General Research Fund (GRF) of HKSAR, Innovative Technology Fund of HKSAR, Research Fund for Infectious Diseases (RFCID) of HKSAR, AIDS Trust Fund (HKSAR), Fund of The Science Technology and Innovation Committee of Shenzhen Municipality.
Postgraduate Students are welcome to join our research team. Scholarships are available, including Hong Kong PhD Fellowship, University Scholarship, and Interdisciplinary PhD Programme in Veterinary Medicine. Interested candidates please send your CV and a summary of past research experience to Dr He (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Cancer Biology: Mechanisms of carcinogenesis (hepatocellular carcinoma, gastric cancer, nasopharyngeal carcinoma, colon cancer)
- Virology: Mechanisms of human diseases caused by virus infection (Hepatitis B virus, enterovirus 71, Zika virus)
- Drug development: target-based or common antiviral/anticancer drugs
Common diseases such as cancers and infectious diseases are major challenges for public health and great economic burden of societies. There are approximately 15 million new cancer cases and 8 million cancer-related deaths annually with constant increasing numbers in the last decade. Every individual is affected by some pathogens from time to time in his/her life; and infectious Diseases caused by pathogen invasion kill at least 5 million people worldwide every year (http://www.who.int/mediacentre). Accompanied with economic globalization, infectious diseases spread rapidly from one place to other countries that may cause pandemic infections and high mortalities. Virus (such as hepatitis virus, Ebola virus, human immunodeficient virus, influenza virus, enterovirus) infections cause a variety of human infectious diseases and cancers. However, there is no common drug against these viruses. Research on cancer and virus would facilitate us to discover new biomarkers for early and accurate diagnosis, to identify new targets for drug development and to develop new prevention strategies.
Endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress is one of the major and fast responses of living cells to exogenous and endogenous insults. Recent studies have highlighted ER stress response because the unfolded protein response (UPR) by expanding its protein-folding capacity adapts to minimize the harmful effects of accumulated misfolded proteins under both physiological and pathological conditions, and therefore eliciting protective processes such as autophagy, antioxidant responses, innate immune response and inflammatory response. They are key processes not only for limiting and eradicating pathogen invasions, but for inducing cancers and other diseases as well. Severe ER stress elicits cell death to protect unreversed damage of organs in the body, while low levels of ER stress is beneficial to cells by stimulating UPR for cells adapt to subsequent lethal insults. Up to now, our knowledge on these complicated stress response networks remains very limited. We are trying to figure out how virus stimulates and regulates these stress response, to identify new diagnostic markers and drug targets. In addition, we are also interested in developing new drugs against viral infections and human cancers.
- Inhibition of Hepatitis B virus (HBV) replication by RNA interference (US patent No. 7,067,249)
- Gene Therapy of HBV Infection Via Adeno-Associated Viral Vector Mediated Long Term Expression of Small Hairpin RNA (shRNA).(U.S. patent No. 20070027099 A1).
- Inhibition of SARS-associated coronavirus infection and replication by RNA interference (US patent No.7,129,223)
- Synthetic peptide targeting critical sites on the SARS-associated coronavirus spike protein responsible for viral infection and method of use there of (US Patent 7,491,489)
- 抗腫瘤的核酸與多肽及其應用 (中國專利號: 201010110980.2)
|Principle Investigator (PI):
||Dr HE Mingliang
||Dr. DONG Liang
Dr. LV Xiaoming
||CHEN Ying Joy
||SONG Dan (CityU-Cornell University Joint Program)
WAN Qianyan (CityU-Cornell University Joint Program)
LI Huang Can
FALETI Oluwasijibomi Damola
Prof. LI Zhi (postdoctoral fellow, now Shann Xi Normal University)
Dr JIANG Bingfu (postdoctoral fellow)
Ms DONG Qi (Senior Research Assistant)
Ms ZHENG Ying (Visitor)
Ms ZHAO Tingting (Visitor)
Prof. ZHAO Jin (Shenzhen CDC)
Prof. LU Jing (Guangdong CDC)
Prof. LIU Zheng (Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Tianjing Union Medical College)
Dr. DONG Qingmin (University of Tennessee)
Dr. MEN Ruotin (Faculty member in Sichuan University)
Dr. YI Lina (Guangdong CDC)
Selected Publications (out of 120, * corresponding author, # co-first author)
- Dong Q, Men R, Dan X, Chen Y, Li H, Chen G, Zee B, Wong MHT, He ML*. Hsc70 regulates the IRES activity and serves as an antiviral target of enterovirus A71 infection. Antiviral Res. 2017 Nov 24. pii: S0166-3542(17)30617-4.
