- Public International Law including issues involving territorial disputes, Statehood, State Continuity, Restoration of Historical Title, Occupation and Self-determination
- International Human Rights Law- Minority Rights, Women Rights and Children Rights
- Humanitarian Law and International Criminal Law
- Law of Treaties
- International Water law
- Asian Perspective to the International Law (China and India Border Disputes and Water Disputes)
- Relationship between Law and Politics
- Colonial History of the British Indian Empire
- Tort Law
Dr Fozia Nazir LONE has been teaching in JD, LLM, LLB programmes (including servicing courses) at CityU School of Law since 2009. Prior to joining CityU, she obtained her LLM and doctoral degrees from the University of Aberdeen, Scotland (UK), where she was also Tutor in Public International Law.
She has published extensively in peer-reviewed journals including the Emory International Law Review, the Journal of Water Law, Max Planck Yearbook of United Nations Law, Chinese Journal of International Law, Vienna Journal on International Constitutional Law, etc. She has also published research monograph and books.
She has received research grants from the University Grants Committee (Hong Kong), as well as the Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland (UK). Her research interests are in public international law, international human rights/humanitarian law, international water law, Asian perspective to the international law (China/India), tort law, etc.
- F. N. Lone, (2018) Historical Title, Self-Determination and the Kashmir Question (Leiden: Brill/ Nijhoff: Brill’s Asian Law Series) https://doi.org/10.1163/9789004359994
- Lone, Fozia. Nazir, Kung Olivia, McCoy, Kim, (eds), Hong Kong Tort Law Cases, (Hong Kong: Wolters Kulwer) 2017.
- F. N. Lone, Tort Law in Hong Kong (Alphen aan den Rijn, the Netherlands: Wolters Kluwer, Dec 2016. https://lrus.wolterskluwer.com/store/product/tort-law-in-hong-kong/ (ISBN: 9789041185556)
- F. N. Lone, Hong Kong Tort Law: Texts, Cases and Ordinances, (pp1371), Lexis Nexis (Oct. 2014). https://store.lexisnexis.com.hk/products/hong-kong-tort-law-texts-cases-and-ordinances-skusku870033/details
- A Legal Critique on the Instrument of Accession 1947, Farhan Mujahid Chak (Editor), Kashmir Exposed: The World’s Most Dangerous Conflict (Pluto, 2020) forthcoming
- International Law and the Kashmir Dispute, Haley Duschinski, Mona Bhan, Cabeiri Robinson (eds) Palgrave Handbook of New Directions in Kashmir Studies (Palgrave Macmillan Publishing, 2020) forthcoming
- Revisiting the New Haven Methodology from an International Law & Policy Perspective in Nicholas Tsagourias (eds) Handbook on the Methodologies of International Law (Elgar) 2020 forthcoming
- Evaluating Merits of the Water-Energy-Food Nexus Towards Achieving Long-term Peace and Security: A Critical Review (Chapter 15) in Zafar Adeel and Benno Böer (ed) Water Security in a New World Securing Water, Energy, and Food in Central and South Asia, Springer Series 2020/21 (forthcoming)
- F. N. Lone, (2014) ‘Extraterritorial Human Rights Violations and Irresponsible Sovereign Financing’ in Juan Pablo Bohoslavsky and Jernej Letnar Černič ‘Making Sovereign Financing and Human Rights Work’ Hart Publishing, pp 233-249. (ISBN: 9781782253945) https://www.bloomsburyprofessional.com/uk/making-sovereign-financing-and-human-rights-work-9781782253945/
- F. N Lone (Oct 2013), ‘Rule of Law: Tort Law Perspective, in G Wang and Yan Fan (eds) ‘The Rule of Law: A Comparative Perspective’. City University of Hong Kong Press, Hong Kong, pp 183-196
- F. N. Lone, (2012) ‘Counter Piracy in the Indian Subcontinent: The Indian Perspective’, in Charles H. Norchi et Gwenaële Proutière-Maulion Piracy in Comparative Perspective: Problems, Strategies, Law (Paris : Pedone/Hart, 2012) 161-187 (Chapter 8) https://www.bloomsburyprofessional.com/uk/piracy-in-comparative-perspective-9781849464420/ (ISBN: 9781849464420)
- F. N. Lone, “Cross-Fertilisation of Westphalian Approaches to International Law: Third World Studies and a New Era of International Law Scholarship” Emory International Law Review Volume 34, Issue 4, 2020, 956-995. https://law.emory.edu/eilr/_documents/volumes/34/4/lone.pdf
- F. N. Lone, (2020) ‘China’s International Water Law Policy: Some Reflections” Issue 26/4 Journal of Water Law 53-66.
