Student Visa / Entry Permit

It is required by the laws of Hong Kong that any person who does not have the right of abode or right to land but wishes to come to Hong Kong for education must obtain a student visa or an entry permit for study issued by the Immigration Department before entering Hong Kong. Dependant visa holders and people with Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG) need not to apply for a separate student visa to study in Hong Kong.

To apply for entry to Hong Kong for study, the applicant should nominate a local sponsor who can be the educational institution granting the acceptance for admission or an individual over 18 years old living in Hong Kong.

City University of Hong Kong (the University) may act as the applicant's local sponsor if he/she is accepted by the University to study in a locally-accredited local programme that is:

  • a full-time degree programme at bachelor’s degree or above level;
  • a part-time taught postgraduate programme; 
  • a full-time exchange study programme for not more than one year at bachelor’s degree or above level; or
  • a full-time short-term course at bachelor’s degree or above level (EXCLUDING courses offered by the School of Continuing and Professional Education at City University). The cumulative duration of such short-term studies shall not exceed 180 days within any 12-month period if the student is a permanent resident of mainland China, Macao or Taiwan.

The limit of stay, if granted, will be in line with the normal duration of the study programme.

Further details can be obtained from the Hong Kong Immigration Department.

How to Apply for Student Visa/Entry Permit through the University

Students who wish to seek visa sponsorship from the University should complete and submit the Request for Visa Sponsorship via the following link specific to your programme -

Admission Route /
Student Type

Submit the Request for Student Visa/Entry Permit Sponsorship via the link specific to your programme

Undergraduate Programmes
(For students admitted through the PRC National University Entrance Examination


Undergraduate Programmes


Note: please log in your Admission Application account and submit the request.

Taught Postgraduate Programmes

Research Degree Programmes

Professional Doctorate Programmes

Inbound Student Exchange Programmes

Note: please log in your Inbound Student Exchange Application account and submit the request.

Visiting / Visiting Research Students

Current CityU Students

AIMS: Student Services > Request for Student Visa/Entry Permit Sponsorship

After submitting the request, students should provide the required documents (see the information in the sections "Send Original Documents" and "Send Photocopies Only" below) to the Global Engagement Office (GEO).

Timeline for Student Visa Application

As the student visa/entry permit application processing may take 8 weeks or even longer, we strongly advise you to file your application according to the timeline listed in the table below:

Admission Route / Student Type Semester A (September Intake) Semester B (January Intake)

Inbound Exchange Students / Visiting Students

1st June

1st November

Undergraduate Programmes

One week after your acceptance fee payment deadline as listed in your Admission Offer.

Acceptance fee payment deadline: 17th May
Student visa application should reach GEO by 24th May


Taught Postgraduate Programmes, Research Degree Programmes and Others

As soon as possible

Send Original Documents

  1. Application Form ID995A (sample attached) for Entry for Study in Hong Kong with all relevant parts completed and signed by the student applicant. Please read the Guidebook for Entry for Study in Hong Kong carefully before filling in the application form;
  2. The applicant’s recent photo (to be affixed to page 2 of Form ID995A);
  3. If you are under the age of 18, enclose a Letter of Consent completed and signed by your parent to authorise a relative, friend or the visa sponsor in Hong Kong to be your guardian. The responsibility of this guardian is non-parental but a contact person in Hong Kong to facilitate the communications between the Hong Kong Immigration Department and the parent;
  4. A printed "Acknowledgement of the Request for Student Visa/Entry Permit Sponsorship"; and
  5. If you are financially sponsored by someone else, provide a Declaration by Financial Sponsor completed and signed by your financial sponsor. The Declaration should state the sponsor's relationship with you (student applicant) and that he/she agrees to underwrite your study and living expenses in Hong Kong.

