LLB & PhD (Aix-Marseille, France) (1st class)
MPhil (Tübingen, Germany) (1st class)
LLM (University of Rennes, France) (1st class)
- International Economic Law
- Commercial and Investment Contracts
- Special Economic Zones
- Arbitration and Dispute Resolution
- Cyberlaw (ICANN, domain names, trademarks)
- Transborder Data Flows and Data Privacy Law
- Vitivinicultural law
Dr. Julien Chaisse currently serves as professor at the City University of Hong Kong (CityU), School of Law. He is an award-winning and world-renowned expert on international economic law (trade, investment, and tax), cyberlaw, vitivinicultural law, and international dispute resolution. His work has garnered wide recognition and has been cited by international courts/tribunals as well as the U.S. and European Courts. He writes a regular column ("The Global Lawyer") for the Financial Times’ fDI Intelligence Magazine, where he discusses current events in foreign investment law and politics. Dr. Chaisse is the recipient of the Smit-Lowenfeld Prize from the International Arbitration Club of New York (2020) and the awardee of the Humanities and Social Sciences Prestigious Fellowship (2022).
Dr. Chaisse regularly acts as an expert reviewer for the European Education and Culture Executive Agency (Erasmus+ funding programme, Jean Monnet Chair & Network, Marie Skłodowska-Curie Doctoral Networks, Erasmus Mundus Design Measures, Capacity Building in the field of Higher Education), Excellence in Research Australia (ERA), Singapore Ministry of Education Academic Research Fund, Swiss National Science Foundation (SNF), European Research Council (ERC); and serves on the Peer-Review College of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW). He also sits on the editorial boards of several high impact academic journals around the world, and serves as Editor-in-Chief of the Asia Pacific Law Review.
Dr. Chaisse has extensive experience working as a corporate board member and serving on the board of directors/advisory board for a number of international organizations. He is currently President and Chair of the Asia Pacific FDI Network, a leading organization that focuses on researching foreign direct investment and facilitating cooperation among over 100 scholars and 50 institutions. Dr. Chaisse is an accomplished senior arbitrator who is listed on the panel of the major arbitration institutions. He was recently selected for appointment of arbitrators in bilateral disputes under EU’s trade agreements. A number of his adjudications have been reported on by local and international press. He is frequently called upon as an expert witness in international trade/investment litigation and arbitration to advise international organizations, governments, law firms, and private investors on private/public international law issues (e.g., concessions contracts, special economic zones, investment structuring, state and international organization immunities, and WTO accession), and has assisted over twenty jurisdictions in drafting trade/investment treaties and legislation.
Prior to joining CityU Law School, Dr. Chaisse taught at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, Faculty of Law (2009-2019) where he served as Director of one the Faculty’s research centres as well as Director of the Faculty’s PhD & MPhil Programme. Before moving to Hong Kong, he worked as deputy head of the working group on the rules and regulations for multilateral trade and investment agreements at the World Trade Institute in Bern, Switzerland (2006-2009), as a lecturer at Elite School Sciences Po Aix in France (2004-2006), and as a diplomat for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of France at the French Embassy in New Delhi, India (2001-2004). Dr. Chaisse has held visiting fellowships and professorships at Columbia University, Melbourne University, University Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, National Institute of Malaysian and International Studies, and Tokyo University.