- F. N. Lone, Damming the Indus Waters: Thoughts on the Future of the 1960 Indus Waters Treaty and Himalayan Water Security 26 Journal of Water Law, 207-222, 2020 (forthcoming)
- Patricia Wouters & Fozia Nazir Lone, Introduction, 26 Journal of Water Law, 193-197, 2020 (Special Issue) (forthcoming)
- Patricia Wouters and Fozia Nazir Lone (EDITORS), Transboundary Water Governance In Asia – Examining Regional Practice Through Multidisciplinary Perspectives, 26 Journal of Water Law 2020 (Special Issue) (forthcoming)
- F. N. Lone (March 2019) ‘The New Haven School of International Law’, Oxford Bibliographies Online: International Law, Oxford University Press (Published 27 March 2019) DOI: 10.1093/OBO/9780199796953-0178 http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/abstract/document/obo-9780199796953/obo-9780199796953-0178.xml?rskey=6h9FWA&result=1&q=fozia#firstMatch
- F. N. Lone, (2017) The ‘One Country, Two Systems’ Model and Political Reform in Hong Kong: A TWAIL Approach’ Max Planck Yearbook of United Nations Law, Volume 21 (2017) 404-429 (Printed 22 November 2018; Brill/Nihoff) DOI: https://doi.org/10.1163/13894633_021001014
- F. N. Lone (Oct 2017), ‘The Hong Kong Occupy Injunction Cases: A Critical Appraisal on Competing Public and Private Rights’ in Vienna Journal on International Constitutional Law, Volume 11, (2017) Issue 4, Pages 507–539, ISSN (Online) 1995-5855 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/icl-2017-0072
- F. N. Lone, ‘The Enigma of the Hong Kong Injunction Cases- A Perspective on Political Question Doctrine, Separation of Powers, Rule of Law and Universal Suffrage’ in Vienna Journal on International Constitutional Law, Vol 10, 1/2016, 3- 29. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/icl-2016-0103
- F. N Lone (March 2014), Edict in Pre-Colonial India: An Analysis from the New Haven Perspective’, Beijing Law Review, Vol.5 No.1, pp 90-101.DOI:10.4236/blr.2014.51008; https://www.scirp.org/pdf/BLR_2014032811525323.pdf
- F. N. Lone (April 2012) ‘Uti Possidetis Iuris’ Oxford Bibliographies Online: International Law, Oxford University Press. DOI: 10.1093/OBO/9780199796953-0065; https://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199796953/obo-9780199796953-0065.xml
- Anthony Carty & Fozia Nazir Lone (2011) Some New Haven International Law Reflections on China, India and Their Various Territorial Disputes, Asia Pacific Law Review, 19:1, 93-112, DOI: 10.1080/10192557.2011.11788243 (Published online: 04 Nov 2016)
- F. N. Lone (2010) ‘R. Kidner, Casebook on Torts (10th ed, Oxford: OUP, 2008)’, City University of Hong Kong Law Review, Vol. 2, Number 1, 205-207.
- F. N. Lone (2009) ‘The Creation Story of Kashmiri People: The Right to Self-Determination’ Denning Law Journal, Vol 21, pp 1-25. http://ubplj.org/index.php/dlj/article/view/339/369
- F. N. Lone (2009) ‘From ‘Sale to Accession Deed’ - Scanning the Historiography of Kashmir 1846-1947’, History Compass,7/6 1496–1508. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1478-0542.2009.00652.x
- F. N. Lone (Oct-Dec 2007), Information Held Prisoner: Freedom of Information & Public Records Act Kashmir Affairs (London) Vol. 2, No. 4, 62-72.
- F. N. Lone (Jan- Mar 2007) A Secure and Sustained Solution for Kashmir: National Unity and Reconciliation Kashmir Affairs (London) Vol. 2, No. 1, 49-55.
