Prof. Michael K. H. LEUNG
Prof. Michael Leung started his academic career as a Lecturer in the Department of Manufacturing Engineering and Engineering Management at the City University of Hong Kong (CityU) in 2000. In 2002, he joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Hong Kong as a Research Assistant Professor and later became an Assistant Professor. In 2010, he joined the School of Energy and Environment (SEE) at CityU as an Associate Professor. In 2015, he became a Professor. He served as an Associate Dean in SEE in 2012-2018.
Prof. Leung is also a Registered Professional Engineer, Chartered Engineer, Chairman of HKIE Education and Examinations Committee, Past Chairman of the Energy Institute (Hong Kong Branch) and Editor of Applied Energy and HKIE Transactions.
Prof. Leung's main research interests include solar photocatalysis, fuel cell, hydrogen power, advanced refrigeration/air-conditioning and carbon management. He is listed in Highly Cited Researchers 2018 by Clarivate Analytics (https://hcr.clarivate.com/) that recognizes world-class researchers selected for their exceptional research performance. He is also listed in The Most Cited Researchers in Energy Science and Engineering, Developed for ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects by Elsevier (http://www.shanghairanking.com). Prof. Leung has totally received HK$40M+ research funding as a PI from ITF, RGC, ECF, SDF, industrial sponsorships, university internal grants, donations, etc. He has published 140+ journal papers, 80+ conference papers, 15 books/book chapters, and 7 patents.
Post-doctoral Fellows / Research Associates / Research Assistants in the field of Energy Science and Engineering
The appointee will conduct research in at least one of the following areas: solar photocataylsis, fuel cell and advanced refrigeration/air-conditioning.
Degree holder in relevant science or engineering fields: Ph.D. degree for Post-doctoral Fellow; Bachelor's or Master's degree for Senior Research Assistant / Research Assistant. Candidates with experience in theoretical modeling or experimental study are preferred.
Salary and Conditions of Service
Salary offered will be highly competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Fringe benefits include leave, medical and dental consultations at the campus clinic.
Applications will be accepted until all the positions are filled. Please send completed application form and current CV to Prof. Michael K.H. Leung at email@example.com.For more information, please contact Prof. Michael K.H. Leung by email. Please click here to download the Application Form.
City University of Hong Kong is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates, especially applicants who will enhance the diversity of our staff.
Selected Journal Articles
- Yiyi She, Jinfan Chen, Chengxu Zhang, Zhouguang Lu, Meng Ni, Patrick H.-L. Sit, Michael K.H. Leung, Nitrogen-doped graphene derived from ionic liquid as metal-free catalyst for oxygen reduction reaction and its mechanisms, Applied Energy, September 2018, 225:513-521.
- Mah, D. N., Wang, G., Lo, K., Leung, M. K., Hills, P. & Lo, A. Y., Barriers and policy enablers for solar photovoltaics (PV) in cities: Perspectives of potential adopters in Hong Kong, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Sep 2018, 92, p. 921-936.
- Lo, K., Mah, D. N., Wang, G., Leung, M. K., Lo, A. Y. & Hills, P., Barriers to adopting solar photovoltaic systems in Hong Kong, Energy and Environment, Aug 2018, 29, 5, p. 649-663.
- Sanmu Xie, Daxian Cao, Yiyi She, Hongkang Wang, Jian-Wen Shi, Michael K.H. Leung, Chunming Niu, Atomic Layer Deposition of TiO2 Shells on MoO3 Nanobelts Allowing Enhanced Lithium Storage Performance, Chemical Communications, June 2018, 54(56)
- Chengxu Zhang , Lin Jiang, Yingjie Zhang, Jue Hu, Michael K.H. Leung, Janus effect of O2 plasma modification on the electrocatalytic hydrogen evolution reaction of MoS2, Journal of Catalysis, Volume 361, May 2018, Pages 384-392
- Yun He, Li Li, Wenguang Fan, Chengxu Zhang, Michael K.H. Leung ,A novel and facile solvothermal-and-hydrothermal method for synthesis of uniform BiVO4 film with high photoelectrochemical performance, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 732(2018), pp. 593-602
- Li Li, Wenguang Fan, Jin Xuan, Keqing Zheng, Yiyi She, Michael K.H. Leung, Optimal design of current collectors for microfluidic fuel cell with flow-through porous electrodes: Model and experiment, Applied Energy, Volume 206, 15 Nov 2017, pp 413-424
- Asim, M.,Imran, M., Leung, M.K.H.,Kumar, N.T.U., Martin, A.R., Kashif, F., Experimental analysis of solar thermal integrated MD system for cogeneration of drinking water and hot water for single family villa in Dubai using Flat Plate and Evacuated Tube Solar Collectors, Desalination and Water Treatment,Vol 92, pp. 46-59
- Muhammad Asim , Michael K.H. Leung,Thermodynamic and Thermo-economic Analysis of Integrated Organic Rankine Cycle for Waste Heat Recovery from Vapor Compression Refrigeration Cycle, Energy Procedia, 143 (2017) pp. 192-198
- Fan, W., Chan, K. Y., Zhang, C., Zhang, K., Ning, Z. & Leung, M. K., Solar photocatalytic asphalt for removal of vehicular NOx: A feasibility study, Applied Energy, Sep 2018, 225, p. 535-541.