- Humanities and Social Sciences Prestigious Fellowship (2021-2022), Hong Kong Research Grants Council
- The Vitivinicultural Law OIV Award (2021), International Jury of the International Organisation of Vine and Wine
- Tenth annual Smit-Lowenfeld Prize (2020), International Arbitration Club of New York
- Vice-Chancellor's Young Researcher Award (2018), Chinese University of Hong Kong (85th Congregation)
- Vice-Chancellor's Exemplary Teaching Award (2015), Chinese University of Hong Kong (82nd Congregation)
- Research Excellence Award (2012), Faculty of Law, Chinese University of Hong Kong
- European Union Law Award, Prize for Best Doctoral Thesis (2008), University of Aix-Marseille
- President & Chair, Asia Pacific FDI Network (APFN)
- Chair & co-founder, Internet Intellectual Property Institute (IIPI)
- Director, Dot Trademark Policy Committee (DTPC)
- Advisor and Partner, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ARTNET on FDI)
- Advisor, Hong Kong Law Society, Committee on Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP)
- Advisory Board Member, World Free Zone Convention (WFZC)
- Advisory Board Member, World Arbitration Update (WAU)
- Advisory Board Member, Academy of International Dispute Resolution & Professional Negotiation (AIDRN)
- Advisory Board Member, National Institute of Malaysian and International Studies (IKMAS)
- Advisory Board Member, Asian Academy of International Law (AAIL)
- Advisory Board Member, WU Global Trade and Tax Advisory Group (WU GTPC)
- Member of the World Economic Forum Tax & Globalization Working Group, as well as Taskforce on Data Free Flow with Trust, Data for Common Purpose Initiative, and Data Policy Platform
- Member of the Hong Kong’s Government Board of Review (Inland Revenue Ordinance)
- Member of the Academic Forum on Investor-state Dispute Settlement
- Member of the ICANN’s Working Group (GNSO Policy Development Process) which produced the Report of the “Review of All Rights Protection Mechanisms in All gTLDs”, among other highly-regarded white papers
Articles in Law Journals and Other Scholarly Reviews
- “Domestic Investment Laws and International Economic Law in the Liberal International Order,” 22(1) World Trade Review 1-17 (2023).
- ““The Black Pit:” Power and Pitfalls of Digital FDI and Cross-Border Data Flows,” 22(1) World Trade Review 73-89 (2023).
- “International Banking and Finance Use of the Investment Treaty Regime,” 18(1) Capital Markets Law Journal 1-27 (2023).
- “Toward a Big Bang for the Taxation of the Digitalized Economy: a Business Retrospective, Perspective, and Prospective” 41(3) Virginia Tax Review 345-389 (2022).
- “Drafting Investment Law: Patterns of Influence in the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP),” 25(1) Journal of International Economic Law 110-128 (2022).
- “CAI’s Contribution to International Investment Law: European, Chinese, and Global Perspectives,” 23(4) Journal of World Investment & Trade 497-520 (2022).
- “Advancing Climate-Change Goals: From Reactive to Proactive Systemic Integration,” [中文版/ Chinese Version] 344 Columbia FDI Perspectives 1-3 (2022).
- “Tariffs and Threats in US Trade Policy: Debunking the Myth of “Global Reset”, 55(2) Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law 239-282 (2022).
- “Taxing the Future: Digital Stateless Income, Business Organisation, and the Search for a New Regulatory Paradigm” 22(2) Singapore Journal of Legal Studies 267-289 (2022).
- “The Function of Equity in International Law,” (Book review) 25(1) Journal of International Economic Law 195-198 (2022).
- “Stress Test for EU’s Investment Court System: How Will Investments Be Protected in the Comprehensive Agreement on Investment?,” 49(1) Legal Issue of Economic Integration 101-124 (2022).
- “Consutel Group v. Algeria: Umbrella Clauses and Breaches of Contract by Public Entities,” 37(3) ICSID Review 638-644 (2022).
- “Neither High nor Low, Just Realistic Expectations: FDI and Sustainable Development in the China-EU Comprehensive Agreement on Investment,” [中文版/ Chinese Version] 323 Columbia FDI Perspectives 1-3 (2022).
- “Delays Expected but Duration of Delays Unpredictable: Causes, Types, and Symptoms of Procedural Applications in Investment Arbitration” 37(4) Arbitration International 863-901 (2021).
- “Arbitration Clauses in Intellectual Property Contracts: Past, Precedence, and Future,” 54(3) The International Lawyer 397-422 (2021).
- “Towards Unilateral Economic Law,” 24(2) Journal of International Economic Law 229-257 (2021).
- “Dangerous Liaisons: The Story of Special Economic Zones, International Investment Agreements, and Investor-State Dispute Settlement,” 24(2) Journal of International Economic Law 443-471 (2021).
- “One Stone, Two Birds: Can China Leverage WTO Accession to Build the BRI?” 55(2) Journal of Word Trade 287-308 (2021).