- Fozia Lone, ‘Moshe Hirsch, Invitation to the Sociology of International Law’ Chinese Journal of International Law (2017) 16 (1): 129-132. https://doi.org/10.1093/chinesejil/jmx001
- Fozia Lone, Noam Lubell, Extraterritorial Use of Force Against Non-State Actors (Oxford: OUP, 2010) ISBN 978-0-19-958484-0, International Law Observer, 14, August 2012
- Fozia Lone, Democracy Goes to War – British Military Deployments under International Law, (Oxford: OUP, 2009), International Law Observer, 19th April 2010.
- Fozia Lone, Solon Solomon, The Justiciability of International Disputes – The Advisory Opinion of Israel’s Security Fence as a Case Study (Jerusalem: Wolf Legal Publishers, 2009) ISBN: 978-90-5850-437-1, International Law Observer, 3rd August 2010.
- Towards Improved Trans-boundary Water Cooperation on the Yarlong-Tsangpo/Brahmaputra River: A Multidisciplinary Study, Internal CityU Strategic Research Grant for unfunded GRF/ECS (SRG-Fd), CityU, Project No: 7005574), 1 September 2020 – 31 August 2022 ; Dr Fozia Nazir LONE (PI); Professor Patricia WOUTERS, (Co-I, Chair, International Water Law, Director, International Water Law Academy, China Institute of Boundary and Ocean Studies (CIBOS), Wuhan University); Budget: HKD99,986
- Towards the Pragmatic and Peaceful Resolution of the Sino-Indian Boundary Dispute: A Multidisciplinary Study General Research Fund (GRF) 2017, Dr Fozia Nazir LONE (PI, CityU), Project Fund – HKD715,024 000 Dr Fozia LONE (PI); Duration 36 Months. (1 Jan 2018 – 30 June 2021) (Project No: 9042601 (CityU 11609417)
- The Peaceful Settlement of the Sino-Indian Boundary Dispute: A Pragmatic Multidisciplinary Framework, Strategic Research Grant (Internal Support Funding for unfunded GRF, CityU), 1 October 2016-30 September 2018; Dr Fozia Nazir LONE (PI); Budget: HKD100,000 (Project No 7004791)
- Is Indus Water Treaty of 1960 Outdated: A Multidisciplinary Study of Power, Principles and Politics, General Research Fund (GRF) 2015, Dr Fozia Nazir LONE (PI, CityU), Project Fund – HKD521,000; (1 November 2015 – 31 October 2019). Project No.: 9042286 (CityU 11604515)
- China’s Rise, Is India A Contender on the Doorstep? New Asian Paradigms for the Discipline of International law’, School Strategic Grant, CityU, 1 August 2015 – 30 April 2017; Dr Fozia Nazir LONE (PI); Budget: HKD99, 996.80
- The Indian Pre-colonial Approaches to International Law: An Application of the New Haven School of Jurisprudence, Start-up Grant for New Faculty Grant Application 2011, Dr. Fozia Nazir LONE (Principal Investigator) Budget HKD100,000
- The Science and Humanities of Vision, Interdisciplinary Professional Development Awards, 2011, Dr J. A. ZAPIEN (AP) (PI); Dr H. RODRIGUEZ (SCM); Professor F. CUCKER (MA); Dr. Fozia Nazir LONE (CityU School of Law) (Co-Investigators) Budget: HKD250,000
- New Paradigms for the Discipline of International Law in China and India as Rising Powers, The University of Hong Kong, Research Grant Application (Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research), 2010 PI: Professor Carty; Co-Investigator: Dr. Fozia Nazir LONE Budget: HKD240,000
- Palestine and Kashmir: A Failure of Nerve at the End of Imperial Administration, The Carnegie Trust Award, (The Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland) 2009
- Restoration of Historical Title of Kashmir: Archival Research form 1935-40, The Carnegie Trust Award, (The Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland) 2007
- Frameworks for Shared Indus/Transboundary Waters: A Multidisciplinary Dialogue, Connie Fan Multi-media Conference Room (MMR), 4/F Cheng Yick-chi Building, CityU, 26–27 July 2019. https://www.cityu.edu.hk/slw/lib/doc/events/2019072627_SLW_Conference.pdf
- The Indus Water Treaty (IWT) 1960 and its Effect on State of Jammu & Kashmir: A Multidisciplinary Post-Flooding Dialogue’, 4 August 2015, Conference Room, the Department of Law, Kashmir University. https://www.greaterkashmir.com/news/opinion/indo-chinaterritorial-and-water-clashes/
Selected Conference Contributions
- Speaker – Paper Title: ‘Protection of Human Rights in the Post-COVID-19 Era: Possible Chinese Role Towards Future Outcome-based Asian Health Cooperation Framework’ in (Zoom) Colloquium on Protection of Human Rights in Public Health Crisis: Functions and Obligations of States China Society for Human Rights Studies, School of Law, Human Rights Center, Jilin University, 8 June 2020. (Xinhua News: http://www.xinhuanet.com/local/2020-06/09/c_1126093860.htm (9 June 2020) (Quoted in it)
- Speaker – Paper Title: ‘Eastphalia Rise in the Post-COVID-19 Era: Evaluation of Possible Chinese Role, in Online Symposium, “International Symposium on COVID-19 and Models of Governance in East Asia and the World’, CityU School of Law (RCCL & CPLR), 12 June 2020 (9am to 6pm HKT)
- Speaker – Paper Title: ‘Cross-Fertilization of Westphalian Approaches to International Law: Third World Studies and a New Era of International Law Scholarship’ Staff Seminar Series (Online), CityU School of Law (4pm to 5pm).
