Humanities Academy 人文學堂
The Humanities Academy, a contemporary version of the traditional
Chinese quadrangle (四合院), is the centre of academic and cultural activities
in the Library. Its environment and ambience provide opportunities for students
to learn more about Chinese culture and the humanities. Situated behind
and the Mini Theatre (Le ciel de l'esprit),
the Humanities Academy is a place designed for interaction and freeform learning.
In the middle of the Humanities Academy is an open interactive area for all users
(staff, students, alumni ticket and other library ticket holders)
and will host library events, talks and seminars.
The seating capacity of the middle area is over 60. Eligible users
can access the Internet with their laptops via the wireless local area
network in the area.
Group Study Room
At the three sides of the quadrangle are eight
enclosed and fully-equipped Group Study Rooms (Room no. 1001-1008). Another Group Study Room (Room no.1011) is only equipped with LCD TV and laptop. The different equipment inside
the rooms supports presentation activities, group viewing and video conferencing. There are two other group study rooms in Persian and Korean style (Room no. 1009-1010) at the far corners of the Humanities Academy which create an environment inspiring students' interest in world civilization.
Advance booking for the Group Study Rooms is available to eligible patrons via the Library Facilities Booking System.
For users who prefer to carry out their group discussions in a semi-enclosed
environment, the three Open Rooms inside the quadrangle provide the ideal venues.
Eligible users can access the Internet with their
laptops via the wireless local area network
in the Open Room.
Room Details and Equipment
|Room Details (Floor Plan)
||Group Study Room
Mrs Chao King Lin Study Room
|General Education Room (K)
||4 - 8
||Support academic group activities
||Library Facilities Booking System
|Priority for Department
(7 days in advance)
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
|Wireless Local Area Network
|40" LCD TV (Full HD)
||Library Display only
(connect to IT Help Desk)
|All rooms are under CCTV surveillance.
Booking of the Group Study Rooms
Staff and students of programmes leading to CityU awards including associate
degree, bachelor's degree and postgraduate degree, are eligible to
use the Group Study Room during the IT Help Desk service hours
and make advance bookings via the Library Facilities Booking System.
Users may also delete or view their reservations online via the same system.
When the IT Help Desk is closed, the room will entertain walk-in users
without equipment provision and support. During Semester/Term Break right after examinations, the walk-in sessions will be suspended as demand for seats to carry out private studies is low. But during the Lunar New Year Break and the Easter Break, the walk-in sessions will still be available.
Accessing the Library Facilities Booking System
- Eligible users may access the Library Facilities Booking System directly from the link on this page and login with their <Electronic ID> and the corresponding <Password>.
- Eligible users may also access the System through CityU e-Portal. Under <FACILITIES BOOKING>
of <Univ. Services>, click on <Library Study Space & PC Booking>.
- Please refer to the Library Facilities Booking System - Help Menu
for instructions on using the System.
Booking Policy and Procedures
- There must be at least 4 users in the room during booked sessions,
including the principal user who makes the actual booking.
- The Library reserves the
right to forfeit any booked sessions for rooms that are not occupied by
the principal user who makes the actual booking and does not contain the minimum
number of users required.
- Each user will be given an allotment of 10 hours in one semester.
- The total number of time slots that can be made at any one time is limited to 2, i.e. 2 hours.
- All available time slots are reserved on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Hours for booking are confined to the IT Help Desk service hours.
- When the IT Help Desk is closed, the rooms will entertain walk-in users without equipment provision and support. During Semester/Term Break right after examinations, the walk-in sessions will be suspended as demand for seats to carry out private studies is low. But during the Lunar New Year Break and the Easter Break, the walk-in sessions will still be available.
- Reservations can be made three days in advance, or four days ahead on Fridays. (With the exception to Room 1005 for which departments will have the priority to make reservation 7 days in advance by sending an email request to the Library at email@example.com.)
- Each time slot is a one-hour session which starts at every hour sharp,
i.e. 09:00, 19:00 etc.
- If a user is late for the first 15 minutes of any reserved hour, the Library
reserves the right to forfeit a booking hour and allow any patron to use
the remaining hour without further notice. Other users wishing to use the
remaining time (45 minutes maximum) will have to approach the IT Help Desk
and register. Library staff will forfeit that specific
hourly time slot from the original user's account. As the remaining time
is less than one hour, no quota will be deducted from the new users' accounts.
- Users must observe and straightly follow the check-in and check-out procedures
for the room. Otherwise, the principal user who makes the actual booking will
be liable to any damage done to the equipment or furniture inside the rooms.
- Equipment failure or furniture damage must be reported to the IT Help Desk immediately
during the Help Desk's service hours. Users can make use of the IP Phone
inside the rooms to connect to the IT Help Desk.
- Reservation system access will be denied when the reservation account expires.
Check-in and Check-out Procedures
- Eligible users can simply swipe their CityU smartcard against the
access control system outside the room that they have booked
to gain access into it.
- When the booked sessions have expired,
users are required to turn off the lights of the rooms, return the
equipment and furniture to its original setting in the rooms and lock the
- It is important that users must lock the room after use so that they are completely
signed off. The principal user who makes the actual booking will be held liable for
damage done to the equipment or furniture inside the room if the room is unlocked after
Conduct of Users
- Please remove all personal belongings from the Group Study Rooms after use. Library staff members will remove any personal
belongings left behind. No prior notice will be given.
- Do not leave any valuables in the Group Study Rooms anytime
when you are away from the room. The Library is not responsible for
any loss of personal property.
- Do not lock in the Group Study Rooms any library books
that have not been borrowed or any in-house use materials (e.g. reference
books, journals, newspapers, etc.). Library staff have the right to remove
any library materials found in the rooms.
- Any damage / disorder of furniture or fixtures in the Group Study Rooms should be reported to the IT Help Desk at once. In case of misuse or negligence, users will be held
responsible for the total cost incurred for repair or replacement.
- The Group Study Rooms are strictly for academic use only.
- Do not eat or drink inside the Group Study Rooms.
- Do not cover the window screens on the rooms.
- The Group Study Rooms should be kept clean and tidy all
the time. Please dispose of any rubbish, old newspapers, used tissue papers
and alike properly.
- Noise must be kept to the lowest possible level.
- Users should not transfer the booking or usage to other university members or outsiders.
- Please observe Library Regulations at all times.
Important Notes to Users
- The Library reserves the right to inspect the rooms even if they are in use.
- The Library reserves the right to refuse lending the rooms to any user who fails to observe the rules and regulations.
- The Library has the final say on how to allocate the rooms should there be any arguments among/from the users.
- During revision and examination periods, the Library reserves the right to open
the rooms and convert them into temporary study areas.
- All rooms are under CCTV surveillance.
Suggestions & Inquiries
Please contact Library's IT Help Desk.