- Li C, Ip KW, Man WL, Song D, He ML, Yiu SM, Lau TC, Zhu G. Cytotoxic (salen)ruthenium(iii) anticancer complexes exhibit different modes of cell death directed by axial ligands. Chem Sci. 2017 Oct 1;8(10):6865-6870. doi: 10.1039/c7sc02205k.
- Liu P, Zhang H, He W, Li H, Jiang J, Liu M, Sun H, He ML, Cui J, Jiang L, Yao X*. Development of "Liquid-like" Copolymer Nanocoatings for Reactive Oil-Repellent Surface. ACS Nano. 2017 Feb 28;11(2):2248-2256. DOI: 10.1021/acsnano.7b00046
- Xie N, Yuan K, Zhou L, Wang K, Chen HN, Lei Y, Lan J, Pu Q, Gao W, Zhang L, Shen G, Li Q, Xiao H, Tang H, Xiang R, He ML, Feng P, Nice EC, Wei Y, Zhang H, Yang J, Huang C* PRKAA/AMPK restricts HBV replication through promotion of autophagic degradation. Autophagy. 2016 2016 Sep;12(9):1507-20.
- Zhao T, Xu Z, Gu D, Wu P, Huo X, Wei X, Tang Y, Gong W, He ML*, Chen J*. The effects of genomic polymorphisms in one-carbon metabolism pathways on survival of gastric cancer patients received fluorouracil-based adjuvant therapy. Sci. Rep. 2016 Jul 6:28019; doi:10.1038/srep28019.
- He Y, Zou L, Chong MKC, Men R, Xu W, Yang H, Yao X, Chen L, Xian H, Zhang H, Luo M, Cheng J, Ma H, Feng Q, Huang Y, Wang Y, Yeoh EK, Zee BC, Zhou Y, He ML*, Wang MH.* Genetic evolution of Human Enterovirus A71 subgenotype C4 in Shenzhen, China, 1998-2013.J. Infection. 2016 Jun;72(6):731-737.
- Hu JJ, Song W, Zhang SD, Shen XH, Qiu XM, Wu HZ, Gong PH, Lu S, Zhao ZJ, He ML*, Fan H*. HBx-upregulated lncRNA UCA1 promotes cell growth and tumorigenesis by recruiting EZH2 and repressing p27Kip1/CDK2 signaling. Sci Rep. 2016 Mar 24;6:23521. doi: 10.1038/srep23521.
- Wang M, Dong Q, Wang H, He Y, Chen Y, Zhang H, Wu R, Chen X, Zhou B, He J, Kung HF, Huang C, Wei Y, Huang JD, Xu H*, He ML* Oblongifolin M, an active compound isolated from a Chinese medical herb Garcinia oblongifolia, potently inhibits enterovirus 71 reproduction through downregulation of ERp57. Oncotarget. 2016 Feb 23;7(8):8797-808. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.7122
- Wu C, Wang MH, Lu X, Chong KC, He J, Yau CY, Hui M, Cheng X, Yang L, Zee BC, Zhang R, He ML* Concurrent epidemics of influenza A/H3N2 and A/H1N1pdm in Southern China: A serial cross-sectional study. J Infect. 2016 Mar;72(3):369-76. doi: 10.1016/j.jinf.2015.12.013.
- Zhao T, Gu D, Xu Z, Huo X, Shen L, Wang C, Tang Y, Wu P, He J, Gong W, He ML, Chen J. Polymorphism in one-carbon metabolism pathway affects survival of gastric cancer patients: Large and comprehensive study. Oncotarget. 2015 Apr 20;6(11):9564-76.
- Lu J, Yi L, Ke C, Zhang Y, Liu R, Chen JF, Kung HF, He ML* The Interaction between Human Enteroviruses and Type I IFN Signaling Pathway. Crit Rev Microbiol. 2015 Jun; 41(2): 201-7.
- Ye CG, Liu L, Chen GG, Tang XL, He Z, He ML, Lai PB ZBP-89 reduces histone deacetylase 3 by degrading IkappaB in the presence of Pin1. J Transl Med. 2015 Jan 27;13:23. doi: 10.1186/s12967-015-0382-7.
- Lu J, Zhao FP, Peng Z, Zhang MW, Lin SX, Liang BJ, Zhang B, Liu X, Wang L, Li G, Tian WD, Peng Y, He ML, Li XP EZH2 promotes angiogenesis through inhibition of miR-1/Endothelin-1 axis in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Oncotarget. 2014 Nov 30;5(22):11319-32.
- Lu J, Yi L, Zhao J, Yu J, Chen Y, Lin MC, Kung HF, He ML*. Enterovirus 71 disrupts interferon signaling by reducing the level of interferon receptor 1. J Virol. 2012 Apr;86(7):3767-76. doi: 10.1128/JVI.06687-11.
