Outbound Exchange

** Student Exchange Programme 2021/22 is open during 9 December 2020 – 25 January 2021 **

To widen the global horizons and enhance learning experience, SEE students can apply for exchange places of partner institutions at both institutional and school level programmes.


Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA)
School-level exchange places: 2.8 or above
Institutional level (SEE-reserved exchange places): 2.8 or above
Institutional level (exchange places open for SEE and other academic units): 2.5 or above
Year of Study At the time of exchange, students should have completed at least one year of study in undergraduate programme at CityU.
English Language Proficiency

Achieved one of the following Minimum requirements:
    •  TOEFL: 79 (internet-based test) or 550 (paper-based test)
    •  IELTS: Overall band of 6.5
    •  Public Examinations:
        •  Grade C or above in one of the following:
            •  HKALE Use of English / English Literature
            •  GCEAL English Literature (or Grade B at GCSE English Language)
        •  Level 4 or above in HKDSE English Language
    •  English courses approved by Senate: Grade C or above
    •  Any other equivalent English proficiency result, including a minimum of 1650 SATI or
       International Baccalaureate Diploma with an overall minimum score of 28.
If the English language requirements prescribed by the host institution are higher than the above, you must follow such requirements for admission purpose.

Students MUST fufil the English requirement before application. Only students apply for programmes which are conducted in Chinese in Taiwan and mainland China can be exempted from the English requirement.
Partner institutions usually require the submission of TOEFL / IELTS score reports at the time of Admission Application. You are strongly advised to prepare your TOEFL / IELTS test as early as possible.

Selection Criteria
  • Please refer to Global Engagement Office (GEO)’s official website for details.
  • At the time of application, the applicant should have at least attended 3 activities under “SEE Career Aspiration and Development Programme” and “Colloquium” since the previous semester.


(i) Application Period
Two rounds of student exchange application are available.

  First Round Second Round
Exchange Period Semester A or Semester B of the following academic year Exchange Period: Semester B of the current academic year
Application Period Nov - Jan (Remarks: varies every year) Aug - Sep

(ii) Suggested Exchange Period

Student Type (Year of study and Major at the time of outbound student exchange) Suggested Outbound Student Exchange Period
Year 2, Energy Science and Engineering Semester A or
Semester B
Year 3, Energy Science and Engineering Semester B
Year 2, Environmental Science and Engineering Semester A or
Semester B
Year 3, Environmental Science and Engineering Semester A or
Semester B

(iii) Application Procedures

Important Date  Action
On or before  25 January 2021 1. Identify host institutions at Institutional level (i-level) and School level.
2. Go through the course lists of host institutions and identify courses that fit your study plan.
3. Submit Student Exchange Application and proof of English result through AIMS (under "Student Services").
10 February 2021 (rolling basis) Release of Student Exchange Application result on AIMS. 
22 February 2021 Student to accept the result via AIMS
After release of Application Result Host institutions will provide enrolment information to students in due course to apply as an exchange student of the respective institutions.
On or before
1 October 2021
Submit "Course Plan and Application for Credit Transfer" to SEE General Office.

Credit Transfer

  • You are strongly advised to take courses at host institutions relevant to your majors, minors and gateway education.  
  • You can apply to transfer the credits obtained during the exchange study towards the degree requirement at CityU.  
  • Fail grades will not be accepted for transfer of credits.  

(i)    Application for Credit Transfer
1.    Before you submit the Student Exchange Application on AIMS, check the course catalogues of all host institutions you are going to indicate in the exchange application and plan ahead for the potential study plans. 
2.    After you have accepted the student exchange application offer via AIMS, please submit the duly completed "Course Plan and Application for Credit Transfer" form by the submission deadline indicated in the above table. You should indicate at most 15 courses you plan to take at the host institution, and their equivalent CityU courses for credit transfer pre-approval.