- “Conservative Innovation: The Ambiguities of the China International Commercial Court,” 115(1) American Journal of International Law Unbound 17-22 (2021).
- “The Pervasive Problem of Special Economic Zones for International Economic Law: Tax, Investment, and Trade Issues,” 19(4) World Trade Review 567-588 (2020).
- “Excessive Costs and Recoverability of Costs Awards in Investment Arbitration,” 21(2-3) Journal of World Investment & Trade 251-299 (2020).
- “Chinese Puzzle: Anatomy of the (Invisible) Belt and Road Investment Treaty,” 23(1) Journal of International Economic Law 245-269 (2020).
- “One Step Forward, Two Steps Back? The Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership’s Investment Chapter,” [中文版/ Chinese Version] 271 Columbia FDI Perspectives 1-3 (2020).
- “Cybersecurity and the Protection of Digital Assets: Assessing the Role of International Investment Law and Arbitration,” 21(3) Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment & Technology Law 549-589 (2019).
- “The Monetization of Investment Claims: Promises and Pitfalls of Third-Party Funding in Investor-State Arbitration,” 44(2) Delaware Journal of Corporate Law 113-166 (2019).
- “China’s ‘Belt and Road’ Initiative: Mapping the World's Normative and Strategic Implications,” 52(1) Journal of World Trade 163-185 (2018).
- “Soft Law in International Law-Making: How Soft International Taxation Law is Reshaping International Economic Governance,” 13(2) Asian Journal of WTO Law and Health Policy 463-509 (2018).
- “The EU Investment Court: Challenges on the Path Ahead,” [中文版/ Chinese Version] 219 Columbia FDI Perspectives 1-4 (2018).
- “The ‘Noodle Bowl Effect’ of Investment Treaties in Asia: The Phenomenon, the Problems, the Practical Solutions,” 33(4) ICSID Review 44-69 (2018).
- “The Doctrine of Legitimate Expectations: International Law, Common Law, and Lessons for Hong Kong,” 48(1) Hong Kong Law Journal 79-104 (2018).
- “Shareholder Protection Reloaded: Redesigning the Matrix of Shareholder Claims for Reflective Loss,” 52(1) Stanford Journal of International Law 51-94 (2017).
- “Draft Agreement and Rules on the Establishment of the Asia-Pacific Regional Mediation Organization,” 13(1) Asian Journal of WTO Law and Health Policy 5-26 (2017).
- “Renewables Re-Energized? The Internationalization of Green Energy Investment Rules and Disputes,” 9(4) Journal of World Energy Law & Business 269-281 (2016).
- “Investor-state Arbitration in International Tax Dispute Resolution: A Cut Above Dedicated Tax Dispute Resolution?” 35(2) Virginia Tax Review 149-223 (2016).
- “Navigating the Expanding Universe of International Treaties on Foreign Investment: Creation and Use of a Critical Index,” 18(1) Journal of International Economic Law 79-115 (2015).
- “Deconstructing the WTO Conformity Obligation: A Theory of Compliance as a Process,” 38(1) Fordham International Law Journal 57-98 (2015).
- “The Evolving and Multi-layered Investment Regulatory Framework between the European Union and India,” 20(3) European Law Journal 385-422 (2014).
- “Maintaining the WTO's Supremacy in the International Trade Order: A Proposal to Refine and Revise the Role of the Trade Policy Review Mechanism,” 16(1) Journal of International Economic Law 9-36 (2013).
- “Exploring the Confines of International Investment and Domestic Health Protections: General exceptions clause as a forced perspective,” 39(2/3) American Journal of Law & Medicine 332-361 (2013).
- “Promises and Pitfalls of the European Union Policy on Foreign Investment: How will the New EU Competence on FDI affect the Emerging Global Regime?” 15(1) Journal of International Economic Law 51-84 (2012).
- “Sovereign Wealth Funds as Corporations in the Making: Economic Feasibility and Regulatory Strategies,” 45(4) Journal of World Trade 837-875 (2011).
- “Why Will China Establish a Government-Sponsored Response Mechanism in Countervailing Games?” 10(2) Journal of World Investment & Trade 227-240 (2009).
