Student Life


  1. What is the difference among institutional-level, college-level and departmental-level exchange programmes?
    Institutional-level exchange programmes are based on exchange agreements signed between CityU and a partner institutions. All full-time undergraduate students enrolling at CityU from all compatible disciplines can apply for those programmes at institutional-level.
    College-level exchange programmes are based on the exchange arrangements signed between the College and partner institutions, e.g., CENG and College of Engineering of University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. All full-time undergraduate students enrolling in CENG programmes of relevant disciplines are eligible for applying for those programmes at College-level.

    Departmental-level exchange programmes are established between a specific academic department and partner institutions. Only full-time undergraduate students of that particular department can apply for those exchange programmes.
  2. Can I take the prescribed English courses offered by the Department of English in order to fulfil the English language requirement?
    Yes, please make sure that the course that you intend to take is one of those courses approved by the Senate for fulfiling the English language requirement. Please note that these courses are not necessarily equivalent to the English proficiency requirement set by your host institution. Students must also satisfy any language requirement set by the host.
  3. Can I apply for exchange if I have not met the English language requirement before the application deadline?
    Yes, if you apply for a programme conducted in Chinese in the mainland China or Taiwan. For all other exchange programmes, students MUST fulfil the English requirement.
  4. I have met CityU English language requirement with my GE English. However, the host institution required an IELTS / TOEFL result. Can I still apply? When will be the deadline to submit the IELTS / TOEFL result?
    If you have met one of the minimum English requirements set by CityU, you can go ahead to submit your application. In case you are selected, you will need to submit the IELTS / TOEFL result with your application to the host institution before its deadline.
  5. Can I obtain credit transfer for courses that I take at my host institution? Can the transferred credits be used to fulfil the GE requirements?
    It depends on the level and relevancy of the courses you take at the host institution. You should identify the courses you wish to take and discuss with your programme leader. Please visit the following links for details. 
    Academic Regulations
    GE credit transfer Guideline
  6. Do I have to pay tuition to the host institution?
    No. You only have to pay tuition fee as well as study-related costs to CityU to maintain your student status. However, you required to pay some fees e.g., student organisation fee, transportation fee etc, to your host institution.
  7. Can I go on exchange during my final year of study?
    Subject to the approval of your department and the host institution, you may go on exchange in any semester which fits your study plan. You are advised to discuss with your programme leader before submitting an application.
  8. How can I handle my final-year project if I go on exchange?
    You should talk to your final-year project supervisor. It may be possible that you start the project earlier, say in the summer term, and complete it when you return. Alternatively, subject to the approval of your project supervisor AND your host department of the partner institution, you may undertake part of your project under the supervision of the faculty member of the host institution.
  9. Is it easy to find accommodation?
    Some overseas universities do not provide accommodation to exchange students. You should approach the International Office / Study Abroad Office of your host institution for assistance.
  10. Although there are subsidies provided by the University, what if I finally find myself not being able to afford my exchange? Is there any loan available to successful applicants? If yes, how to apply?Yes, Please check with the Student Development Services for information about CityU Temporary Student Loan for Outbound Exchange Students or Overseas Internship / Activities.
  11. How many courses do I have to enrol for a semester-long exchange? I am in my final year and have to complete a final-year project. Can I take fewer courses?
    Students on exchange are required to take and obtain at least 12 credit units (or equivalent, i.e. 20 ECTS) for 1 semester. If a student fails to meet the requirements set by CityU and the host institution, CityU reserves the right to withdraw the sponsorship in full or in part. Any reduction of study load required the approval of the student's home department before or during the exchange. Application made after the exchange will not be accepted.