- Speaker and Organiser – Paper Title: ‘IWT and Himalayan Water Security - Perspectives on Potential Areas of Chinese Cooperation’ in Frameworks for Shared Indus/Transboundary Waters: A Multidisciplinary Dialogue, Connie Fan Multi-media Conference Room (MMR), 4/F Cheng Yick-chi Building, CityU, 26–27 July 2019.
- Speaker – Paper Title: ‘The Occupy Central Movement and its Aftermaths: An Interdisciplinary Study’ in Conference on the Occupy Central Movement and its Aftermaths: An Interdisciplinary Study, 18–19 September 2015, CityU Centre for Chinese and Comparative law & Asia Pacific Law Review.
- Speaker – Paper Title: ‘Cross-Fertilization of Western/Eastern Approaches to International Law: Third World Studies and a New Era of International Law Scholarship’ in Leiden Journal of International Law Symposium on ‘The Changing Role of Scholarship in International Law’, 11 May 2015, The Hague, The Hague Institute of Global Justice.
- Speaker – Paper Title: ‘The Hong Kong Court and the Occupy Injunction Cases: Non-Justiciability, Rule of Law and the Basic Law Freedoms’ in ‘International Conference on The Rule of Law in a Globalized Environment’, 31 March to 1 April 2015, Hong Kong (CityU Centre for Judicial Education and Research).
- Speaker – Paper Title: ‘Caught in Crossfire: Women, Conflict and Kashmir’, International Women’s Day – Protecting and Promoting Women’s Rights, 7 March 2013, Room IX, Palais Des Nations (Geneva) Switzerland.
- Speaker – Paper Title: ‘Law in Pre-Colonial India: A New Haven Analysis’, The 4th Conference on ‘Contemporary Legal Problems: The New Haven School of Thought from a Comparative Perspective’, 5–6 October 2012 (CityU School of Law).
- Speaker – Paper Title: ‘Indian Territorial Disputes: The New Haven Perspective’, Policy Sciences Center, Yale Law School, New Haven, United States, 13–15 October 2011.
- Speaker – Paper Title: ‘Human Rights in Kashmir’, Orville H Schell, Jr Center for International Human Rights, Yale Law School, United States, 14 October 2011.
- Speaker – Paper Title: ‘State Transformation in International Law Kashmir A Case Study’ Lecture via Polycom for International Law Society, School of Law, University of Maine (United States), 7 April 2011.
- Speaker – Paper Title: ‘Eastphalia Rising’, Lecture via Polycom to International Law Class, School of Law, University of Maine (United States), 20 January 2011.
- Speaker – Paper Title: ‘The Indian Observational Standpoint to International Territorial Situations: Kashmir, Tibet and the McMahon Line’, The 2nd International Conference on the New Haven School, CityU School of Law, 23–24 November 2010.
- Speaker – Paper Title: ‘State Transformation: Kashmir in International Law’, Inaugural Lecture via Polycom for International Law Society, School of Law, University of Maine (United States), 8 October 2010
- Speaker – Paper Title: ‘Restoration of Historical Title and the Kashmir Question: An International Legal Appraisal’, Legal Research Society, University of Aberdeen, 28 November 2008.
- Speaker – Paper Title: ‘Restoration of the Historical Title: State Continuity and Succession: Revisiting Kashmir Case within International Law’, Legal Research Society, University of Aberdeen, 15 May 2007.