- “Implementing World Trade Organization Rules through Negotiation and Sanction,” 28(1) University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Law 153-186 (2007).
- “Adapting the European Community Legal Structure to the International Trade,” 17(6) European Business Law Review 1615-1635 (2006).
Journal Special Issues
- Domestic Investment Laws and International Economic Law in the Liberal International Order, (with G. Dimitropoulos) 22(1) World Trade Review (2023) 192.
- CAI’s Contribution to International Investment Law: European, Chinese, and Global Perspectives, (with M. Burnay) 23(4) Journal of World Investment & Trade (2022) 202.
- Towards Unilateral Economic Law: Special Economic Zones in International Economic Law (with G. Dimitropoulos) 24(2) Journal of International Economic Law (2021) 285.
- International Economic Law and the COVID-19 Sanitary Crisis, (with H. Ascensio) 18(2) Brazilian Journal of International Law (2021) 379.
- The Governance of Global Commons: Chinese Perspectives (with M. Burnay) 22(5) International Community Law Review (2020) 227.
- The Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (with E. Whitsitt, F. Sourgens, T. Ishikawa) (Special Issue 19(5) Transnational Dispute Management (2018) 515.
- China’s One Belt, One Road-- Consequences for the World of Arbitration (with T. Cheng, M. Chi) 17(3) Transnational Dispute Management (2016) 421.
- Les économies asiatiques face aux défis de la compétitivité internationale 19(1) Revue Economique et Sociale (2009) 172.
Books and Monographs
- The International Law of Economic Integration (with C. Herrmann) (Oxford University Press, Forthcoming 2024).
- Method and Practice of Transnational Law: Building Bridges Across Disciplines (Hart, Forthcoming 2023) 480.
- The Elgar Companion to the World Trade Organisation (with C. Rodríguez-Chiffelle) (Edward Elgar, Forthcoming 2023).
- Contestation and Polarization in Global Governance (with J. Wouters, M. Egen, K. Raube) (Edward Elgar, Leuven Global Governance series, 2023) 448.
- Handbook of International Investment Law and Policy (with L. Choukroune & S. Jusoh) Volumes I, II, III, and IV (Springer-Nature, 2021) 2,690.
- Sixty Years of European Integration and Global Power Shifts: Perceptions, Interactions and Lessons (Hart, Modern Studies in European Law, 2020) 520.
- Wine Law and Policy: From National Terroirs to a Global Market (with F. Dias Simões & D. Friedmann) (Brill, 2020) 708.
- China's International Investment Strategy: Bilateral, Regional, and Global Law and Policy (Oxford University Press, 2019) 576.
- The Future of Asian Trade Deals and Intellectual Property (with K-C Liu) (Hart, 2019) 320.
- Paradigm Shift in International Economic Law Rule-Making: TPP as a New Model for Trade Agreements? (with H. Gao & F.F. Lo) Springer-Nature, 2018) 526.
- Legal Problems of Economic Globalization: A Commentary on the Law and Practice (2nd Edition) (Wolters Kluwer, 2017) 976.
- International Investment Treaties and Arbitration Across Asia (with L. Nottage) (Brill, Nijhoff International Investment Law Series, 2018) 694.
- The Regulation of Global Water Services Market (Cambridge University Press, 2017) 446.
- International Economic Law and Governance: Essays in the Honour of Mitsuo Matsushita (Oxford University Press, 2016) 624.
- The ASEAN Comprehensive Investment Agreement: The Regionalization of Laws and Policy on Foreign Investment (Edward Elgar, International Investment Law Series, 2016) 265.
- International Taxation: Law and Practice in Hong Kong and China (with M. Lang) (Wolters Kluwer, 2015) 337.
Chapters in Books
- “Appeal Mechanism for Arbitral Awards” in The Award in International Investment Arbitration (edited by Katia Fach & Catharine Titi) (Oxford University Press, Forthcoming 2023).
- “The China International Commercial Court: Architecture, Pitfalls, and Promises” in International Commercial Courts: The Future of Transnational Adjudication (edited by Stavros Brekoulakis & Georgios Dimitropoulos) (Cambridge University Press, 2022) 468-488.
