LLB & PhD (Aix-Marseille, France) (1st class)
MPhil (Tübingen, Germany) (1st class)
LLM (University of Rennes, France) (1st class)
- International Economic Law
- Commercial and Investment Contracts
- Special Economic Zones
- Arbitration and Dispute Resolution
- Cyberlaw (ICANN, domain names, trademarks)
- Transborder Data Flows and Data Privacy Law
Dr. Julien Chaisse currently serves as professor at the City University of Hong Kong (CityU), School of Law. He is an award-winning and world-renowned expert on international economic law (trade, investment, and tax), cyberlaw, and international dispute resolution. His work has garnered wide academic recognition and has been cited by international courts/tribunals as well as the U.S. Courts. He is the awardee of the Humanities and Social Sciences Prestigious Fellowship (2021) and the recipient of the Smit-Lowenfeld Prize from the International Arbitration Club of New York (2020). He also sits on the editorial boards of several high impact academic journals, and serves as Editor-in-Chief of the Asia Pacific Law Review.
Dr. Chaisse is an accomplished senior arbitrator. Numbers of his adjudications have been reported by local and international press. He is frequently called upon as an expert witness in international trade/investment litigation and arbitration, to advise international organizations, governments, law firms, and private investors on private/public international law issues (e.g., concessions contracts, special economic zones, investment structuring, state and international organization immunities, and WTO accession), and he has assisted over twenty jurisdictions in drafting trade/investment treaties and legislation.
Dr. Chaisse is currently President and Chair of the Asia Pacific FDI Network (APFN), which is the most important organization in the region that focuses on researching foreign direct investment and facilitating cooperation among over 100 scholars and 50 institutions. He has extensive experience working as a corporate board member, and serving on the board of directors/advisory board for a number of international organizations, including the World Free Zone Convention (WFZC), the Academy of International Dispute Resolution & Professional Negotiation (AIDRN), the National Institute of Malaysian and International Studies (IKMAS), and the Asian Academy of International Law (AAIL). In addition, Dr. Chaisse is an active member of the World Economic Forum (“Tax and Globalization Working Group” and “Data Policy Platform”), a member of the Hong Kong’s Government Board of Review (Inland Revenue Ordinance), an advisor and partner to the United Nations ARTNET on FDI, and a member of the Academic Forum on Investor-state Dispute Settlement. He also serves as Director of the Dot Trademark Policy Committee (DTPC), a co-founder of the Internet Intellectual Property Institute (IIPI), and is a member of the ICANN’s Working Group, which produced the Report of the Review of All Rights Protection Mechanisms in All gTLDs, among other highly-regarded white papers.
Prior to joining CityU Law School, Dr. Chaisse taught at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, Faculty of Law (2009-2019) where he served as Director of one the Faculty’s research centres as well as Director of PhD & MPhil Program. Before moving to Hong Kong, he worked as deputy head of the working group on the rules and regulations for multilateral trade and investment agreements at the World Trade Institute in Bern, Switzerland (2006-2009), as a lecturer at Elite School Sciences Po Aix in France (2004-2006), and as a diplomat for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of France at the French Embassy in New Delhi, India (2001-2004).
- Humanities and Social Sciences Prestigious Fellowship (2021), Hong Kong Research Grants Council
- Tenth annual Smit-Lowenfeld Prize (2020), International Arbitration Club of New York
- Vice-Chancellor's Young Researcher Award (2018), Chinese University of Hong Kong (85th Congregation)
- Vice-Chancellor's Exemplary Teaching Award (2015), Chinese University of Hong Kong (82nd Congregation)
- Research Excellence Award (2012), Faculty of Law, Chinese University of Hong Kong
- European Union Law Award, Prize for Best Doctoral Thesis (2008), University of Aix-Marseille
Articles in Law Journals and Other Scholarly Reviews
- “Domestic Investment Laws and International Economic Law in the Liberal International Order,” 22(2) World Trade Review (Forthcoming 2023).
- “Tariffs and Threats in U.S. Trade Policy,” 54(2) Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law (Forthcoming 2022).
