Borrowing of Library Materials
Loan Quota and Period
Loan quota and loan period for books and media resources borrowed by different categories of users are stated in the Library Regulations. Serials and reference materials at the Run Run Shaw Library are not for loan. There is a limit on the number of items that can be placed (Book Request Quota) at any one time.
All materials must be properly checked out at the Circulation Counter or with the Library's different EasyService (self-service) applications at different locations. EasyService stations are available at the Circulation Counter, inside the Semi-closed Collection Room and at the Law Collection area. For borrowing purposes, users must present their own CityU ID cards or CityU Library tickets as appropriate.
Items of circulation nature, including books borrowed via HKALL but excluding short loan and media resources, may be renewed any number of times up to the maximum renewal period as stated below via CityU LibraryFind, provided that these items are not requested by other users. Items must be returned to the library when the renewal period expires.
||Maximum Renewal Period
||5 hours, 1 or 3 days
||5 hours, same day, 3 or 7 days
Renewal will NOT be accepted if:
- An item is requested by another user.
- The renewed date has exceeded the specified maximum renewal period from the date of the initial check-out.
- The loan rule specifies that an item (e.g. a media resource or a short loan item) cannot be renewed at all.
- A borrower has long overdue books or over $30 unpaid library fines.
- A borrower whose borrowing privilege has been suspended or terminated.
To renew Library materials:
- Access CityU LibraryFind -> click on SIGN IN at the top right corner -> click on MY LIBRARY ACCOUNT -> login with your EID and password -> select Loans -> then renew the desired items.
- Note the new due date(s) and any accrued overdue fines for the renewed item(s).
- If you do not know your EID, please contact the Circulation Counter in person for help.
Please note the following:
- The new due dates are calculated from the date you renew the items.
- Items may not be renewed successfully.
- Overdue fine still applies to an item renewed after the 3-day grace period.
- Accrued overdue fines, which will be calculated from the due date if items are
renewed after the 3-day grace period, can be settled when you visit the Library
- Renewal is treated as a continuation of loan and thus will be subject to recall at any time.
Requesting Checked-out Items (Recall)
- Users with borrowing privileges may recall on loan circulation books, excluding short loan items, via CityU LibraryFind by clicking the "Request" button after signing in with your EID and password.
- Users will be notified by email when the requested item is available for pickup.
Please note the following:
- The original loan period for the requested item may be shortened.
- You CANNOT request an item that is currently borrowed by you.
- If you no longer need an item, please go to MY LIBRARY ACCOUNT -> Requests and click "CANCEL" next to the item that you no longer need.
How many items, including materials in CityU Main Library & Shatin Storage & HKALL books, can a user request?
- CityU student & staff: 8 items
(except Elder Academy students / SCOPE staff and students)
- Others: 2 items
Requesting Materials from Shatin Storage
Users with borrowing privileges can submit online requests for monographs, media resources and journals (articles or bound volumes) that are housed at the Shatin Storage via CityU LibraryFind by clicking the "Request" or "Request a specific article/volume" (for articles, bound volumes and multi-volume sets) button after signing in with your EID and password.
- For bound volume / serials request, please fill in Volume, Issue and Year. The requested items will be delivered to the Library for you to pick up.
- For article request, please fill in Article Author, Article Title, Date, Volume, Issue, Year and Page No. of the article and accept the Copyright Declaration stipulated on the form. The Library will charge you at HK$0.3 per page. Payment should be settled upon receipt of the article at the Library.
- Requests received at or before 12 noon on a working day will usually be fulfilled on the same day and requests made after 12 noon will be fulfilled on the next working day (Mondays to Fridays, excluding public holidays).
- Users will be notified via email when the requested materials are ready for pick up at the Circulation Counter.
Requesting Materials from UGC-funded Libraries and Other Libraries
HKALL Borrowng Services
- Eligible users of HKALL service, including CityU staff and also students enrolled on courses leading to CityU awarded degrees, may borrow books that are NOT available at CityU Library (either because CityU Library does not hold the items or the items have been checked out) but with the status "Available" at the UGC-funded libraries via CityU LibraryFind by clicking the "HKALL Request" button after signing in with your EID and password.
Interlibrary Loan Services
- Eligible users of Interlibrary Loan Services may borrow books and get photocopies of articles from other libraries via CityU LibraryFind by clicking the "ILLiad" button after signing in with your EID and password.
JULAC Library Cards
- Eligible users can apply for the Joint University Librarians Advisory Committee (JULAC) Library Cards to access the libraries of the other participating UGC institutions.
Except for those books that have been checked out from the Semi-closed Collection Room, all other circulating books and media resource items should be returned on or before the due date to the Circulation Counter. Book drops are located near the Circulation Counter, the Library exit and at the Student Residence (outside Sir Gordon and Lady Ivy Wu Hall) for users to return circulation books and media resource items. For materials inside the Semi-closed Collection, users should return them via the automatic return units in the Collection Room.
Fines and Charges
Late return of books is liable to a fine as stipulated in the Library Regulations. Consult the Library Regulations for more information on library fines, charges, overdues, lost and damaged materials, billing, and blocks.
In line with the University's emphasis on and practice of electronic communication, all check-out and check-in receipts, as well as all pre-overdue, overdue, renewal, recall and reservation notices from the Library are sent to CityU members' registered email addresses in the University's central database. Under normal circumstances, the email accounts should be in one of the following formats:
For students, your CityU email account is in this format:
e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org (if your electronic id is tmchan8)
For staff members, your CityU email account is in this format:
e.g. email@example.com (if your electronic id is lbpeter)
For alumni, if you have not provided your personal email address in AIMS,
your default CityU alumni free email account is in this format:
e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org (if
your electronic id is tmchan8) or
e.g. email@example.com (if
your electronic id is 50987654)
e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org (if
your electronic id is laiyuchan)
For users who still prefer using non-CityU email accounts to receive library
notices, please use the Set up Email Forwarding function in the CityU
email account to re-direct messages from the Library to the preferred
email account. For details, please go to the University's web page on email services at http://email.cityu.edu.hk/home/ and click on "Account Management".