- “Praised, But Not Practiced: EU’s Paradoxes of Hybrid Dispute Resolution” in Multi-Tier Approaches to the Resolution of International Disputes: A Global and Comparative Study (edited by Anselmo Reyes and Gu Weixia) (Cambridge University Press, 2021) 363-383.
- “The Resolution of International Commercial and Financial Disputes” (with Carrie Shu Shang) in Multi-Tier Approaches to the Resolution of International Disputes: A Global and Comparative Study (edited by Anselmo Reyes and Gu Weixia) (Cambridge University Press, 2021) 92-109.
- “Investor-State Dispute Settlement and Environment”, in: Panagiotis Delimatsis & Leonie Reins (eds) Encyclopedia on Trade and Environmental Law (London: Edward Elgar, 2021) 615-625.
- “Investment Rule-making in Asia–European Union Relations: Legal and Policy Considerations” in The Asian Turn in Foreign Investment (edited by Chester Brown and Mahdev Mohan) (Cambridge University Press, 2021) 218-241.
- “Plea of Illegality in International Arbitration” in Max Planck Encyclopaedia of International Procedural Law (edited by Hélène Ruiz Fabri) (Oxford University Press, 2021) 885-912.
- “China's International Investment Law and Policy Regime: Identifying the Three Tracks” in China's International Investment Strategy: Bilateral, Regional, and Global Law and Policy (edited by Julien Chaisse) (Oxford University Press, 2019) 1-22.
- “The ASEAN Comprehensive Investment Agreement: Much More Than a BIT of Protection for Foreign Investors?” in ASEAN Law in the New Regional Economic Order: Global Trends and Shifting Paradigms (edited by Bryan Mercurio & Pasha Hsieh) (Cambridge University Press, 2019) 232-250.
- “Global Water Services Market and the Law: A Paradigm in the Making” in The Regulation of Global Water Services Market (edited by Julien Chaisse) (Cambridge University Press, 2017) 12-41.
- “Untangling the Triangle: Issues for State-Controlled Entities in Trade, Investment and Competition Law” in International Economic law and Governance: Essays in the Honour of Mitsuo Matsushita (edited by Julien Chaisse and Tsai-yu Lin) (Oxford University Press, 2016) 233-258.
- “Developing and Strengthening International Economic Law: The Contribution of Mitsuo Matsushita” in International Economic law and Governance: Essays in the Honour of Mitsuo Matsushita (edited by Julien Chaisse and Tsai-yu Lin) (London: Oxford University Press, 2016) 8-28.
- “The Impact of International Investment Agreements on the Greek Default” in International Economic Law after the Global Crisis: A Tale of Fragmented Disciplines (edited by Chin Leng Lim and Bryan Mercurio) (Cambridge University Press, 2015) 306-328.
- “The Regulation of Investment in the TPP: Towards a Defining International Agreement for the Asia-Pacific Region” in The Regionalization of Investment Treaty Arrangements: Developments and Implications (edited by Jansen Calamita and Mavluda Sattorova) (British Institute of International and Comparative Law, Series 'Current Issues in Investment Treaty Law' Volume 5, 2014) 270-319 .
- “The Regulation of Sovereign Wealth Funds in the European Union” in Sovereign Investment: Concerns and Policy Reactions (edited by Karl P. Sauvant, Lisa Sachs, and Wouter P.F. Schmit Jongbloed) (Oxford University Press, 2012) 462-495.
- “Towards Innovations in Investment Rulemaking?” in The Trans-Pacific Partnership: A Quest for Twenty-first Century Trade Agreement (edited by Chin Lim, Deborah Elms, Patrick Low) (Cambridge University Press, 2011) 147-170.
- “The Regulatory Framework of International Investment: The Challenge of Fragmentation in a Changing World Economy” in The Prospects of International Trade Regulation: From Fragmentation to Coherence (edited by Thomas Cottier and Panagiotis Delimatsis) (Cambridge University Press 2010) 417-451.
- “Data Free Flow with Trust: Overcoming Barriers to Cross-Border Data Flows,” Data for Common Purpose Initiative Briefing Paper, Annual Meeting in Davos (AM2023), World Economic Forum (Forthcoming 2023).
