Master of Social Sciences in Counselling
Normal Period of Study
- 1 year (full-time)
- 2 years (part-time/combined mode)
Maximum Period of Study
- 2.5 years (full-time)
- 5 years (part-time/combined mode)
Credit Units Required for Graduation
This programme aims to develop the competence of professional practitioners working in a broad range of human services by offering professional and advanced education in counselling.
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes (PILOs)
Upon successful completion of this Programme, students should be able to:
1. apply knowledge and skills in counselling and become increasingly autonomous and independent in practice;
2. reflect on their counselling practice and discover, construct, articulate and evaluate personal philosophy and implicit theories of counselling;
4. practice in a creative manner to respond to cultural variations and diversity.
The MSSC programme has been accredited by the Hong Kong Professional Counselling Association (HKPCA) since 2011, all graduates after 2004 could be eligible to apply for a full membership at HKPCA.
In addition, our graduates who have completed the Counselling Practicum are eligible to run for Certified Counsellor. The HKPCA recognizes all the 120 face-to-face direct client contact hours and 26 individual supervision hours as well as 34 group supervision hours. Therefore, these abovementioned MSSC graduates could pursue the status of “Certified Counsellor” after fulfilling the required post-master face-to-face direct client contact hours and supervision hours by HKPCA Approved Supervisor.
A post-master training to facilitate the acquisition of ‘Certified Counsellor’ status for MSSC graduates is currently under preparation.