- “Smart Courts, Smart Contracts, and the Future of Online Dispute Resolution,” 5(2) Stanford Journal of Blockchain Law & Policy 64-92 (Forthcoming 2022).
- “Arbitration Clauses in Intellectual Property Contracts: Past, Precedence, and Future,” 56(1) The International Lawyer 123-166 (2022).
- “Towards Unilateral Economic Law,” 24(2) Journal of International Economic Law 229-257 (2021).
- “Dangerous Liaisons: The Story of Special Economic Zones, International Investment Agreements, and Investor-State Dispute Settlement,” 24(2) Journal of International Economic Law 443-471 (2021).
- “Arbitration of FRAND Disputes in Standard-Essential Patent Licensing: Towards Global Substantive and Procedural Rules,” 38(4) Intellectual Property Quarterly 350-373 (2021).
- “One Stone, Two Birds: Can China Leverage WTO Accession to Build the BRI?” 55(2) Journal of Word Trade 287-308 (2021).
- “Rethinking Hong Kong’s Tax Treaties: Challenges of Transparency, Harmonization, and Global Tax Reform,” 51(2) Hong Kong Law Journal 405-440 (2021).
- “Conservative Innovation: The Ambiguities of the China International Commercial Court,” 115(1) American Journal of International Law Unbound 17-22 (2021).
- “The Pervasive Problem of Special Economic Zones for International Economic Law: Tax, Investment, and Trade Issues,” 19(4) World Trade Review 567-588 (2020).
- “Excessive Costs and Recoverability of Costs Awards in Investment Arbitration,” 21(2-3) Journal of World Investment & Trade 251-299 (2020).
- “Global Commons as an Emerging Arena of Contestation of Global Governance Structures and Norms,” 22(5) International Community Law Review 533-558 (2020).
- “Chinese Puzzle: Anatomy of the (Invisible) Belt and Road Investment Treaty,” 23(1) Journal of International Economic Law 245-269 (2020).
- “One Step Forward, Two Steps Back? The Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership’s Investment Chapter,” [Chinese Version] 271 Columbia FDI Perspectives 1-3 (2020).
- “The Monetization of Investment Claims: Promises and Pitfalls of Third-Party Funding in Investor-State Arbitration,” 44(2) Delaware Journal of Corporate Law 113-166 (2019).
- “The Merging of Two Worlds? Cyber Law and Trade Law Normative Convergence on Internet Domain Names,” 37(2) Boston University International Law Journal 281-306 (2019).
- “China’s ‘Belt and Road’ Initiative: Mapping the World's Normative and Strategic Implications,” 52(1) Journal of World Trade 163-185 (2018).
- “Soft Law in International Law-Making: How Soft International Taxation Law is Reshaping International Economic Governance,” 13(2) Asian Journal of WTO Law and Health Policy 463-509 (2018).
- “The EU Investment Court: Challenges on the Path Ahead,” [Chinese Version] 219 Columbia FDI Perspectives 1-4 (2018).
- “The ‘Noodle Bowl Effect’ of Investment Treaties in Asia: The Phenomenon, the Problems, the Practical Solutions,” 33(4) ICSID Review 44-69 (2018).
- “The Doctrine of Legitimate Expectations: International Law, Common Law, and Lessons for Hong Kong,” 48(1) Hong Kong Law Journal 79-104 (2018).
- “Shareholder Protection Reloaded: Redesigning the Matrix of Shareholder Claims for Reflective Loss,” 52(1) Stanford Journal of International Law 51-94 (2017).
- “Draft Agreement and Rules on the Establishment of the Asia-Pacific Regional Mediation Organization,” 13(1) Asian Journal of WTO Law and Health Policy 5-26 (2017).
- “Renewables Re-Energized? The Internationalization of Green Energy Investment Rules and Disputes,” 9(4) Journal of World Energy Law & Business 269-281 (2016).
- “Investor-state Arbitration in International Tax Dispute Resolution: A Cut Above Dedicated Tax Dispute Resolution?” 35(2) Virginia Tax Review 149-223 (2016).
