Humanities Academy 人文學堂
The Humanities Academy, a contemporary version of the traditional
Chinese quadrangle (四合院), is the centre of academic and cultural activities
in the Library. Its environment and ambience provide opportunities for students
to learn more about Chinese culture and the humanities. Situated behind
and the Mini Theatre (Le ciel de l'esprit),
the Humanities Academy is a place designed for interaction and freeform learning.
In the middle of the Humanities Academy is an open interactive area for all users
(staff, students, alumni ticket and other library ticket holders)
and will host library events, talks and seminars.
The seating capacity of the middle area is over 60. Eligible users
can access the Internet with their laptops via the wireless local area
network in the area.
Group Study Room
At the three sides of the quadrangle are eight
enclosed and fully-equipped Group Study Rooms that eligible users
can use upon advance booking. The different equipment inside
the rooms supports presentation activities, Echo360 video booth, group viewing and video conferencing.
Korean and Persian Rooms
The Korean and Persian
rooms at the far corners of the Humanities Academy are provided by the Library
to create an environment to inspire interest in world civilization. They are
reserved for academic staff only.
For users who prefer to carry out their group discussions in a semi-enclosed
environment, the three Open Rooms inside the quadrangle provide the ideal venues.
Eligible users can access the Internet with their
laptops via the wireless local area network
in the Open Rooms.
Room Details and Equipment
|Room Details (Floor Plan)
||Group Study Room
||Korean / Persian Room
|Room Name (Chinese)
||4 - 8
||Support academic group activities
Library Study Space & PC Booking System
|Reserved for Department
||Korean / Persian Room Request Form (MS Word) (PDF)
|Priority for Department
(7 days in advance)
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
|Wireless Local Area Network
|40" LCD TV (Full HD)
||Library Display only
|Echo360 Video Booth
(connect to IT Help Desk)
||Allow Outside Dialing
|All rooms are under CCTV surveillance.
Booking of the Group Study Rooms
Staff and students of programmes leading to CityU awards including associate
degree, bachelor's degree and postgraduate degree, are eligible to
use the Group Study Room during the IT Help Desk service hours
and make advance bookings via the Library Study Space & PC Booking System.
Users may also delete or view their reservations online via the same system.
When the IT Help Desk is closed, the room will entertain walk-in users
without equipment provision and support. During Semester/Term Break right after examinations, the walk-in sessions will be suspended as demand for seats to carry out private studies is low. But during the Lunar New Year Break and the Easter Break, the walk-in sessions will still be available.
Accessing the Library Study Space & PC Booking System
Booking Policy and Procedures
- There must be at least 4 users in the room during booked sessions,
including the principal user who makes the actual booking.
- The Library reserves the
right to forfeit any booked sessions for rooms that are not occupied by
the principal user who makes the actual booking and does not contain the minimum
number of users required.
- Each user will be given an allotment of 10 hours in one semester.
- The total number of time slots that can be made at any one time is limited to 2, i.e. 2 hours.
- All available time slots are reserved on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Hours for booking are confined to the IT Help Desk service hours.
- When the IT Help Desk is closed, the rooms will entertain walk-in users without equipment provision and support. During Semester/Term Break right after examinations, the walk-in sessions will be suspended as demand for seats to carry out private studies is low. But during the Lunar New Year Break and the Easter Break, the walk-in sessions will still be available.
- Reservations can be made three days in advance, or four days ahead on Fridays. (With the exception to Room 1005 for which departments will have the priority to make reservation 7 days in advance by sending an email request to the Library at email@example.com.)
- Each time slot is a one-hour session which starts at every hour sharp,
i.e. 09:00, 19:00 etc.
- If a user is late for the first 15 minutes of any reserved hour, the Library
reserves the right to forfeit a booking hour and allow any patron to use
the remaining hour without further notice. Other users wishing to use the
remaining time (45 minutes maximum) will have to approach the IT Help Desk
and register. Library staff will forfeit that specific
hourly time slot from the original user's account. As the remaining time
is less than one hour, no quota will be deducted from the new users' accounts.
- Users must observe and straightly follow the check-in and check-out procedures
for the room. Otherwise, the principal user who makes the actual booking will
be liable to any damage done to the equipment or furniture inside the rooms.
