Cost of Living and Finance

Tuition Fee and Cost of Study for Undergraduates (2019-20)

The tuition fee for non-local students is HK$140,000 (US$18,000) in the 2019-20 academic year. The tuition fee may increase if there are changes to the tuition fee set by the Hong Kong SAR Government. Please refer to the table below for the estimated cost of living.

Rough estimate of the yearly cost (2 semesters) of studying at CityU (2019-20)
Expenses On Campus Accommodation Amount1 Off-campus Accommodation
Tuition fee2
Living costs (meals, transport, laundry, and education expenses for books, stationery, etc.)3 HKD$36,000 HKD$36,000
Accommodation HKD$15,4004 HKD$45,000-55,0005
Total cost per academic year
(2 semesters)
HKD$191,400 (~US$24,575) HKD$221,000-231,000 (US$28,300-29,600)
    1. Priority will be given to non-local students during the first two years of study
    2. Tuition fee for 2019-20. For the latest information, please refer to
    3. Actual costs will vary depending on lifestyle choices. Students may also need to budget for overseas exchanges, summer study tours and emergency medical expenses, etc.
    4. Residence fee for a double room at the Student Residence on campus. All fees are subject to annual review. Room rates will vary depends on room types, please refer to for details
    5. Estimated costs for private renting. Students may refer to for some off-campus accommodation options

    Student Residence Fees


    • Double Room: HK$15,400 per year, per person
    • Single Room: HK$30,800 per year, per person
    • 3-person Apartment: HK$20,600 per year, per person

    Exchange Students (Undergraduate Level):

    • Double Room: HK$9,250 per semester, per person
    • Single Room: HK$18,500 per semester, per person
    • 3-person Apartment: HK$12,350 per semester, per person


    Rental for Off-campus Accommodations

    The rental for off-campus accommodations could vary depending on the size, location, age of the building, etc. The rental for shared private flat/serviced apartment in a hotel may cost HK$5,000 to HK$6,200 a month. It normally does not cover utility and internet charges.

    Please contact the Student Residence Office for assistance in locating information on off-campus accommodation or see "Off-campus Accommodation".

    Money Matters

    Bringing Money to Hong Kong

    It is unnecessary to carry a large amount of cash with you when you travel to Hong Kong. There is no immediate or large payment due on arrival, so an amount of around HK$10,000 in cash to support general living for the first two months should suffice.

    Each student will receive an all-in-one payment notice during the first month after enrolment covering tuition, student residence fees and insurance premiums, etc. Payment can be settled by various means. Please visit website of the Finance Office for details.

    Banking Services

    Most of the banks in Hong Kong are open from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday, and from 9:00 am to 12:30 pm on Saturdays, except for public holidays. Some banks and branches have slightly longer hours and some banking services are not available an hour before closing.

    Automated teller machines (ATMs) can be found almost everywhere in Hong Kong, providing 24-hour cash withdrawal (HK$) for Visa and MasterCard holders. Some ATMs also provide cash in Renminbi, but few support withdrawals of other currencies.

    A campus branch of the Hang Seng Bank is located on the 3rd floor of Yeung Kin Man Academic Building. For more information about the bank’s services, please call (852) 2198 0445 or visit

    Branches of other banks such as Citibank, HSBC, DBS and the Bank of China, can be found in the nearby Festival Walk shopping mall.

    Credit Cards

    Visa, MasterCard, American Express and most of the international credit cards can be used for cash withdrawal and other financial transactions at ATMs in Hong Kong. However, please note that some local shops do not accept credit cards.

    Other than the traditional payment methods, electronic payment such as Apple Pay, Google Pay, WeChat Pay and Alipay are also widely accepted in shops and restaurants.

    Currency Exchange

    The legal tender in Hong Kong is the Hong Kong dollar (HK$), which is linked to the US dollar at a rate of about HK$7.8 to US$1, although sometimes the exchange rate may fluctuate slightly.

    Entrance Scholarship

    If you are awarded an entrance scholarship, the grant will be allocated to you in two instalments for every eligible year. The scholarship will be deposited to your student account before the payment due dates for university fees and charges to offset outstanding fee amounts. The remaining balance of the scholarship grant, if available, will be transferred to your bank account or by cash cheque (on request).