Semester at Sea
Semester at Sea Merit-based Award, Spring 2018 Voyage
This Semester at Sea Merit-based Award (the Award) is given to outstanding candidates, up to 5 Awards, on a very competitive basis. The maximum award for each successful candidate is worth HKD$136,050. The Award is intended to subsidize part of the SAS programme fees.
- Academic merit
- Student conduct
- English language proficiency
- Personal statements
- Interview performance
Students who have never studied abroad or joined any university learning activities out of Hong Kong for 4 weeks or longer shall have priority.
An eligible applicant must:
- be a full-time student enrolled in nominative 4-year CityU undergraduate programmes, and has completed at least one year of study at CityU
- have attained a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of at least 3.5
- have fulfilled the minimum English language requirement with a score of TOEFL 550 (PBT) or 79 (iBT)/ IELTS 6.5
- be in good disciplinary standing at all times
- submit personal statements
- attend the selection interview in person, if shortlisted
Applicants should submit the following documents to
Global Services Office (GSO) on or before 24 August 2017 (Thursday).
- The completed
SAS Merit-based Award Application Form.
- Applicants whose mother-tongue language is not English must provide a proof of English language proficiency. Submit the official test result of TOEFL/ IELTS or any other internationally recognised English test result which is VALID* throughout the entire application and selection process. A minimum score of TOEFL 550 (PBT) or 79 (iBT)/ IELTS 6.5 is required.
*The results of TOEFL and IELTS shall be valid for two years from the date of the examination.
- A recent official transcript with a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of at least 3.5
- Personal statements answering the following questions (in no more than 500 words per statement)
- How will the Semester at Sea programme enhance your personal global perspective?
- What are your academic goals, and how will Semester at Sea help you achieve them? Provide at least two examples.
- What activities will you undertake upon return to CityU to promote your fellow students' understanding of the world with international perspectives?
Short-listed candidates will be invited to attend an interview in person held on 4 - 8 September 2017. Failure to attend will be deemed as withdrawal from the application.
Notes to Award Recipient
Each student, if accepted by SAS, will receive the Award once only. The amount of the Award is to subsidize part of the SAS programme fees. Therefore, the Award is given in the form of partial fee reduction, and it is not disbursable in cash. The offer of the Award is non-deferrable and non-transferable. If for any reasons the recipient withdraws from SAS at any point of time, s/he will be obliged to reimburse CityU the full amount of the Award.
ISE Scholarships, Grants and Aids
GSO will nominate the successful candidates for an additional scholarship offered by ISE. This ISE scholarship generally ranges from USD $4,000- $6,000, depending on the cabin type. The offer of this additional scholarship is determined and granted by ISE to students directly. Again, this scholarship will be offered to successful candidates in the form of partial fee reduction, and it is not disbursable in cash.
ISE also offers other scholarships, grants and aids for students. For more information, please visit:
It is the student’s responsibility to consult and seek prior approval from the teaching department(s) at the University with regard to his/her course plan and credit transfer before attending SAS. Successful candidates shall return the completed and signed SAS Study Plan to GSO on or before 28 September 2017 (Thursday).
For further enquiries, please contact GSO:
||Global Services Office
Room 3210, 3/F, Cheng Yick-chi Building,
City University of Hong Kong
Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon
Hong Kong SAR
||Monday to Friday 9:00 - 12:30 & 13:45 - 17:45