- “FDI screening: CFIUS remains the benchmark, while the EU’s seems toothless (for now)” (The Global Lawyer column), Financial Times fDi Intelligence (2022).
- “Initial Litigation Token Offering: The Digitised Future of Litigation Funding,” International Financial Law Review (2022).
- “The Global Minimum Tax: How it will Impact Business,” Financier Worldwide (2022).
- “Is the US going to screen outbound FDI?” (The Global Lawyer column), Financial Times fDi Intelligence (2022).
- “Hong Kong’s Case for Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) membership,” East Asia Forum (2022)
- “Is an eNato the right solution for a bipolar economic world?” (The Global Lawyer column), Financial Times fDi Intelligence (2022).
- “The Handbook on Policy, Promotion and Facilitation of FDI for Sustainable Development in Asia and the Pacific” (contributor), United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP) (2022).
- “Data regulation more important to digital FDI than you think” (The Global Lawyer column),” Financial Times fDi Intelligence (2022).
- “Fighting fund: Can third-party financing tip the scales for dispute resolution?” Asia Business Law Journal (2021)
- “Digital Trade in Services and Taxation - White Paper October 2021” Platform for Shaping the Future of Trade and Global Economic Interdependence (contributor),” World Economic Forum (2021).
- “Hong Kong’s New Approach to Investment Treaty Arbitration,” Kluwer Arbitration Blog (2021)
- “As rich countries reel from COVID-19, is wealth really an indicator of good healthcare?” The Economic Times (2021)
- “The Case for Hong Kong joining Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP),” East Asia Forum (2021)
- “Singapore’s Amendment to Its International Arbitration Act Pledges Its Leadership in the Asia-Pacific Region,” Kluwer Arbitration Blog (2020)
- “China’s Massive Hainan Free-trade Port,” Financial Times - fDi Intelligence (2020).
- “A Roadmap for Cross-Border Data Flows: Future-Proofing Readiness and Cooperation in the New Data Economy (contributor),” World Economic Forum (2020).
- “White Paper on Tax, Digitalization and Globalization,” World Economic Forum, Tax and Globalization Working Group (2020).
- “New Courts, New Perspectives: Hybrid International commercial courts,” Asia Law Portal (2020)
- “China Cannot Escape Middle-income Trap unless it Solves Reshoring Quandary,” Financial Times - fDi Intelligence (2020).
- “Strategic Brief on Misconceptions around Trade Balances,” World Economic Forum, Global Future Council on International Trade and Investment (2019).
- “Strategic Brief for the Annual Meeting of Stewards of International Trade and Investment,” World Economic Forum, Global Future Council on International Trade and Investment (2018).
- “Was 2016 the Year the World Turned its Back on Free Trade?” The Conversation (2017).
“Strategic Brief for Trade Ministers on Creating an Inclusive Trade Agenda,” World Economic Forum, Global Future Council on International Trade and Investment (2017).
- “Strategic Brief for the G20 Summit in Hamburg, Germany,” World Economic Forum, Global Future Council on International Trade and Investment (2017).
- “Another Conflict of Norms-- How BEPS and International Taxation Relate to Investment Treaties,” International Institute for Sustainable Development - Investment Treaty News (2017).
- “Strategic Brief for Trade Ministers on the WTO Dispute Settlement Mechanism,” World Economic Forum, Global Future Council on International Trade and Investment (2017).
- “Strategic Brief on Trade Rules for the Global Tech Race,” World Economic Forum, Global Future Council on International Trade and Investment (2017).
- “Rising Protectionism Threatens Global Trade: WTO Law and Litigation in Asia” 19(3) Asian Dispute Review (2017) 112–118.
- “TTIP: ¿hacia el caos de otro paradigma comercial?” 17(10) International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development (ICTSD) Puentes (2016).
- “International Investment Law and Taxation: From Coexistence to Cooperation” Think Piece, World Economic Forum (WEF) - E15initiative (2016).
- “Privatización del agua en América Latina: implicancias para las políticas de desarrollo sostenible” 16(7) International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development (ICTSD) Puentes (2015).