- “Navigating the Expanding Universe of International Treaties on Foreign Investment: Creation and Use of a Critical Index,” 18(1) Journal of International Economic Law 79-115 (2015).
- “Deconstructing the WTO Conformity Obligation: A Theory of Compliance as a Process,” 38(1) Fordham International Law Journal 57-98 (2015).
- “The Evolving and Multi-layered Investment Regulatory Framework between the European Union and India,” 20(3) European Law Journal 385-422 (2014).
- “Maintaining the WTO's Supremacy in the International Trade Order: A Proposal to Refine and Revise the Role of the Trade Policy Review Mechanism,” 16(1) Journal of International Economic Law 9-36 (2013).
- “Exploring the Confines of International Investment and Domestic Health Protections: General exceptions clause as a forced perspective,” 39(2/3) American Journal of Law & Medicine 332-361 (2013).
- “Promises and Pitfalls of the European Union Policy on Foreign Investment: How will the New EU Competence on FDI affect the Emerging Global Regime?” 15(1) Journal of International Economic Law 51-84 (2012).
- “Sovereign Wealth Funds as Corporations in the Making: Economic Feasibility and Regulatory Strategies,” 45(4) Journal of World Trade 837-875 (2011).
- “Why Will China Establish a Government-Sponsored Response Mechanism in Countervailing Games?” 10(2) Journal of World Investment & Trade 227-240 (2009).
- “Implementing World Trade Organization Rules through Negotiation and Sanction,” 28(1) University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Law 153-186 (2007).
- “Adapting the European Community Legal Structure to the International Trade,” 17(6) European Business Law Review 1615-1635 (2006).
Journal Special Issues
- “Domestic Investment Laws and International Economic Law in the Liberal International Order,” 22(2) World Trade Review (Forthcoming 2023).
- “International Economic Law and the COVID-19 Sanitary Crisis,” 21(1) Brazilian Journal of International Law (Forthcoming 2021).
- Towards Unilateral Economic Law: Special Economic Zones in International Economic Law (with G. Dimitropoulos) (Special Issue 24(2) Journal of International Economic Law, 2021).
- The African Continental Free Trade Area Agreement (AfCFTA) (with J. Górski, E. Laryea, M.M. Mbengue, and K. Olaoye) (Special Issue 21(4) Transnational Dispute Management, 2021) 480.
- China and the Global Commons (with M. Burnay) (Special Issue (22)5 International Community Law Review, 2020).
- The Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (with E. Whitsitt, F. Sourgens, T. Ishikawa) (Special Issue 19(5) Transnational Dispute Management (2018) 515.
- China’s One Belt, One Road-- Consequences for the World of Arbitration (with T. Cheng, M. Chi) (Special Issue 17(3) Transnational Dispute Management (2016) 421.
- Les économies asiatiques face aux défis de la compétitivité internationale (Special Issue 19(1) Revue Economique et Sociale (2009) 172.
Books and Monographs
- The International Law of Economic Integration (with C. Herrmann) (Oxford University Press, Forthcoming 2023).
- The Elgar Companion to the World Trade Organisation (with C. Rodríguez-Chiffelle) (Edward Elgar, Forthcoming 2023).
- At the Crossroads of World Order: Contestation, Global Governance, and European Responses (with J. Wouters) (Oxford University Press, Forthcoming 2022).
- Handbook of International Investment Law and Policy (with L. Choukroune & S. Jusoh) Volumes I, II, III, and IV (Springer-Nature, 2021) 2,690.
- Wine Law and Policy: From National Terroirs to a Global Market (with F. Dias Simões & D. Friedmann) (Brill, 2021) 708.
- Sixty Years of European Integration and Global Power Shifts: Perceptions, Interactions and Lessons (Hart, Modern Studies in European Law, 2020) 520.
- China's International Investment Strategy: Bilateral, Regional, and Global Law and Policy (Oxford University Press, 2019) 576.