- Equipment failure or furniture damage must be reported to the IT Help Desk immediately
during the Help Desk's service hours. Users can make use of the IP Phone
inside the rooms to connect to the IT Help Desk.
- Reservation system access will be denied when the reservation account expires.
Check-in and Check-out Procedures
- Eligible users can simply swipe their CityU smartcard against the
access control system outside the room that they have booked
to gain access into it.
- When the booked sessions have expired,
users are required to turn off the lights of the rooms, return the
equipment and furniture to its original setting in the rooms and lock the
- It is important that users must lock the room after use so that they are completely
signed off. The principal user who makes the actual booking will be held liable for
damage done to the equipment or furniture inside the room if the room is unlocked after
Booking of the Korean and Persian Rooms
- The rooms may be reserved by academic staff for the following activities:
- academic board meetings and seminars
- inter-disciplinary meetings
- editorial meetings
- cross-disciplinary research and cross-campus faculty collaborations
- collaborative proposal submissions
- academic program coordination
- academic course development or preparation
- building of reference lists or bibliographies that can be
made effectively through in-house use of a wide range of library
- Hours of Use: The rooms are available for meetings Monday through
Friday between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. only [Please note: The
facility is not
available during weekends and holidays.]
- The rooms are available for booking from one hour through to a full
day (9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.).
- There must be at least 2 users in the room during booked hours,
including the principal user who makes the actual booking.
- The Library reserves the right to forfeit any booked hours for rooms
that are not occupied by the user who makes the booking and does not contain
minimum number of users.
- The Library reserves the right, at our discretion, to define, interpret,
- The Korean / Persian Room Request Form (MS Word) (PDF) must be completed, signed
by the requesting academic staff member and Head of Department and returned
to the Circulation Counter of the Library in person three business days prior to date of event.
- The Library will confirm the request by email within two business
- Upon arrival, please present your CityU ID Card to the Circulation
- When the booked hours have expired, users are required to turn
off the lights of the rooms, return the equipment and furniture to its original
setting and lock the rooms. Please notify Library staff at the Circulation
Counter when you leave the rooms.
- It is important that users must lock the room after use. The user
who makes the booking will be held liable for any damages done to the
equipment or furniture inside the room if the room is unlocked after use.
Inquiries: Telephone: 3442-8316; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Conduct of Users
- Please remove all personal belongings from the Group Study Rooms/Korean
& Persian Rooms after use. Library staff members will remove any personal
belongings left behind. No prior notice will be given.
- Do not leave any valuables in the Group Study Rooms/Korean
& Persian Rooms anytime
when you are away from the room. The Library is not responsible for
any loss of personal property.
- Do not lock in the Group Study Rooms/Korean
& Persian Rooms any library books
that have not been borrowed or any in-house use materials (e.g. reference
books, journals, newspapers, etc.). Library staff have the right to remove
any library materials found in the rooms.
- Any damage / disorder of furniture or fixtures in the Group Study Rooms/Korean
& Persian Rooms should be reported to the IT Help Desk or Circulation Counter
respectively at once. In case of misuse or negligence, users will be held
responsible for the total cost incurred for repair or replacement.
- The Group Study Rooms/Korean
& Persian Rooms are strictly for academic use only.
- Do not eat or drink inside the Group Study Rooms/Korean
& Persian Rooms.
- Do not cover the window screens on the rooms.
- The Group Study Rooms/Korean
& Persian Rooms should be kept clean and tidy all
the time. Please dispose of any rubbish, old newspapers, used tissue papers
and alike properly.
- Noise must be kept to the lowest possible level.
- Users should not transfer the booking or usage to other university members or outsiders.
- Please observe Library Regulations at all times.
Important Notes to Users
- The Library reserves the right to inspect the rooms even if they are in use.
- The Library reserves the right to refuse lending the rooms to any user who fails to observe the rules and regulations.
- The Library has the final say on how to allocate the rooms should there be any arguments among/from the users.
- During revision and examination periods, the Library reserves the right to open
the rooms and convert them into temporary study areas.
- All rooms are under CCTV surveillance.
Suggestions & Inquiries
Please contact Library's IT Help Desk.