The programme provides a rigorous training in economic analysis and empirical methods for those who plan to pursue a career as economic analysts, policy researchers and investment strategists in multinational corporations, investment or commercial banks, trade associations, government bodies and policy research institutes. The programme can also serve as a foundation for further academic work at the graduate level.
Year of Entry2021
Application DeadlineLocal & Non-local : 31 Mar 2021
Mode of StudyFull-time
Mode of FundingNon-government-funded
Indicative Intake Target75
Minimum No. of Credits Required30
Class ScheduleWeekday daytime and evenings; and Saturdays
Normal Study Period1 year (expected to graduate within one year)
Maximum Study Period2.5 years
Mode of ProcessingApplications are processed on a rolling basis. Review of applications will start before the deadline and continue until all places are filled. Early applications are therefore strongly encouraged.
Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university. An undergraduate degree in economics or related areas is not a pre-requisite. Students with a solid quantitative background and commitment to academic study are encouraged to apply.
Applicants whose entrance qualification is obtained from an institution where the medium of instruction is NOT English should also fulfill the following minimum English proficiency requirement:
- a score of 59 (revised paper-delivered test) or 79 (Internet-based test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)@#; or
- an overall band score of 6.5 in International English Language Testing System (IELTS)@; or
- a score 490 in the new College English Test (CET-6) of Chinese mainland; or
- other equivalent qualifications.
@TOEFL and IELTS scores are considered valid for two years. Applicants are required to provide their English test results obtained within the two years preceding the commencement of the University's application period.
# Applicants are required to arrange for the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to send their TOEFL results directly to the University. The TOEFL institution code for CityU is 3401.
Please refer to the updated admissions website for information.
Students have to take the following 7 core courses (total 21 credit units):
- Advanced International Trade
- Advanced Macroeconomics
- Advanced Microeconomics
- Advanced Econometrics
- Economic Growth and Development
- International Finance
- Professional Seminars in Applied Economics
Students have to choose 3 electives (total 9 credit units) from the below list:
- Topics in Econometrics
- Topics in Microeconomics
- Up to two 3-credit-unit free electives (any courses subject to the approval from programme leader and course offering department)