Health & Insurance

Insurance is Mandatory

What Should My Insurance Cover?

  • Non-local students are required to have adequate insurance for the entire period of their study at City University of Hong Kong (CityU).
  • The insurance should, as a minimum, cover travel, personal accidents, medical expenses (accident and non-accident), hospitalisation and emergency evacuation/repatriation.
  • It is recommended that students also discuss with their insurer whether their policy will provide coverage to strike, riot, civil commotion and diseases including but not limited to the COVID-19.
  • Students are advised to take out a travel and medical insurance policy before departing for Hong Kong. Students who wish to buy additional insurance, may enrol in the CityU-contracted insurance plan. Students should note that this insurance plan will only be effective after they are physically enrolled in the University and insurance premium is settled in full.

CityU-contracted Insurance Plan

  • The CityU-contracted insurance plan is available to all non-local students, and it provides relatively basic coverage such as personal accident and medical benefits.
  • Please note that the CityU-contracted insurance plan does not include general medical consultation/outpatient coverage.
  • Students holding a Hong Kong Identity Card are eligible to use public hospital services at local rates.
  • In addition, the Young Chung-Yee Health Centre provides general medical consultation services to students on a fee-paying basis and its dental service is not available to exchange students.
  • For all-round protection, students should purchase an insurance policy on the market that will meet their personal needs.

For 2022-2023 Academic Year

Exclusion Items & Countries

Students are strongly advised to read through the insurance plan (e.g. benefits table, exclusion items and sanctioned countries, etc.) to decide if the CityU-contracted insurance plan suits your needs.
  • For exclusion under medical insurance: See section E & F on page 4-5 of insurance plan
  • For exclusion under personal accident: See section "General Exclusions" & "Sanction Clause" on page 9 of insurance plan

How Much Does It Cost?

For non-local students admitted in Semester A 2022-23
  • Basic Package Premium: HK$166.9
  • Top-Up Package Premium: HK$1,387.1 (HK$166.9 + HK$1,220.2 for Top-Up)
  • View details of insurance plan
For non-local students admitted in Semester B 2022-23
  • Basic Package Premium: HK$125.2
  • Top-Up Package Premium: HK$1,345.4 (HK$125.2 + HK$1,220.2 for Top-Up)
  • View details of insurance plan

Apart from the basic package, students may opt for additional protection at their own discretion. Voluntary Top-Up Plan (see page 6 of insurance plan) is available for an additional premium as stated above.

Note: Insurance terms, conditions and premium of the insurance plan are subject to annual review without prior notice.

How and When to Subscribe?

  • For new non-local students:
    • To Enrol: You must indicate whether you wish to enrol in the insurance plan during the online pre-enrolment process as this is one of its mandatory steps. Changes will not be allowed once the declaration is made.
  • For continuing students:
    • To Enrol: You will be asked to indicate your insurance enrolment decision through AIMS before the start of each academic year. Changes will not be allowed once the declaration is made.
    • No Response: Students who do not respond will be deemed as having adequate insurance for their study at CityU and having decided to opt out of the CityU-contracted insurance plan.
  • For voluntary Top-Up Plan:
    • To Enrol: On top of the step above, those who would like to enrol into the voluntary Top-Up Plan will have to contact GEO via by 10 Sep 2022 (Semester A 2022-23) / 21 Jan 2023 (Semester B 2022-23).

How and When to Pay?

  • The premium will be charged to your student account. You will receive a payment notice and please settle the fee before the given due date. The fee is non-refundable.

How to Claim?

Insurance claims should be made to the insurer(s) directly by completing the forms below.

Note: Please include your email address on an empty space on the medical claim form to expedite the claim process.

Who to Contact for Enquiries?

  • The basic package above covers BOTH medical and personal accident insurance, administered by two different parties.
  • Students may contact the most appropriate administrator based on the nature of their enquiry, using the details below.
  Medical Insurance Personal Accident
Policy number GM-88000993 GPP2001025
Hotline +852 3187 6831 +852 3666 7016 (CS Hotline)
+852 3666 7090 (Claims Department)

Claim Form
Mailing Address

Assicurazioni Generali S.p.A.
EB Claims Department
21/F, Cityplaza One, 1111 King’s Road,
Taikoo Shing, Hong Kong
AIG Insurance Hong Kong Limited
Claims Department
7/F, One Island East, 18 Westlands Road,
Island East, Hong Kong


It is in students’ best interests to obtain suitable insurance coverage for the full duration of their study in Hong Kong. Failure to do so may put your well-being at risk. The University and its staff are not liable for any loss, damage or injury, cost or expense arising from failure to maintain adequate insurance.