Services and Facilities
When you have an idea to make a model and you want to cut it with high precision and quality surface finish, laser cutting can be an answer. Laser Cutter can cut, engrave, and shape designs from a variety of materials such as wood, leather, acrylic, paper, and dozens more materials.
The laser cutter can provide the following features:
- 40W Sealed CO2 Laser Source
- Largest cutting area: 635 x 458mm
- Maximum speed: 42 IPS
- Import data in AI, SVG, JPEG, PNG, and etc.
- Cut, engrave, and shape designs from a variety of materials such as wood, leather, acrylic, paper, and dozens more materials.
All CityU students, staff of programmes leading to CityU awards including associate degree, bachelor's degree and postgraduate degree.
Laser Cutting and Material Prices
|Material Pricing *
||300 x 400mm
||300 x 400mm
||300 x 450mm
* Material sold by the Library should be used for laser cutting / engraving only.
How to Laser Cut
- Book the Laser Cutting service via Booking System.
- Each new eligible user MUST undertake a CREATE! Laser Cut Basic Training and obtain certification before operating the Laser-cutter.
- The user should only cut with specific material provided by the Library. The user should not cut other material without prior approval.
- During the laser cutting session:
- Bring your CityU ID card to IT Help Desk for approval.
- Fill in and submit the laser cutting service request form.
- If you need material provided by the Library, specify in the request form and pay the charge at the Circulation Counter.
- We are using Adobe Illustrator CS6 in CREATE! Laser Cutter.
- Prepare your data file in supported format using vector editing software.
- Import your data file into the Adobe Illustrator CS6 on the laptop.
- Recommended file specifications for Adobe Illustrator:
- Colour mode: RGB
- Stroke weight for cut lines: 0.01 pt
- Convert all text to outlines first.
- Include all linked files when you save your file.
- The driver can only handle one artwork per job.
- Avoid duplicated paths stacking on each other or the same path will be cut multiple times
- You must wear laser goggles for extra protection of your eyes.
- While the laser cutter is operating, be aware of its status and you must not leave it unattended.
- Each eligible user MUST undertake a CREATE! Laser Cut Basic Training and obtain certification before operating the laser cutter.
- Each time slot is a one-hour session. Timeslots starting at 9am, 11am, 2am and 4pm are available from Mondays to Fridays (except public holidays).
- The laser cutter operation MUST not last longer than 30 minutes.
- The user should only cut/engrave/operate with specific material provided by the Library. The user should not cut/engrave/operate other material without prior approval.
- For cutting the other material, the Library shall not be responsible for any loss, damages, or liability (whether direct, indirect or otherwise).
- Please note the booking quota of each service in CREATE!
- You are required to show up within the first 15 minutes for the session you have booked. Your reservation will be expired and automatically cancelled after 15 minutes.
- The check-out operation also includes the use of powerful laptops.
- You can reserve the laser cutting service three days in advance, or four days ahead if on Friday.
- To ensure fair access to all eligible users, the facilities are booked on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The facilities are used only for lawful purposes. No one will be permitted to use the facilities to cut objects that are against the law, obscene, in violation of another’s intellectual property rights.
- Any unsafe and dangerous operation with the laser cutter are strictly prohibited.
- In case of accidents, user should report to the Library staff immediately.
- All booking requests are subject to approval based on scheduling and availability. The Library reserves the right to refuse any requests for any reason.
CREATE! Laser Cut Basic Training
In the CREATE! Laser Cut Basic Training, the basic operation and safe use of the laser cutter will be introduced. Please watch Library News for upcoming announcements.
For enquiries or details about the basic training, please contact IT Help Desk at 3442-6963 or email to email@example.com.