Facilities for Students with Special Education Needs (SEN)
CityU values the diversity of its students and is committed to providing a learning environment that is conducive to the success of all its students, including those with Special Educational Needs (SEN), in their academic pursuits and personal developments. In supporting the IT needs for students with SEN, the Computing Services Centre (CSC) has, for many years, equipped and improved special facilities which include:
- Two height adjustable tables in each Teaching Studio for students who are on wheelchairs.
- A screen-reader software “Dolphin Supernova” (USB version) that combines a screen reader and a magnifier with Braille Support for the visually impaired.
- A notetaker “HIMS Braille Sense Plus” which acts as a Braille display from the computer for the visually impaired.
- A computer workstation with larger display in each Teaching Studio for easy access by the visually impaired students. It has been configured to work with “Dolphin Supernova” and “HIMS Braille Sense Plus”.
- Two height-adjustable carts to allow wheelchair users to access the Release Station of fast printers nearby and get their print jobs done easily. One of these carts is located on 4/F Li Dak Sum Yip Yio Chin Academic Building (LI) near the Service Desk. The other one is located on 5/F of the same building, at the corridor outside the teaching studio LI-5608.
- Lowering a portion of the Service Desk to meet the needs of wheelchair users seeking for assistance.
- An Orientation Day for students with SEN at the beginning of each academic year in order to help them familiarise with the support measures implemented in the CSC Teaching Studio Areas.
Support & Contact
Students with SEN must reserve and check out the required software and hardware at the Service Desk. They may also make online reservations through the "CSC Computer Reservation" system under "Facilities Booking" via the "Student" tab of the CityU Portal. For those who need special equipment for attending classes inside the CSC Teaching Studio Areas, please submit the Special Equipment Booking/Cancellation Form to the Service Desk two working days in advance for arrangement. Telephone booking is also accepted.