- The Future of Asian Trade Deals and Intellectual Property (with K-C Liu) (Hart, 2019) 320.
- The Belt and Road Initiative: Law, Economics, and Politics (with J. Górski) (Brill, 2018) 760.
- Legal Problems of Economic Globalization: A Commentary on the Law and Practice (2nd Edition) (Wolters Kluwer, 2017) 976.
- The Regulation of Global Water Services Market (Cambridge University Press, 2017) 446.
- International Investment Treaties and Arbitration Across Asia (with L. Nottage) (Brill, Nijhoff International Investment Law Series, 2017) 694.
- International Economic Law and Governance: Essays in the Honour of Mitsuo Matsushita (Oxford University Press, 2016) 624.
- The ASEAN Comprehensive Investment Agreement: The Regionalization of Laws and Policy on Foreign Investment (Edward Elgar, International Investment Law Series, 2016) 265.
- International Taxation: Law and Practice in Hong Kong and China (with M. Lang) (Wolters Kluwer, 2015) 337.
Chapters in Books
- “Economic Integration, International Economic Law and Policy: Rethinking the International Law Foundations” in The International Law of Economic Integration (edited by Julien Chaisse & C. Herrmann) (Oxford University Press, Forthcoming 2023).
- “Praised, But Not Practiced: EU’s Paradoxes of Hybrid Dispute Resolution” in Multi-Tier Approaches to the Resolution of International Disputes: A Global and Comparative Study (edited by Anselmo Reyes and Gu Weixia) (Cambridge University Press, 2022) 363-383.
- “The China International Commercial Court: Architecture, Pitfalls, and Promises” in International Commercial Courts: The Future of Transnational Adjudication (Stavros Brekoulakis & Georgios Dimitropoulos) (Cambridge University Press, 2022).
- “The Resolution of International Commercial and Financial Disputes” (with Carrie Shu Shang) in Multi-Tier Approaches to the Resolution of International Disputes: A Global and Comparative Study (edited by Anselmo Reyes and Gu Weixia) (Cambridge University Press, 2022) 92-109.
- “Investor-State Dispute Settlement and Environment”, in: Panagiotis Delimatsis & Leonie Reins (eds) Trade and Environmental Law - Elgar Encyclopedia of Environmental Law series (London: Edward Elgar, 2021) 840.
- “Plea of Illegality in International Arbitration” in Max Planck Encyclopaedia of International Procedural Law (edited by Hélène Ruiz Fabri) (Oxford University Press, 2021) 885-912.
- “Investment Rule-making in Asia–European Union Relations: Legal and Policy Considerations” in The Asian Turn in Foreign Investment (edited by Chester Brown and Mahdev Mohan) (Cambridge University Press, 2021) 218-241.
- “China's International Investment Law and Policy Regime: Identifying the Three Tracks” in China's International Investment Strategy: Bilateral, Regional, and Global Law and Policy (edited by Julien Chaisse) (Oxford University Press, 2019) 1-22.
- “The ASEAN Comprehensive Investment Agreement: Much More Than a BIT of Protection for Foreign Investors?” in ASEAN Law in the New Regional Economic Order: Global Trends and Shifting Paradigms (edited by Bryan Mercurio & Pasha Hsieh) (Cambridge University Press, 2019) 232-250.
- “Global Water Services Market and the Law: A Paradigm in the Making” in The Regulation of Global Water Services Market (edited by Julien Chaisse) (Cambridge University Press, 2017) 12-41.
- “Untangling the Triangle: Issues for State-Controlled Entities in Trade, Investment and Competition Law” in International Economic law and Governance: Essays in the Honour of Mitsuo Matsushita (edited by Julien Chaisse and Tsai-yu Lin) (Oxford University Press, 2016) 233-258.
- “Developing and Strengthening International Economic Law: The Contribution of Mitsuo Matsushita” in International Economic law and Governance: Essays in the Honour of Mitsuo Matsushita (edited by Julien Chaisse and Tsai-yu Lin) (London: Oxford University Press, 2016) 8-28.
- “The Impact of International Investment Agreements on the Greek Default” in International Economic Law after the Global Crisis: A Tale of Fragmented Disciplines (edited by Chin Leng Lim and Bryan Mercurio) (Cambridge University Press, 2015) 306-328.
- “The Regulation of Investment in the TPP: Towards a Defining International Agreement for the Asia-Pacific Region” in The Regionalization of Investment Treaty Arrangements: Developments and Implications (edited by Jansen Calamita and Mavluda Sattorova) (British Institute of International and Comparative Law, Series 'Current Issues in Investment Treaty Law' Volume 5, 2014) 270-319 .
- “The Regulation of Sovereign Wealth Funds in the European Union” in Sovereign Investment: Concerns and Policy Reactions (edited by Karl P. Sauvant, Lisa Sachs, and Wouter P.F. Schmit Jongbloed) (Oxford University Press, 2012) 462-495.
- “Towards Innovations in Investment Rulemaking?” in The Trans-Pacific Partnership: A Quest for Twenty-first Century Trade Agreement (edited by Chin Lim, Deborah Elms, Patrick Low) (Cambridge University Press, 2011) 147-170.
- “The Regulatory Framework of International Investment: The Challenge of Fragmentation in a Changing World Economy” in The Prospects of International Trade Regulation: From Fragmentation to Coherence (edited by Thomas Cottier and Panagiotis Delimatsis) (Cambridge University Press 2010) 417-451.
- “The Case for Hong Kong joining Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP),” East Asia Forum (2021).
- “Digital Trade in Services and Taxation - White Paper October 2021” Platform for Shaping the Future of Trade and Global Economic Interdependence (contributor),” World Economic Forum (2021).
- “Hong Kong’s New Approach to Investment Treaty Arbitration,” Kluwer Arbitration Blog (2021)
- “Fighting fund: Can third-party financing tip the scales for dispute resolution?” Asia Business Law Journal (2021)
- “As rich countries reel from COVID-19, is wealth really an indicator of good healthcare?” The Economic Times (2021)
- “Singapore’s Amendment to Its International Arbitration Act Pledges Its Leadership in the Asia-Pacific Region,” Kluwer Arbitration Blog (2020)
- “China’s Massive Hainan Free-trade Port,” Financial Times - fDi Intelligence (2020).
- “A Roadmap for Cross-Border Data Flows: Future-Proofing Readiness and Cooperation in the New Data Economy (contributor),” World Economic Forum (2020).
- “COVID-19 and the Gloomy Outlook for Global Investment: Freefall, Protectionism, and Disputes,” Financier Worldwide (2020).
- “White Paper on Tax, Digitalization and Globalization,” World Economic Forum, Tax and Globalization Working Group (2020).
- “New Courts, New Perspectives: Hybrid International commercial courts,” Asia Law (2020)
- “China Cannot Escape Middle-income Trap unless it Solves Reshoring Quandary,” Financial Times - fDi Intelligence (2020).
- “Strategic Brief on Misconceptions around Trade Balances,” World Economic Forum, Global Future Council on International Trade and Investment (2019).
- “Strategic Brief for the Annual Meeting of Stewards of International Trade and Investment,” World Economic Forum, Global Future Council on International Trade and Investment (2018).
- “Was 2016 the Year the World Turned its Back on Free Trade?” The Conversation (2017).
“Strategic Brief for Trade Ministers on Creating an Inclusive Trade Agenda,” World Economic Forum, Global Future Council on International Trade and Investment (2017).
- “Strategic Brief for the G20 Summit in Hamburg, Germany,” World Economic Forum, Global Future Council on International Trade and Investment (2017).
- “Another Conflict of Norms-- How BEPS and International Taxation Relate to Investment Treaties,” International Institute for Sustainable Development - Investment Treaty News (2017).
- “Strategic Brief for Trade Ministers on the WTO Dispute Settlement Mechanism,” World Economic Forum, Global Future Council on International Trade and Investment (2017).
- “Strategic Brief on Trade Rules for the Global Tech Race,” World Economic Forum, Global Future Council on International Trade and Investment (2017).