- Yiyi She , Jinfan Chen, Chengxu Zhang , Zhouguang Lu, Meng Ni , Patrick H.-L. Sit , Michael K.H. Leung ,Oxygen Reduction Reaction Mechanism of Nitrogen-Doped Graphene Derived from Ionic Liquid, Energy Procedia, Volume142(2017) pp. 1319-1326
- Jue Hu,Chengxu Zhang, Lin Jiang, He Lin, Yiming An,Dan Zhou, Michael K.H. Leung, Shihe Yang, Nanohybridization of MoS2 with Layered Double Hydroxides Efficiently Synergizes the Hydrogen Evolution in Alkaline Media, Joule, Volume 1, Issue 2, 11 October 2017, Pages 383-393
- Yingxia Lu, Rui Tu, Chengxu Zhang, Wenguang Fan, Yun He, Michael K.H. Leung, Changsong Wang, Phenyl Hypophosphorous Acid-Assisted Synthesis of Carbon-Modified Anatase-Brookite Bicrystal TiO2 Nanoparticles with Enhanced Visible-Light Photocatalytic Performance, ChemistrySelect, 2(21), July 2017, pp. 6109-6117
- Li Li, Michael Leung, Design principles of current collectors in microfluidic fuel cell with flow-through porous electrodes, Energy Procedia, Volume 105C, May 2017, Pages 1557–1563
- Songling Wang, Guisheng Li, Michael K.H. Leung, Controlling Charge Transfer in Quantum-size Titania for Photocatalytic Applications, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, Volume 215, 2017, Pages 85-92
- Ronghua Yuan, Wei He, Chengxu Zhang, Meng Ni, Michael K.H. Leung, Cobalt free SrFe0.95Nb0.05O3-δ cathode material for proton-conducting solid oxide fuel cells with BaZr0.1Ce0.7Y0.2O3−δ electrolyte, Materials Letters, 200 (2017), 75–78
- Jue Hu, Bolong Huang, Chengxu Zhang,Zilong Wang,Yiming An, Dan Zhou, He Lin, Michael K. H. Leung ,Shihe Yang, Engineering stepped edge surface structures of MoS2 sheet stacks to accelerate the hydrogen evolution reaction, Energy and Environmental Science, Volume 10, Issue 2, February 2017, Pages 593-603
- Hongkang Wang, Qizhen Wu, Daxian Cao, Xuan Lu, Jinkai Wang, Michael K.H. Leung,Shaodong Cheng, Lu Lu, Chunming Niu, Synthesis of SnSb-embedded carbon-silica fibers via electrospinning: Effect of TEOS on structural evolutions and electrochemical properties, Materials Today Energy, Volumes 1–2, October–December 2016, Pages 24–32
- Li Li, Georgios Nikiforidis, Michael K.H. Leung, Walid A. Daoud, Vanadium microfluidic fuel cell with novel multi-layer flow-through porous electrodes: Model, simulations and experiments, Applied Energy, volume 177, 1 September 2016, pages 729-739.
- Chengxu Zhang, Jue Hu, Wenguang Fan, Michael K.H. Leung, Yuedong Meng, Plasma-grafted anion-exchange membrane preparation and process analysis, Electrochimica Acta, Volume 204, 20 June 2016, Pages 218–226.
- Rengasamy Karthikeyan, Navanietha Krishnaraj, Ammaiyappan Selvam, Jonathan Woon-Chung Wong, Patrick K.H. Lee, Michael K.H. Leung, Sheela Berchmans, Effect of composites based Nickel foam anode in microbial fuel cell using Acetobacter aceti and Gluconoabater roesus as a biocatalysts, BioresourceTechnology, Vol 157 page, 314-323.
- Li Li, Wenguang Fan, Jin Xuan, Michael K.H. Leung, Dimensionless parametric sensitivity analysis of microfluidic fuel cell with flow-through porous electrodes, Electrochimica Acta,Volume 187, 1 January 2016, Pages 636-645.
- Wenguang Fan, Michael K.H. Leung *, Recent Development of Plasmonic Resonance Based Photocatalysis and Photovoltaics for Solar Utilization. Molecules. 2016; 21(2):180.
- Hao Zhang, Huizhi Wang, Michael K.H. Leung, Hong Xu, Li Zhang, Jin Xuan, Understanding the performance of optofluidic fuel cells: Experimental and theoretical analyses, Chemical Engineering Journal, Volume 283, January 01, 2016, Pages 1455-1464
- Guisheng Li, Dieqing Zhang, Jimmy C. Yu, Michael K.H. Leung, An efficient bismuth tungstate visible-light-driven photocatalyst for breaking down a smog precursor nitric oxide, Environmental Science & Technology, June 2010, vol. 44, pp 4276-4281.
- Jin Xuan, Michael K.H. Leung, Dennis Y.C. Leung, Meng Ni, A review of biomass-derived fuel processors for fuel cell systems, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 13 (2009) 1301-1313.
- Meng Ni, Michael K.H. Leung, Dennis Y.C. Leung, and K. Sumathy, "A Review and Recent Developments in Photocatalytic Water-Splitting Using TiO2 for Hydrogen Production," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 2007, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 401-425.
- Meng Ni, Dennis Y.C. Leung, Michael K.H. Leung, A review on reforming bio-ethanol for hydrogen production, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 32, 2007, pp. 3238-3247.
- Solar Photocatalysis
- Fuel-cell Electrochemistry
- Hydrogen Production
- Carbon Management
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- Advanced Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning