Services and Facilities
When you have an idea to make a model and you want to cut it with high precision and quality surface finish, laser cutting can be an answer. Laser Cutter can cut, engrave, and shape designs from a variety of materials such as wood, leather, acrylic, paper, and dozens more materials.
The laser cutter can provide the following features:
- 40W CO2 laser tube
- Largest cutting area 60cm×44cm
- Import data in SVG, DXF, JPEG, BMP, PNG, TIF, and GIF files
- Cut, engrave, and shape designs from a variety of materials such as wood, leather, acrylic, paper, and dozens more materials.
All CityU students, staff of programmes leading to CityU awards including associate degree, bachelor's degree and postgraduate degree.
Laser Cutting Price
- For each session, it will be charged with fixed cost of HK$30. The price includes the material cost of cardboard and 30 minutes session of operating the laser cutter.
How to Laser Cut
- Book the 3D printing service via Booking System.
- Each new eligible user MUST undertake a basic training and obtain certification before operating the Laser-cutter.
- The user should only cut with specific material of cardboard provided by the Library. The user should not cut other material without prior approval.
- During the laser cutting session:
- Fill in and submit the laser cutting service request form to IS counter and bring with your certification details and CityU ID card for approval.
- You need to pay the printing charge at the Circulation Counter at the time you place your laser cutting request.
- Bring your payment receipt to the IS counter to confirm the printing.
- Prepare your data file in SVG, DXF, JPEG, BMP, PNG, TIF, and GIF Format using drawing/design software. The biggest cutting is 60cm x 40cm. Import the data file into the laser cutter Software on the laptop. Contact duty staff for enquiries or assistance when needed.
- Each eligible user MUST undertake a basic training and obtain certification before operating the laser cutter.
- Each time slot is a one-hour session. Timeslots starting at 9am, 11am, 2am and 4pm are available from Mondays to Fridays (except public holidays).
- The laser cutting operation MUST not last longer than 30 minutes.
- The user should only cut/engrave/operate with specific material of cardboard provided by the Library. The user should not cut/engrave/operate other material without prior approval.
- For cutting the other material, the Library shall not be responsible for any loss, damages, or liability (whether direct, indirect or otherwise).
- Please note the booking quota of each service in CREATE!
- You are required to show up within the first 15 minutes for the session you have booked. Your reservation will be expired and automatically cancelled after 15 minutes.
- The check-out operation also includes the use of powerful laptops.
- You can reserve the laser cutting service three days in advance, or four days ahead if on Friday.
- To ensure fair access to all eligible users, the facilities are booked on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The facilities are used only for lawful purposes. No one will be permitted to use the facilities to cut objects that are against the law, obscene, in violation of another’s intellectual property rights.
- Any unsafe and dangerous operation with the laser cutter are strictly prohibited.
- In case of accidents, user should report to the Library staff immediately.
- All booking requests are subject to approval based on scheduling and availability. The Library reserves the right to refuse any requests for any reason.
Laser Cut Basic Training
To register a Laser Cut basic training, please click on the calendar item, and then select "Online Registration".