HK Tech 300 is a large-scale flagship innovation and entrepreneurship programme organised by City University of Hong Kong (CityU). Under the theme “Venture Beyond Boundaries”, the programme aims to provide educational and growth opportunities for young people and translate CityU research achievements and intellectual property (IP) into practical applications. With a total allocation of HK$600 million, the programme aims to create 300 start-ups in three years.
To further foster innovation and technology development in Hong Kong and the Mainland, in June 2022, CityU launched the 1st HK Tech 300 National Start-up Competition in the Mainland to provide support for cross-border incubation, knowledge transfer and investment opportunities for start-ups. The aim of the competition is to synergise the strengths and resources of Hong Kong and the Mainland, encourage exchange and collaboration in innovation, promote the application of CityU research achievements in the Mainland, and build a more robust start-up environment in both Hong Kong and the Mainland.
The 1st competition received applications from nearly 300 start-ups in Hong Kong and seven clusters in the Mainland: Beijing, Chengdu, Changsha, Qingdao, Shanghai, Suzhou and Shenzhen. Fourteen start-ups were selected as winners (see here for details).
The 2nd competition, launched in mid-July 2023, was expanded to nine cities in the Mainland, including Chongqing and Wuxi. The winning start-ups will each be awarded HK$1 million in angel fund investment, plus comprehensive incubation and entrepreneurial start-up support.
Support from HK Tech 300
- Incubation: Incubation through HK Tech 300 and its supporting organisations
- Coaching: Mentors include seasoned industrialists, entrepreneurs and outstanding alumni
- Professional Support: Advice on industry, taxation, banking and legal affairs on both sides
- R&D Support: CityU support in research resources, facilities and talent
- Intellectual Property: The use of research resources and IP from CityU (over 1,500 IP resources), the CityU Shenzhen Research Institute and HK Tech 300 supporting organisations
- Facilities: Co-working space in CityU, the CityU Shenzhen Research Institute and the CityU Chengdu Research Institute
- Business Matching: Connections with co-investors, leading companies and organisations in both the Mainland and Hong Kong to provide market information and application scenarios
- Promotion: Media exposure and exhibition opportunities
- City University of Hong Kong
- CityU Shenzhen Research Institute, Chengdu Research Institute, Shenzhen Futian Research Institute
- CityU Beijing Liaison Office, Shanghai Liaison Office
- CityU Changsha InnoTech Centre, Qingdao InnoTech Centre
- University of Science and Technology, China (USTC)-City University of Hong Kong (CityU) Joint Advanced Research Centre (Suzhou)
- Selection/nomination by the Partners
- Tech ventures registered for less than five years in the following categories that are not in the list of abnormal scientific research integrity: Biotech, Deep Tech, Fintech, ICT & AI, Energy and EnviroTech
- The person(s) in charge of the tech venture must be a CityU student(s), former student(s), research staff, or member of the general public utilising CityU patented technology to develop their tech products or services
- Multiple evaluation dimensions: innovation, uniqueness, market potential, social impact, economic benefits, commercial viability, development, team background, etc.
Q2 / Q3 of 2024