- “The Investment Version of the Asian Noodle Bowl: The Proliferation of International Investment Agreements” 128 Asian Development Bank (ADB) Working Paper (2014).
- “Tendencias globales en la construcción de normas y arbitraje de inversion” 15(8) International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development (ICTSD) Puentes (2014).
- ‘Domestic National Security Regulation and Foreign Investment,’ Germany/Hong Kong Joint Research Scheme as co-investigator (with Christoph Herrmann), Hong Kong SAR Research Grants Council (RGC) and German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) (RGC Ref No. G-CityU102/22), 2023-2025, HK$300,000
- ‘To Litigate or Not To Litigate at the World Trade Organization? A Comparative Investigation of the Determinants of Dispute Initiation at the WTO' as principal investigator, General Research Fund (GRF), Hong Kong SAR Research Grants Council (RGC Ref No. 11608122), 2023-2025, HK$1.3M
- ‘The Tax Factor of the Global Trade War: Designing Better Digital Tax Rules’ as principal investigator, Humanities and Social Sciences Prestigious Fellowship Scheme (HSSPFS), Hong Kong SAR Research Grants Council (RGC Ref No. 31000121), 2021-2023, HK$453,900
- ‘Anatomy of Hong Kong’s International Trade Law’ as principal investigator, General Research Fund (GRF), Hong Kong SAR Research Grants Council (RGC Ref No. 11606820), 2020-2022, HK$999,600
- ‘The European Union at the Crossroads of Global Order (EUCROSS)’ as co-investigator, Jean Monnet Network (led by KU Leuven's Centre for Global Governance Studies), European Union's Erasmus+ programme, 2018-2021, HK$3M
- ‘The COP and MOOT Project for Climate Change Education in Hong Kong’ as principal investigator, Environment and Conservation Fund (ECF) EECA No. 1795, 2018-2020, HK$721,000
- ‘Towards a China-EU Bilateral Investment Treaty-: Issues, Challenges and Directions’ as principal investigator, General Research Fund (GRF), Hong Kong SAR Research Grants Council, 2016-2018, HK$914,440
- ‘International Investment Treaties and Arbitration across Asia’ as co-investigator, Australian Research Council Discovery Project (DP140102526) 2015-2018, HK$2M
- ‘Managing the Globalization of Water Services in a World Affected by Climate Change: Regulatory and Economic Challenges’ as principal investigator, Research Development Fund, World University Network (WUN) 2013-2017, HK$890,000
- ‘Consumer Policy in China: Protecting the Citizens, Strengthening the Domestic Market and Building an Ecological Civilization’ as co-investigator, Macau SAR Research Grants Council, 2016-2018, HK$1.5M
- ‘The Changing Paradigm of Economic Diplomacy in Asia’ as principal investigator, Taiwan Collaboration Fund, CUHK Office of Academic Links (OAL), 2015-2016, HK$390,00
- ‘The Practice of Treaty-Shopping in international law’ as principal investigator, AECSRP IEEM Academic Research Project Grant, 2014-2015, HK$80,000
- ‘Hong Kong Foreign Direct Investment Profile’ as principal investigator, supported by CUHK New Asia College the Chiap Hua Cheng's Foundation Fund in cooperation with Columbia University, Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment (CCSI), 2013-2015, HK$250,000
- ‘United States of America and China Trade Litigation in the WTO’ (我国入世以来利用WTO争端解决机制解决中美贸易争端的实践与经验研究) as co-investigator, Chinese Ministry of Education (No. 12JJD790022), 2010-2012, HK$500,000
- ‘Do Bilateral Investment Treaties Increase Foreign Direct Investment Flows? Revisiting the role of legal parameters in economic empirical research’ as principal investigator, supported by the Vienna University of Business and Economics (WU), Arbeitskammer Vienna (Austria), and the CUHK Cheng Foundation Fund (No. I12076), 2010-2014, HK$2M
- ‘Regulatory Strategies of Sovereign Wealth Fund in making’ as principal investigator, Earmarked Research Grant (ERG), CUHK, 2009-2011, HK$60,000