- He ML*, Luo MX, Lin MC, Kung HF. MicroRNAs: potential diagnostic markers and therapeutic targets for EBV-associated nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012 Jan;1825(1):1-10.
- Zhang JF, He ML, Fu WM, Wang H, Chen LZ, Zhu X, Chen Y, Xie D, Lai P, Chen G, Lu G, Lin MC, Kung HF.Primate-specific microRNA-637 inhibits tumorigenesis in hepatocellular carcinoma by disrupting signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 signaling. Hepatology. 2011 Dec;54(6):2137-48. doi: 10.1002/hep.24595.
- Yi L, Lu J, Kung HF, He ML*. The virology and developments toward control of human enterovirus 71. Crit Rev Microbiol. 2011 Nov;37(4):313-27.
- Lu J, He ML, Wang L, Chen Y, Liu X, Dong Q, Chen YC, Peng Y, Yao KT, Kung HF, Li XP MiR-26a inhibits cell growth and tumorigenesis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma through repression of EZH2. Cancer Res. 2011 Jan 1;71(1):225-33.
- Yi L, He Y, Chen Y, Kung HF, He ML* Potent inhibition of human enterovirus 71 replication by type I interferon subtypes. Antivir Ther. 2011;16(1):51-8. doi: 10.3851/IMP1720.
- Lu J, Li XP, Dong Q, Kung HF, He ML*. TBX2 and TBX3: the special value for anticancer drug targets. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010 Dec;1806(2):268-74.
- Ma Y, Yu J, Chan HL, Chen YC, Wang H, Chen Y, Chan CY, Go MY, Tsai SN, Ngai SM, To KF, Tong JH, He QY, Sung JJ, Kung HF, Cheng CH, He ML*. Glucose-regulated protein 78 is an intracellular antiviral factor against hepatitis B virus. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2009 Nov;8(11):2582-94.
- Shen Z, Yang ZF, Gao Y, Li JC, Chen HX, Liu CC, Poon RT, Fan ST, Luk JM, Sze KH, Li TP, Gan RB, He ML, Kung HF, Lin MC. The kringle 1 domain of hepatocyte growth factor has antiangiogenic and antitumor cell effects on hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Res. 2008 Jan 15;68(2):404-14.
- Liang B#, He ML#, Chan CY, et al. The Use of Folate-PEG-grafted-hybranched-PEI Nonviral Vector for the Inhibition of Glioma Growth In The Rat. Biomaterials 2009 30(23-24):4014-20.
- Yang N, Tanner JA, Zheng BJ, Watt RM, He ML, Lu LY, Jiang JQ, Shum KT, Lin YP, Wong KL, Lin MC, Kung HF, Sun H, Huang JD. Bismuth complexes inhibit the SARS coronavirus. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2007;46(34):6464-8.
- Ng SS, Cheung YT, An XM, Chen YC, Li M, Li GH, Cheung W, Sze J, Lai L, Peng Y, Xia HH, Wong BC, Leung SY, Xie D, He ML, Kung HF, Lin MC. Cell cycle-related kinase: a novel candidate oncogene in human glioblastoma. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2007 Jun 20;99(12):936-48.
- Li M, Ng SS, Wang J, Lai L, Leung SY, Franco M, Peng Y, He ML, Kung HF, Lin MC. EFA6A enhances glioma cell invasion through ADP ribosylation factor 6/extracellular signal-regulated kinase signaling. Cancer Res. 2006 Feb 1;66(3):1583-90.
- Lau GK, He ML, Fong DY, Bartholomeusz A, Au WY, Lie AK, Locarnini S, Liang R. Preemptive use of lamivudine reduces hepatitis B exacerbation after allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation. Hepatology. 2002 Sep;36(3):702-9.
- Chen Y, Du D, Wu J, Chan CP, Tan Y, Kung HF, He ML. Inhibition of hepatitis B virus replication by stably expressed shRNA. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003 Nov 14;311(2):398-404.
- He ML, Zheng B, Peng Y, Peiris JS, Poon LL, Yuen KY, Lin MC, Kung HF, Guan Y. Inhibition of SARS-associated coronavirus infection and replication by RNA interference. JAMA. 2003 Nov 26;290(20):2665-6.
- He ML*, Wu J, Chen Y, Lin MC, Lau GK, Kung HF. A new and sensitive method for the quantification of HBV cccDNA by real-time PCR. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002 Aug 2;295(5):1102-7.
- He ML, Wen L, Campbell CE, Wu JY, Rao Y Transcription repression by Xenopus ET and its human ortholog TBX3, a gene involved in ulnar-mammary syndrome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999 Aug 31;96(18):10212-7.