Send Photocopies Only

  1. A photocopy of your travel document containing personal particulars, date of issue, date of expiry and details of any re-entry visa held (if applicable);
  2. A photocopy of the letter of admission issued by the University;
  3. A photocopy of your acknowledgement of accepting the University’s admission offer which can be printed out from your online application account (not applicable to exchange students);
  4. If you are under the age of 18, enclose a photocopy of a proof of your accommodation arrangement in Hong Kong. If you are eligible* and have already applied for the University’s Student Residence, write down Student Residence, City University of Hong Kong, Cornwall Street, Kowloon, Hong Kong in the Form ID995A as your residential address in Hong Kong; for applicants who live off campus, please write your Hong Kong address in the Form ID995A (item 6(ii) on page 3) and provide the proof of address, e.g. copy of the lease agreement;
    *You are eligible to apply for the University's Student Residence if you are (also refer to Housing Eligibility):
    a. Full-time Students in Government-funded Bachelor’s Degree Programmes;
    b. Full-time Incoming Bachelor’s Degree Exchange Students (with established agreements on student exchange with the University);
    c. Full-time Postgraduate Students studying in Government-funded Programmes within the normal study period.
    Students who are not in any of the aforementioned categories may contact Student Residence Office or their respective home college/school/department for further enquiry about on-campus housing eligibility.

  5. Photocopies of financial documents under the name of applicant, e.g. bank statements, savings account passbooks, scholarship award notification, tax receipts and salary slips. If you are financially sponsored by another party, provide the sponsor's financial statements (do not send original documents as, once submitted, all documents are irretrievable);
  6. If you are a resident of mainland China, enclose a photocopy of your People's Republic of China resident identity card; also if you have a valid Exit-entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macao (因私/因公往來港澳通行證), enclose a photocopy of the page with your personal particulars;
  7. If you are a Macao resident, enclose a photocopy of your Macao identity card; and/or
  8. If you are a Taiwan resident, enclose a photocopy of each of your household registration in Taiwan (戶籍謄本) and Taiwan identity card.

Checklist for Student Visa / Entry Permit Application

Mailing Address

Global Engagement Office
Room 3210, 3/F, Cheng Yick-chi Building
City University of Hong Kong
Tat Chee Avenue
Hong Kong SAR

*When submitting your documents, please refrain from stapling the documents. You may use paper clips or binder clips to hold the documents together.

Administrative Fee for Student Visa/Entry Permit Application

A payment of HK$600 will be charged (Effective from 1st October 2019). Payment can be made by either of the methods below. The fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.

  1. By bank draft: enclose a bank draft made payable to "City University of Hong Kong" in Hong Kong dollars with the visa application that will be posted to us; or
  2. By online credit card: you may complete the payment via the online system for Request for Student Visa/Entry permit Sponsorship. Only Visa and MasterCard will be accepted.

What Happens Next

Upon receipt of the applicant’s visa/entry permit application in a full and complete set, the University will issue the Application Form ID995B for Entry for Study (Sponsor) in Hong Kong and forward the application to the Immigration Department for approval.

When your student visa/entry permit is granted, the University will collect the self-adhesive visa/entry permit label on your behalf from the Immigration Department and send it to you via courier at the address provided in your Request for Student Visa/Entry Permit Sponsorship.

After receiving your visa/permit label, affix it to a blank page in your travel document.

If you are a permanent resident in mainland China, you can apply for the Exit-entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macao (EEP) and an exit endorsement from the Public Security Bureau after obtaining your Hong Kong entry permit label. Affix the entry permit label to a blank page of your EEP or bring the entry permit label with you when you enter Hong Kong if you are holding the credit-card-sized EEP.

Student Visa/Entry Permit Validation

Student visa/entry permit must be validated upon entry to Hong Kong. Remember to present your student visa/entry permit to the immigration officer at the checkpoint. A landing slip bearing your name, travel document number, arrival date, conditions and limit of stay in Hong Kong will be issued to you upon arrival. Do not lose your landing slip as it is a proof of your condition of stay in Hong Kong.

Important Notes

  • The University will not be able to sponsor your student visa/entry permit application if the application is incomplete.
  • The Hong Kong Immigration Department may request additional information and documents while processing the student visa/entry permit application.
  • Student visa/entry permit holders are subject to the following conditions of stay:
    1. You must attend the educational institution, i.e. City University of Hong Kong, and undertake the programme or course of study as named in the letter of admission issued by the University; and
    2. You must not take up any employment, whether paid or unpaid, or establish or join any business, unless you have secured prior approval from the Immigration Department (see Part-time Work & Internship).
  • It is the student's sole responsibility to:
    1. obtain a valid student visa/entry permit before entering Hong Kong;
    2. maintain a valid travel document; and
    3. understand and comply with the terms and conditions of your student visa/entry permit while studying in Hong Kong.
  • The University reserves the right to withdraw the sponsorship and report to the Hong Kong Immigration Department if a student's study and/or enrolment status at the University has changed.