- “Rising Protectionism Threatens Global Trade: WTO Law and Litigation in Asia” 19(3) Asian Dispute Review (2017) 112–118.
- “TTIP: ¿hacia el caos de otro paradigma comercial?” 17(10) International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development (ICTSD) Puentes (2016).
- “International Investment Law and Taxation: From Coexistence to Cooperation” Think Piece, World Economic Forum (WEF) - E15initiative (2016).
- “Privatización del agua en América Latina: implicancias para las políticas de desarrollo sostenible” 16(7) International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development (ICTSD) Puentes (2015).
- “The Investment Version of the Asian Noodle Bowl: The Proliferation of International Investment Agreements” 128 Asian Development Bank (ADB) Working Paper (2014).
- “Tendencias globales en la construcción de normas y arbitraje de inversion” 15(8) International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development (ICTSD) Puentes (2014).
- ‘The Tax Factor of the Global Trade War: Designing Better Digital Tax Rules’ Humanities and Social Sciences Prestigious Fellowship Scheme (HSSPFS), Hong Kong SAR Research Grants Council (RGC Ref No. 31000121), 2021-2023, HK$453,900
- 'Anatomy of Hong Kong’s International Trade Law' as principal investigator, General Research Fund (GRF), Hong Kong SAR Research Grants Council (RGC Ref No. 11606820), 2020-2022, HK$999,600
- 'The COP and MOOT Project for Climate Change Education in Hong Kong' as principal investigator, Environment and Conservation Fund (ECF) EECA No. 1795, 2018-2020, HK$721,000
- 'The European Union at the Crossroads of Global Order (EUCROSS)' as co-investigator, Jean Monnet Network (led by KU Leuven's Centre for Global Governance Studies), European Union's Erasmus+ programme, 2018-2021, HK$3M
- 'Towards a China-EU Bilateral Investment Treaty-: Issues, Challenges and Directions' as principal investigator, General Research Fund (GRF), Hong Kong SAR Research Grants Council, 2016-2018, HK$914,440
- ‘International Investment Treaties and Arbitration across Asia’ as co-investigator, Australian Research Council Discovery Project (DP140102526) 2015-2018, HK$2M
- 'Consumer Policy in China: Protecting the Citizens, Strengthening the Domestic Market and Building an Ecological Civilization' as co-investigator, Macau SAR Research Grants Council, 2016-2018, HK$1.5M
- ‘Managing the Globalization of Water Services in a World Affected by Climate Change: Regulatory and Economic Challenges' as principal investigator, Research Development Fund, World University Network (WUN) 2013-2017, HK$890,000
- The Changing Paradigm of Economic Diplomacy in Asia' as principal investigator, Taiwan Collaboration Fund, CUHK Office of Academic Links (OAL), 2015-2016, HK$390,00
- 'The Practice of Treaty-Shopping in international law' as principal investigator, AECSRP IEEM Academic Research Project Grant, 2014-2015, HK$80,000
- 'Hong Kong Foreign Direct Investment Profile' as principal investigator, supported by CUHK New Asia College the Chiap Hua Cheng's Foundation Fund in cooperation with Columbia University, Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment (CCSI), 2013-2015, HK$250,000
- 'Do Bilateral Investment Treaties Increase Foreign Direct Investment Flows? Revisiting the role of legal parameters in economic empirical research' as principal investigator, supported by the Vienna University of Business and Economics (WU), Arbeitskammer Vienna (Austria), and the CUHK Cheng Foundation Fund (No. I12076), 2010-2014, HK$2M
- 'United States of America and China Trade Litigation in the WTO' as co-investigator (我国入世以来利用WTO争端解决机制解决中美贸易争端的实践与经验研究) Chinese Ministry of Education (No. 12JJD790022), 2010-2012, HK$500,000
- 'Regulatory Strategies of Sovereign Wealth Fund in making' as principal investigator, Earmarked Research Grant (ERG), CUHK, 2009-2011, HK$60,000