- Speaker – Paper Title: ‘Kashmiri Peoples Will to Decide: Right to Self-Determination and Plebiscite’, Workshop on the Constitutional and International Legal Consequences of a Referendum on Scottish Independence, University of Aberdeen, School of Law, 12 May 2007.
- Speaker – Paper Title: ‘For the Purposes of Right to Self-determination how does one Define People in Context of Kashmir’, College of Art and Social Science Conference, University of Aberdeen, 28 Jun 2006.
Press/Media and Impact
More than 70 newspaper articles from 2001 to 2020 on legal, international and social topics including:
- Historical background of ‘special status’ of India-controlled Kashmir: How did Kashmir get this status and what was it done on? (انڈیا کے زیر انتظام کشمیر کی ’خصوصی حیثیت‘ کا تاریخی پس منظر: کشمیر کو یہ حیثیت کیسے ملی اور اسے ختم کس بنیاد پر کیا گیا؟) BBC Urdu, 27 August 2020 https://www.bbc.com/urdu/regional-53890030
- The story of the last days of Kashmir’s accession to India (کشمیر کے انڈیا سے الحاق کے آخری دنوں کی کہانی: مہاراجہ پر کیا دباؤ تھا؟), BBC Urdu, 20 August 2020 https://www.bbc.com/urdu/regional-53805226
- Sale of Kashmir and how it became a princely state (جب کشمیر ’ایشیا کے سب سے بڑے بدمعاش‘ کو پچھتر لاکھ روپے میں بیچ دیا گی) BBC Urdu, 17 August 2020 https://www.bbc.com/urdu/regional-53744807
- China’s promotion of international anti-epidemic cooperation is of clear and progressive significance (中国推进国际抗疫合作具有鲜明进步意义), People’s Daily, 22 July 2020 http://www.legaldaily.com.cn/commentary/content/2020-07/22/content_8254213.htm
- 加强团结合作 尊重保障人权——“全球疫情防控与人权保障”系列国际视频研讨会综述, 15 July 2020 http://paper.people.com.cn/rmrb/images/2020-07/15/03/rmrb2020071503.pdf
- En Inde, on redoute désormais une deuxième guerre avec la Chine, Le Point, 28 June2020 (Interview) https://www.lepoint.fr/monde/en-inde-on-redoute-desormais-une-deuxieme-guerre-avec-la-chine-28-06-2020-2382061_24.php
- Jérémy André, ‘Chine-Inde: duel de géants dans l'Himalaya, Le Point, 24 June 2020. (Quoted in it) https://www.lepoint.fr/monde/en-inde-on-redoute-desormais-une-deuxieme-guerre-avec-la-chine-28-06-2020-2382061_24.php
- Xinhua News, 9 June 2020 (Quoted in it) http://www.xinhuanet.com/local/2020-06/09/c_1126093860.htm
- The BJP has marched into a legal bind over Kashmir's accession to India, TRT World, 23 August 2019 https://www.trtworld.com/opinion/the-bjp-has-marched-into-a-legal-bind-over-kashmir-s-accession-to-india-29197
- Democracy in Stages, South China Morning Post, 13 May 2016
- Indo-China: Territorial and Water Clashes, Greater Kashmir, 16 August 2015
- Interview Broadcast, RTHK, 22 March 2013, 7pm (HKT)
- Interview with Ming Pao on Women’s Rights 3 March 2013
- Interview with Ming Yeung, The hunter and the hunted, China Daily, 7 March 2012
- Jalil Andrabi case and the trial thereof, Greater Kashmir, 22 May 2011
- Interview: Danger Lurks at Home, China Daily Hong Kong Edition, 30–31 January 2010
- Interview: Forum Charts paths to Legal Enlightenment, South China Morning Post, 17 December 2009, A15
- Election Boycott in J&K: Failures of Hurriyat and Indian Rhetoric, Kashmir Times, 16 January 2009
- What a Way to Annihilate History!, Greater Kashmir, 26 February 2008
- Facts we must not ignore, Greater Kashmir, 17 September 2007
- Amidst peace and politics, Greater Kashmir, 16 August 2006
- Plight of Prisoners in present turmoil, Greater Kashmir, 24 March 2002
- What Makes a Person Delinquent, Kashmir Images, 19 October 2001
Md Rabiul Islam (Supervisor)
1 September 2020 – present