PhD and Habilitation (Habilitation à Diriger des Recherches) (Aix-Marseille University, France)
Certificate (ENA, France)
Visiting Scholar (Harvard)
Visiting Scholar (Columbia)
Co-Associate Director, CityU Centre for Public Affairs and Law
Arbitrator (Zhuhai, Qingdao, Wuhan)
- Chinese and Comparative Constitutional Law
- The Basic Law of Hong Kong
- Law of Human Rights in Hong Kong and China
- Public Administration of China
ZHU Guobin, BA, MA, LLM (RenminU), LLM (HKU), PhD & Habilitation (Aix-Marseille U), Visiting Scholar (Harvard & Columbia), is Professor of Law at CityU School of Law, Director of Public Law and Human Rights Form and Associate Director of CityU Centre for Public Affair and Law. He is Guest/ Adjunct Professor at Shandong University, Wuhan University Law School and Qingdao University Law School. He is Titular Member of International Academy of Comparative Law, Standing Council Member of Chinese Association of the Hong Kong Basic Law and Macao Basic Law, Council Member of Chinese Association of Constitutional Law and Chinese Judicial Studies Association. He also serves as Advisor to Our Hong Kong Foundation. Professor Zhu is specialised in Chinse and Comparative Constitutional Law, Hong Kong Basic Law, Chinese Human Rights Law, Comparative Law, and Chinese Public Administration, and he has extensively published in the above fields in English, Chinese or French.
- "香港新憲制秩序二十五年：回顧與前瞻" (Twenty-five Years of Hong Kong's New Constitutional Order: Retrospect and Prospect), in 二十一世紀 The Twenty-First Century, - June Issue, 2022, .pp. 16-33.
- "Deference as Proper Judicial Attitude -- with Special Reference to Anti-Mask Law Judgments", co-authored with Zhang Xiaoshan, in Hong Kong Law Journal, HKIJ Vol 50 Part (2020), pp.517-540.
- “The Role of the Judiciary and the Supreme Court in the Constitution Making Process: the Case of Nepal”, co-authored with Antonios Kouroutakis, in Stanford Journal of International Law, 55:1 Stanford J of Intl L 69 (2019), pp. 69-82.
- “Stimuli-Responsive Transformation of Governance: A Case Study of China’s Central Administration of Labor”, co-authored with Ngok Kinglun, in China: An International Journal, CIJ Vol. 15 No. 4 (Nov 2017): pp. 1-21.
- “The Hong Kong Subconstitutional Model of Separation of Powers: The Case of Weak Judicial Review”, co-authored with Antonios Kouroutakis, in Hong Kong Law Journal, HKLJ Vol 47 Part 1 (2017), pp. 221-241.
- "The Right to Minority Language Instruction in Schools: Negotiating Competing Claims in Multinational China", a lead article in Human Rights Quarterly, Vol. 36 No. 3, 2014, pp. 692-721.
- “Chinese Immigration Law and Policy: A Case of ‘Change Your Direction, or End Up Where You Are Heading’?”, a lead article in Colombia Journal of Asian Law, Vol. 26 (2013), Issue Spring 2013., pp. 1-28.
- “Weak Courts, Weak Rights – Assessing the Realization of Constitutional Rights in the PRC Courts”, in Hong Kong Law Journal, HKLJ Vol 43 Part 2 (2013), pp.713-743.
- “The Composite State of China under ‘One Country, Multiple Systems’ – Theoretical Construction and Methodological Considerations”, in I.CON - International Journal of Constitutional Law , Vol. 10 No. 1 (2012), pp. 272-297.
- "Prosecuting ‘Evil Cults’: A Critical Examination of Law regarding Freedom of Religious Belief in Mainland China", a lead article in Human Rights Quarterly, Vol. 32 No. 3, 2010, pp. 471-501.
- "Constitutional Review in China: An Unaccomplished Project or a Mirage?", in Suffolk University Law Review, No. 3, Vol 43 (2010), pp. 625-653.
- "香港基本法第158條與立法解釋" (Art 158 of the Basic Law of Hong Kong and Legislative Interpretation), in 法學研究 Chinese Journal of Law 30(2), March 2008, pp.3-26.
- "Marketization, Globalization and Administrative Reform in China – A Zigzag Road to a Promising Future", in International Review of Administrative Sciences 73(2), June 2007, pp.217-233.
