Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I need to pay tuition to CityU during the exchange period?
Yes, you must pay your normal tuition and other study-related fees to CityU while studying outside Hong Kong as an exchange student. However, you do not have to pay any tuition fee to the host institution.
2. I am a second-year student. Can I go on exchange in my final year of study?
If your application is approved by your College/School/Department, you may choose to participate in the Student Exchange Programme in any semester that fits your study plan.
3. Are there any language requirements?
Yes, unless you apply for a programme conducted in Chinese in Mainland China or Taiwan. For all other programmes, you need to fulfil the English Language Requirement set for Student Exchange Programme. You must also fulfill other specific language requirements set by the host institution, if any. If you do not meet these language requirements, your offer to participate in the Student Exchange Programme will be withdrawn, along with any approved funding.
4. When can I go on exchange?
Students who apply for exchange in the main round will be asked to indicate their choice of Semester A or B in the next academic year as their exchange semester. Students who apply in the second round will go on exchange in Semester B of the same academic year if selected.
5. Can I change my choice of host university after confirming the offer?
No, you will have to relinquish your offer and submit a new application for exchange in the next round of application.
6. What should I do with the credit units earned from the exchange programme?
You should consult your home academic unit about your study plan before the exchange study. After completing the exchange programme, you will also need to consult your home academic unit about the actual transferral of credits. The approved credits (but not grades) will be transferred back to your academic record at CityU.
College of Business students: Please check with your College.
College of Engineering students: Please check with your Department.
College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences students: Please check with your Department.
College of Science students: Please check with your College.
Jockey Club College of Veterinary Medicine and Life Sciences students: Please check with your College.
School of Creative Media students: Please check with your School.
School of Data Science students: Please check with your School.
School of Energy and Environment students: Please check with your School.
School of Law students: Please check with your School.
Students may also contact Academic Regulations and Records Office for further details.
7. What documents should I submit before departure and upon return of exchange programme?
Before departure or at the beginning of the exchange programme, you will be asked to upload the following on AIMS:
1) A copy of your proof of English language proficiency, if applicable (such as IELTS/TOEFL result or your transcript showing your grade of a University-approved English course);
2) A copy of your acceptance letter issued by the host institution;
3) A signed student undertaking on COVID-19, if applicable;
4) A proof of your insurance subscription covering the entire exchange period;
5) Your enrolment proof - either a completed ‘Confirmation of Enrolment’ or a copy of your student card at the host institution;
6) Any other documents required for the granted funding schemes, if any
Upon completion of the exchange programme, you will be asked to submit the following to GEO by email (email@example.com):
1) A copy of official transcript issued by the host institution;
2) 5 quality photos or a 1-to-2-minut video about your exchange;
3) Any other documents required for the granted funding schemes, if any