Master of Science in Intelligent Semiconductor Manufacturing *
Remark: * Programme information is subject to approval by the University.
Programme code: P86
Semiconductors are everywhere – from the processor and AI chips in our smartphones to electronic devices for electric and autonomous vehicles, to new sensors for healthcare. Training required for manufacturing and semiconductor technology is developing rapidly in a wide range of fields. Besides the semiconductor manufacturing process, the semiconductor industry is capital-intensive and must focus on realistic needs for manufacturing intelligence, including new fab construction, technology migration, capacity transformation and expansion, tool procurement, and outsourcing. Recently, semiconductor manufacturing has also become a global geopolitical battleground. Thus, there is a need for professional education to train engineers in Hong Kong and mainland China to acquire the capabilities of intelligent and semiconductor manufacturing.
The programme is designed to provide students with knowledge/skills in process control/operations, electronic and advanced packaging technologies, and materials in intelligent and semiconductor manufacturing and its related reliability science and quality engineering. Ability to solve problems and develop new processes or equipment. Students are encouraged to participate the projects with the companies. The objective of this programme is to prepare students who wish to pursue graduate degrees or enter the workforce in the field of semiconductor and electronics industry.
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes (PILOs):
Upon successful completion of this Programme, students are expected to:
- reflect on extensive knowledge in intelligent and semiconductor manufacturing in supporting problem solving, decision making and undertaking projects of discovery and innovation;
- apply knowledge/skills in semiconductor process control/operations, electronic and advanced packaging technologies, and materials; integrate and apply engineering and knowledge in intelligent and semiconductor manufacturing and its related reliability science and quality engineering;
- be able to generate innovative ideas, to undertake projects/research and turn the discovery & innovative ideas into practical implementation;
- reflect on responsibility and sensitivity for environmental and societal concerns, inter-cultural issues and global development.
Programme Structure and Contents
Path of study: You may obtain the MSc degree by either
- completing taught courses only, or
- taught courses plus the dissertation project.
Required Core Courses (12 credit units)
|Course Code||Course Title||Credit Units|
|ADSE6043||Quality and Reliability Engineering||3|
|ADSE6109||Semiconductor Manufacturing and Management||3|
|ADSE6201||3D IC Stacking and Advanced Packaging||3|
|ADSE6202||Semiconductor Process Equipment and Materials||3|
Programme Electives (18 credit units)
Electives (Select any six 3-CU courses OR three 3-CU courses and a 9-CU dissertation)
|Course Code||Course Title||Credit Units|
|ADSE6012||Technological Innovation and Entrepreneurship||3|
|ADSE6045||Industrial Case Study||3|
|ADSE6047||Quality Improvement: Systems and Methodologies||3|
|ADSE6106||Intelligent Manufacturing for Engineering Managers||3|
|ADSE6203||Internship Scheme in Semiconductor Industry||3|
|ADSE6204||VLSI/ULSI Process Integration||3|
|ADSE8204||Process Modelling and Control||3|
|EE6615||Nanotechnology for Devices and Microsystems||3|
|MNE6005||Micro Systems Technology||3|
|MNE6051||Sustainable Green Manufacturing||3|
|MSE6121||Thin Film Technology and Nanocrystalline Coatings||3|
|MSE6171||Electronic Packaging and Materials||3|
Remark: These elective courses will be offered subject to the availability of resources.
Applicants must satisfy the University's General Entrance Requirements and the following programme entrance requirements:
- a bachelor’s degree holder in engineering, science or other relevant disciplines, or its equivalent.
Non-local candidates from an institution where the medium of instruction is not English should fulfil one of the following English proficiency requirements:
- a score of 59 (revised paper-delivered test) or 79 (Internet-based test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); or
- an overall band score of 6.5 in International English Language Testing System (IELTS); or
- a score of 450 in the new College English Test (CET6) of China mainland; or
- other equivalent qualifications.
TOEFL and IELTS scores are considered valid for two years. Applicants are required to provide their English test results obtained within the two years preceding the start of the University's application period.
# Applicants are required to arrange with the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to send their TOEFL results directly to the University. The TOEFL institution code for CityU is 3401.
HK$6,100 per credit (for local and non-local students admitted in 2023/24)
Total credit units required: 30
Duration of study
|Normal Period||Maximum Period|
|Full-time (1 year)||FT (2.5 years)|
|Part-time (2 years)||PT/combined mode (5 years)|
Contact UsProgramme Leader
For application enquiries, please contact School of Graduate Studies (SGS) at email@example.com
For visa matters, please contact Global Engagement Office (GEO) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified on 12 January, 2023