Organized by the College of Science at CityU, the Science Summer Camp aims to bring together those who plan to embark on PhD studies in science and related disciplines. The annual event offers opportunities to prospective applicants of our PhD programmes from all across the world to meet with our talented faculty members, visit our state-of-art laboratory facilities, and to explore an array of research areas and topics that our students can choose to pursue.
Date: 10-15 July 2023
Highlights of activities: Campus tour, laboratory visits, excursion programme, research seminars, information session on PhD programmes at CityU and Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme, meeting with supervisors, etc.
What we offer to our campers?
- Meal vouchers of up to HK$100 per day (for all participants)
- 5-night on-campus accommodation (for non-local participants only)
- Travel subsidy of up to HK$3,000 upon successful completion of the 5-day programme (for non-local participants only)
Who can apply?
Local and non-local students who:
- are currently undertaking (in his/her final year of study in 2023/24) or hold a higher degree by research/ Master’s degree/ Bachelor’s degree in biostatistics, chemistry, mathematics, physics and related disciplines;
- have achieved top ranking in class or outstanding GPA;
- have the potential to fulfill/ have fulfilled CityU’s English Proficiency Requirement (those who have met the requirement will receive priority consideration); and
- intend to apply for admission to CityU’s PhD programmes in 2024/25.
How to apply?
Application deadline: 30 April 2023 (Applications received after this date will be considered on a case-by-case basis.)
1. Submit the online Application Form, together with academic transcripts, to the respective academic departments before the deadline. Each applicant can only opt to join the camp via one academic department. If available, TOEFL/IELTS/CET-6 results and the first page of publications may also be submitted to support your application.
|Department of Biostatistics||https://email@example.com|
|Department of Chemistry||https://firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Department of Mathematics||https://email@example.com|
|Department of Physics||https://firstname.lastname@example.org|
2. Applicants are encouraged to submit an online application for CityU's PhD programmes. Those who applied for PhD programme will receive priority consideration.
Established in 2009 by the Research Grants Council (RGC), the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS) aims at attracting the best and brightest students in the world to pursue their PhD programmes in Hong Kong’s universities. The Fellowship Scheme will provide a competitive annual stipend and conference and research-related travel allowance. Initial application is accepted from September to December.
What the Fellowship and CityU Offer?
In 2023/24 HKPFS*, each fellowship recipient will receive:
• A yearly stipend of HK$325,200 (approximately US$41,688)
• A conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$13,600 (approximately US$1,744) per year
• An additional entrance scholarship of HK$89,496 (approximately US$11,473) covering tuition and on-campus hostel accommodation fees for the first year of studies
• Additional financial subsidies/awards supported by RGC may be given to eligible Fellowship recipients
* Details of 2024/25 HKPFS will be available in due course.
How to Apply for HKPFS?
Applications are accepted from September to December. For more details on HKPFS, please refer to https://www.cityu.edu.hk/csci/academic-programmes/research-degree-programmes/hong-kong-phd-fellowship-scheme.
About our PhD programmes
The College of Science (CSCI) and our four academic departments strive to offer quality research degree programmes in physical sciences: Biostatistics; Chemistry; Mathematics; and Physics. Drawing upon the diverse expertise of the internationally recognized faculties and the state-of-the-art research facilities, the College offers focused curricula and rigorous research trainings to our research degree students. With a vision to generate research of regional and global impact in theoretical and applied sciences, the College equip the students with transferrable skills and attributes necessary for a career in academia and beyond.
The excellence in research as accomplished by the College can be highlighted by the State Key Laboratory of Marine Pollution (City University of Hong Kong), the Liu Bie Ju Centre for Mathematical Sciences and the Centre for Neutron Scattering. In addition, the College has a strong international reputation in research and our outstanding academic rankings are highlighted here.
Please click here to explore more about the research areas in our academic departments.
Postgraduate Studentship & Other Financial Aids
The studentship rate for 2022/23* is HK$17,510 per month (~US$2,245). The maximum award period is up to 4 years for full-time PhD students (irrespective of their entry qualifications).
Applicants may also consider applying for the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS). The Fellowship Scheme will provide a competitive annual stipend and conference and research-related travel allowance to the HKPFS recipients.
In 2023/24 HKPFS*, each fellowship recipient will receive:
- A yearly stipend of HK$325,200 (approximately US$41,688)
- A conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$13,600 (approximately US$1,744) per year
- An additional entrance scholarship of HK$89,496 (approximately US$11,473) covering tuition and on-campus hostel accommodation fees for the first year of studies
- Additional financial subsidies/awards supported by RGC may be given to eligible Fellowship recipients
* The studentship rate for 2024/25 and details of 2024/25 HKPFS will be available in due course.
To find out more about other financial aids available, please visit the website of the School of Graduate Studies.