Library Services and Facilities for Students with Special Needs
Making its collection, resources and services accessible to all users is the
principle of the Library. To further this aim, the Library will provide additional
assistance to students with special needs to facilitate their access and use
of the Library.
The Library is pleased to make reasonable adjustments to its existing service
provision, appropriate to the individual requirements of students with special needs.
Requests of special services can be directed to the IT Help Desk for arrangement.
- Tours - Tour of the library can be provided upon request to show
students the various services and facilities available in the Library (2
weeks' advance notice of the request would be preferred).
- Equipment Use - Training or demonstration on the use of general
or specialized equipment available in the Library can be arranged upon request.
- Access Arrangement for Accompanying Relatives or Assistants - Special
access permit can be granted to relatives or assistants who provide
companion and assistance to students with special needs.
- Special Education Needs Rooms and Equipment for Users with Special Needs -
Three rooms (Rm. G3620, Rm. G3621 and Rm. G3622) with the following
specialized equipment and facilities are reserved for the use by students with special needs:
- Personal Computers with JAWS and NVDA (Text-to-speech software), and OCR software
- Focus 40 Blue Braille
- Braille printer (Model: Index Basic-D V5)
- CCTV magnifier
- 4-track portable cassette tape player/recorder
- PACmate BX420 with 20 cell Braille display
- 3M polarizing light lamps
- Adjustable table
For details on the use of the room or the equipment
inside, please contact the IT Help Desk or
- Rollators - Three specially-designed wheel
walkers with hand brakes and a weight capacity of 125 kg are available
for loan to users who need mobility aids upon request at the Circulation
Counter or Law & Reference Help Desk of the Library.
- Seats and PC Workstations - Some seats in the reading areas, and PC workstations K-L and S-U within the Oval
are specially reserved for users with special needs.
- Washrooms - Two washrooms with facilities for
users with special needs, one for female and one for male, are located
outside the Library main entrance at Lift no. 6 and Lift no. 7 respectively.
For help please contact the IT Help Desk or call 3442-6963.
The Library will review its policy and the procedures arising from it annually
and in light of changes within the University, within the Library Services,
or to the law.