Researching Your Career
Choosing the right career path isn't that difficult. It requires good strategy plus some careful research. Think of it like buying a product instead of making a "life decision." If you do that you might:
Begin by thinking about yourself--know what you want
- What you like to do?
- What are my interests?
- What do I enjoy doing?
- What do I do for leisure?
- What your values are?
- What kind of things are important to me?
- What are you good at?
- What skills do I have?
- What you are like?
- What traits do I have?
- What are my general personal tendencies?
- How would I describe myself in overall terms?
Career Exploration--shopping around
- How many types of careers are out there
- How are they connected?
- How are they going to change?
- What are the characteristics of these careers?
- What do people say about them?
- Are there pros and cons?
Seeking out these Careers--find your product
- Where do I find them?
- Get information from a variety of sources.
- How else do I find them?
Ask a career counsellor about your choices.
Ask friends/family their ideas.
Talk to people who are in the occupations you are interested in.