- "Inter-regional Conflict of Laws under ‘One Country, Two Systems’: Revisiting Chinese Legal Theories and Chinese and Hong Kong Law, with Special Reference to Judicial Assistance", Hong Kong Law Journal 32(3), December 2002, pp.615-676.
- “A Hundred Schools of Thought Contending on Constitutionalism – The Short Life of the Great Debate of Constitutionalism Remembered”, in Hua Shiping (ed.), Chinese Legality: Ideology, Law and Institutions, forthcoming in 2022, Routledge.
- “Constitutional Review ‘with Chinese Characteristics’: Law, Institutions and Recent Developments”, in Bui Ngoc Son & ors (eds.), Routledge Handbook of Constitutional Law in Greater China, forthcoming in 2022, Routledge.
- “Paradigm Shift in Chinese Legal Studies”, co-authored with Qu J. & Zhai H., in Hua Shiping. (ed.), Paradigm Shifts in Chinese Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, Singapore, Jan 2022, pp. pp 123-148.
- “Judicial Status and Justice System in Hong Kong”, co-authored with Wong Ching Yu Edward, in Bogusław Przywora & Aleksander Wróbel (eds.), Status Prawny Sedziego: Państwa Pozaeuropejskie (Legal Status of the Judge - Non-European Countries), Volume I, Wydawnictwo Instytutu Wymiaru Sprawiedliwosci, Dec. 2020, Warsaw, Poland, pp. 173-192.
- “Deference to the Administration in Judicial Review: Comparative Perspectives”, in Guobin ZHU (ed.), Deference to the Administration in Judicial Review, Springer, Dec 2019, pp. 1-21.
- “Right to Social Security: Assessing Chinese Practice against International Standards”, in Surya Deva (ed.), Socio-Economic Rights in Emerging Free Markets: Comparative Insights from India and China, Routledge, 2016, pp. 312-341.
- “Hong Kong: un modèle d’autonomie”, in Diversité de la Démocratie - Théorie et Comparatisme: les Pays de la Mélanésie, Paris: LGDJ – Lextenso Éditions, 2016, pp. 565-573.
- “L’Etat composite de Chine dans le prisme de la doctrine «un pays, systèmes multiples» : construction théorique et considérations méthodologiques”, in Mélanges en l’Honneur du Professeur Christian Louit, Brussels: Bruylant, 2016, pp. 463-492.
A. Authored Books
- Constructing Constitutional Order of “One Country Two Systems” – Seeking Dynamic Equilibrium [《建構“一國兩制”憲制——在動態中達至平衡》], in Chinese, Hong Kong: Joint Publishing (HK) Co. Ltd., Oct 2020, 381 pages.
- Government and Politics of Contemporary China [《當代中國政治與政府》], in Chinese, co-authored with WU Aiming and LIN Zheng, Beijing: Renmin University of China Press, June 2004, 402 pages; revised ed., March 2010, 433 pages; and 3rd edition, March 2015, 362 pages (new format).
- Jurisprudence and Politics in the Fragrant Harbour: Making Waves with the Hong Kong Basic Law [《香江法政縱橫-香港基本法學緒論》], in Chinese Beijing: Law Press, Aug 2010，247 pages.
- Constitutional Law and Political System of the PRC [《中國憲法與政治制度》], in Chinese, Hong Kong: Joint Publishing (HK) Co. Ltd., July 1997, 307 pages; reprinted by Law Press, Beijing, Dec 1997, 294 pages; and 2nd ed., by Law Press, Aug 2006, 395 pages.
- Pursuing the Road to Constitutionalism – A Review of the Constitutional Reform in the First Half of 20th Century of China from the Perspective of Process of Modernity [《探尋憲政之路–從現代化的視角檢討中國20世紀上半葉的憲政實踐》], in Chinese, co-authored with Guo Baoping, Jinan: Shandong People’s Press, Jan 2005, 239 pages.
- Le Statut de Hong Kong: Autonomie ou Intégration [The Legal Status of Hong Kong: Autonomy or Intégration], in French, Aix-en-Provence: Presses Universitaires d’Aix-Marseille, France, Dec 2002, 287 pages.
- La Réforme de la Fonction Publique et Son Evolution en Droit Chinois [The Reform of Chinese Civil Service and its Evolution in Law], in French, Aix-en-Provence: Presses Universitaires d’Aix-Marseille, France, May 1995, 386 pages.
