Static Web Templates
CityU static web template was first released in 2011. After a decade, mobile-first design dominated all internet products, and University's main site was redesigned in 2019. To align with University branding and style consistency, a new static web template with responsive web design was released in 2020.
Bootstrap is adopted in this new version of web template. It is one of the most popular front-end development frameworks for responsive web design and development. It helps web designers and web developers save time on building web layouts. With the Bootstrap framework in our new CityU static web template, design flexibility in departmental websites could be improved, making the website accessible via mobile devices effortlessly.
Considering the massive structural source code change from the legacy template to our brand-new responsive template, an in-place update is not feasible. Departments need to download the new CityU template and rebuild their website.
To help departments kick-start, we are pleased to assist those departments having difficulties in the website revamp process by providing a customized web template. Departments may raise a CSC Work Request to us to request a customized web template for your departmental/project websites.
Use of Web Templates
Compulsory for all top-level websites of colleges and schools, academic departments, research centres, and administrative and academic support units.
Optional for sub-sites and event websites, including but not limited to, sub-divisions, projects, information and service websites. For those not using templates or heavily customizing templates, please read our guidelines for sub-sites and event websites.
Prohibited for any non-university websites, personal websites, student organizations, any websites in connection with an outside organization or commercial enterprises, or may carry a potential for financial, legal or reputational risk to the University. For more information, please refer to the University Policy and Guidelines for the Use of the University's Name, Visual Identity and Trade Marks.
The templates are designed and tested to handle various issues, covering browsers, mobile devices, SEO, accessibility, etc. With minimal customization, web templates could save a lot of time in web development.
The Zip contains the following HTML files:
- Sample basic page
- Sample components
- Sample staff list
- Sample contact us page
- Alternative header and menu styles
How to Use
Please download the web templates and customize them depending on the office's needs.
- For brand consistency, customizations to the header, navigation menu, footer, fonts and colors should be minimal. Content layouts are adjustable to suit various needs.
- For any content and customizations, the raised mobile web issues should be cleared and conform to the University-Wide Web Accessibility Policy.
- The downloaded HTML templates include links to centrally maintained scripts and images (start with template.cityu.edu.hk). Developers should not download those scripts and images as a local copy.
- The customization page provides some practical examples, in technical aspect. Hundreds of University websites also use the templates; they provide valuable references.
- For web hosting, security and account issues, please refer to Web Related Policies and Guidelines.