Frequently Asked Questions Relating to TDGTeaching Development and Related Grants
- I was awarded a TDG/TSG last year. Am I qualified to apply this year?
It depends on your project status. If your awarded project was finished and you have submitted the final report to TED Office, you are qualified to apply this year. If your project is still in progress, you must finish it before applying for a new one.
- I am now running some project funded by other funding bodies. Am I qualified to apply?
Yes. As long as you are not running a TDG/ TSG, you are still eligible to apply.
- How can I determine if I am qualified for the scheme?
All regular full-time academic and teaching staff members including lecturers, teaching fellows and instructors are eligible to apply for the Teaching Development Grants (TDGs). For Teaching Start-Up Grants (TSGs), it is only available for new faculty who have joined CityU within the past 24 months and who have not been awarded a TSG before.
- When can the PI start recruitment or purchase?
The project implementation can start after the Finance Office assigns a project account code.
- Is it feasible for the PI to transfer the budget from TDG project to other projects?
Budget transfer among projects is not allowed.
- What should the PI do if there is a change of project team members (e.g. having a new Co-I)?
The PI should send a request to the TED Office with the recommended Co-I’s resume.
- What is the main concern for the TDG Approval Panel to approve the project changes?
With the spirit of running the approved projects as planned, the PI should provide strong justifications about the proposed changes.
- Is it feasible to raise a request of budget virement (e.g. from “Staffing” to “General Expense”)?
If the PI decides to have a budget virement, he/she should provide the justification and supporting document to the TED Office. And TED Office will in turn seek the Panel's approval.
- What happens to the on-going TDG project when the PI leaves CityU?
PI should approach his/her Department Head for a nomination and endorsement of a new PI and notify the TED Office in writing.
- Can the expiration date of a TDG project be extended?
If the PI plans to extend the project expiration date, he/she should provide the justification and supporting documents to the TED Office. And TED Office will in turn seek the Panel's approval.
- If the PI would like to have publication or organize activities (e.g. poster, seminars, etc.), how does the PI acknowledge the funding body?
Please quote “This project is funded by the University Grants Committee's Teaching and Development Grants”.
- What are the major differences of applying TDGs and TSGs?
The major difference is the funding ceiling. TDGs, the funding ceiling is HK$240,000 (Projects involving international or overseas collaboration may request up to HK$270,000 for each project). While for TSGs, the funding ceiling is HK$120,000 per project.