B. Edited Books
- Construction of the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area - Legal Cooperation and Innovation [《粵港澳大灣區建設 - 法制合作與創新》], in Chinese, co-edited with Deng Kai, Hong Kong: Joint Publishing (HK) Co. Ltd., forthcoming in July 2022.
- Hong Kong National Security Law: Jurisprudence and Practice [《香港國家安全法：法理與實踐》], in Chinese, co-edited with HAN Dayuan, WANG Jiangyu & HUANG Mingtao, Hong Kong: Joint Publishing (HK) Co. Ltd., Nov 2021, 291 pages.
- The System and Power of Chief Executive and The Governance of the HKSAR [《行政長官制度、權力與特區管治》], in Chinese, co-edited with ZHANG Xiaoshan and YANG Xiaonan, Hong Kong: City University of Hong Kong Press, July 2021, 312 pages.
- Constitutional Law and Human Rights in Hong Kong: A Sourcebook, co-edited with Mark Kielsgard and Surya Deva, Hong Kong: City University of Hong Kong Press, July 2021, 697 pages.
- The Co-location Project and the Power of the National People’s Congress Standing Committee [《“一地兩檢”與全國人大常委會的權力》], in Chinese, Hong Kong: City University of Hong Kong Press, Nov 2020, 341 pages.
- Personal Data (Privacy) Law in Hon Kong – A Practical Guide on Compliance, co-edited with Stephen Kai-yi Wong, Hong Kong: City University of Hong Kong Press, July 2016, 524 pages; 2nd & expanded ed., Dec 2020, 852 pages.
- A Focal Study of the Relationship between the Central Authorities and the Special Administrative Region [《中央與特別行政區關係專論》], in Chinese, co-edited with ZHU Shihai, Hong Kong: City University of Hong Kong Press, July 2019, 364 pages.
- Deference to the Administration in Judicial Review: Comparative Perspectives, Springer, Dec 2019, 445 pages.
- The Fifth Interpretation of the NPCSC: Constitutional and Jurisprudential Implications [《第五次人大釋法：憲法與學理論爭》], in Chinese, Hong Kong: City University of Hong Kong Press, July 2018, 436 pages.
- The Study of Political Structure of the HKSAR [《香港特區政治體制研究》], in Chinese, Hong Kong: City University of Hong Kong Press, July 2017, 296 pages.
- Hong Kong Judicial System [《香港司法制度》], in Chinese, a revised edition, co-edited with HUANG Hui et al., Hong Kong: Chung Hwa Books, July 2013, 312 pages.
- Constitutional Rights and Constitutionalism – A Study of the Current Constitutional Issues in Contemporary China [《憲法權利與憲政 – 當代中國憲法問題研究》], in Chinese, co-edited with FU Hualing, Hong Kong: The University of Hong Kong Press, Oct 2011, 438 pages (50%).
- A New Introduction to Chinese Law [《新編中國研究法》], in Chinese, co-edited with LIN Laifan & XU Mengzhou, Hong Kong: City University of Hong Kong Press, July 2007， 623 pages.
- China and WTO: Going West, co-edited with David Smith, Hong Kong: Sweet & Maxwell Asia, Jan 2002, 314 pages.
- The Basic Law of the HKSAR: From Theory to Practice, co-edited with MF Leung, prefaced by C H Tung and Elsie Leung, Singapore: Butterworths Asia, Aug 1998, 419 pages.
- Advisor to Our Hong Kong Foundation, Hong Kong
- Trustee of The Legal Education Trust Fund Ltd., Hong Kong
- Vice-Chairman of Steering Committee for Undergraduate Legal Education of Colleges and Universities of Guangdong Province, China
- Guest Professor (Law) at Shandong University (Jinan)
- Adjunct Professor at School of Law of Wuhan University and School of Law of Qingdao University
- Advisor to Vienna Journal on International Constitutional Law
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Titular Member, International Academy of Comparative Law
- Standing Council Member, Chinese Association of the Hong Kong Basic Law and Macao Basic Law
- Council Member, China Society of Constitutional Law
- Council Member, Chinese Judicial Studies Association
- Member, International Association of Constitutional Law
- Member, French Society of Comparative Legislation
- Member, National Association of Hong Kong and Macau Studies