  • Transfer credits to SEE courses: SEE Course leaders will review the course plan and decide if the credit-transfer pre-approval could be granted. Result will be announced by email.
  • Transfer credits to non-SEE courses: SEE will send the request you indicated in your "Course Plan and Application for Credit Transfer" to respective course-offering units for decision. Result will be announced by email.
  • Transfer credits to GE requirements: Please download and complete “GE Course Credit Transfer Pre-approval Form” (Office of Education Development and Gateway Education’s (EDGE) webpage )and submit it to EDGE Office for approval. Result will be announced by email.

3.    Upon return, you should submit an official transcript of the exchange study to SEE General Office as soon as you receive it. Credit transfer will only be confirmed after transcript has been reviewed.
4.    Transferred credits taken during exchange studies will not be counted in the calculation of a student’s GPA. In the student’s academic record, a “TR” grade will be assigned to the equivalent CityU course. For details, please refer to Academic Regulations and Records Office’s website.

(ii) Course Credit Transfer Pre-approval Record
⦁    Reference List:  Course Credit Transfer Pre-approval Record.pdf
⦁    The record is for reference only. Previous pre-approval does not imply successful pre-approval in the latest round of application.

Expenses and Financial Support

(i) Expenses

You should consider the following expenses for your exchange studies:

  1. Travel expenses
  2. Accommodation
  3. Passport and visa fees
  4. Medical and travel insurance
  5. Food
  6. Books and supplies
  7. Local transportation costs
  8. Personal spending
  9. Study-related fees required by your host institution


  • Though you are exempted from paying tuition fee to your host institution, you are required to remain enrolled at CityU by paying tuition fee and the study-related fees.
  • A Caution Money of HK$1000 that students will need to pay to the University when they decide to accept the exchange offer starting from this round of application. This Caution Money will be reimbursed to students when and if they complete the exchange programme to satisfaction and submitted all the required documents back to the University upon completion of their exchange programme. Should student fail to meet the above stated requirements or decide to withdraw from the programme after accepting the offer, before or after departure, the Caution Money will be forfeited.

(ii) Financial Support from the University

  1. Student Exchange Fund
  2. Special Fund for Non-local Outbound Exchange Students
  3. Joseph Lau Student Exchange Awards
  4. Subsidies Offered by the Education Bureau
  5. University Scholarships

For details, please check Global Engagement Office’s website

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Do I need to defer graduation if I participate in exchange study overseas?
    Deferred graduation is not encouraged. You are advised to work out the study plan at host institution carefully and take courses of which the credits can be transferred back to CityU.
  2. Is IELTS or TOEFL a must for the application of Student Exchange Programme?
    Students are eligible to apply should they meet one of the minimum English requirements set by the University. Yet, at a later stage, selected outbound exchange student must satisfy English language requirement, if any, set by the host university before they will be nominated by CityU, which commonly requires IELTS or TOEFL.
  3. Which semester will I be sent for an exchange study?
    For the first round application, the exchange period can be Semester A or Semester B of the next academic year. For second round application, the exchange period will be Semester B of the same academic year. You will select the exchange semester in the application.
  4. When should I go on exchange?
    Students usually go on exchange in Year 2 or Year 3 You are recommended to go for exchange study in Semester B of year 3 in view that many of the core courses in Semester A of year 3 are pre-requisites of courses to be taken in the subsequent semesters. Students who wish to go in Year 4 should be aware that according to the study plan, they are required to carry out Final Year Project (FYP) in Year 4. Please discuss with the FYP supervisor, Exchange Coordinator and Academic Advisor before applying.
  5. Will I attend both the interviews for Institutional-level Exchange Programme and School-level Exchange Programme?
    The School will invite all eligible applicants to attend interview for SEE-specific exchange places which include school-level exchange programme and SEE reserved exchange places at institutional level.
  6. Is it possible to have credit transfer for GE courses?
    To transfer credits of a course you will take at host institution to fulfill GE requirements, one option is to apply for credit transfer to an equivalent course at CityU which fits your GE requirements. However if an equivalent course cannot be identified, you may apply for credit transfer towards GE Requirements.
    Please refer to the information: http://www.cityu.edu.hk/edge/ge/student/ge_credit_transfer_s.htm .

Contact Person

Miss Vivian Kong
Executive Officer
email: kong.vivian@cityu.edu.hk / Tel: 3442 4426