The Co-operative Education Scheme (CES) is a placement programme for final year students. It begins in September and lasts for a period of 8-12 months. The CES comprises two components: final year project and industrial placement. The former is a graduation requirement. The training company is expected to provide students with appropriate technical and logistical support. The placement component involves day-to-day work in the training company to familiarize students with the practice of the industry. During the training period, students take courses on a day-release basis for no more than one day per week. The distinct feature of the CES is that upon conclusion of the scheme, students are immediately available to continue their employment with the host company.
Support from industry
Students can work in Hong Kong and the Pearl River Delta. When recruiting an intern, the host company is expected to:
- provide a training programme relevant to the student’s major study.
- assign an industry-based project for the student who will take it as a Final Year Project.
- allow the intern to attend class on a day-release basis.
- provide a training scholarship for the student.
- assign a mentor who will work with the CityU Supervisor to co-supervise the student.
- provide lodging, meal and free transportation between factory and dormitory/border checks for students posted to Mainland China
General information for the host company
Students are covered by the University's a Group Personal Accident Insurance Policy. For those who need to travel outside Hong Kong, they are also covered by the University's Group Travel Insurance Policy.
The Minimum Wage Ordinance does not apply to internship.
Mandatory Provident Fund(MPF)
During the attachment period, the interns maintain their status as full-time students of CityU. There is no employer-employee relationship between the intern and the company unless the two parties enter into such a relationship by way of an employment contract. If an employer-employee relationship is set up, contribution to MPF may be necessary.
Interested companies can register as Training Company Registration.
Students joining CES are in their final year from the following disciplines:
- electrical engineering
- biomedical engineering
- mechanical engineering
- materials science and engineering
- systems engineering and engineering management
Interested students should submit their application in March. Please refer to Work Schedule.