Dr. Sam H. Y. HSU
Dr. Sam H. Y. Hsu’s research interests involve the material design, synthesis, processing, imaging, spectroscopy and solar energy application, aiming to explore fundamental properties and interactions of organic and inorganic materials for developing efficient solar energy conversion processes. He has keen interests in photoinduced charge transfer processes, interfacial electron transfer, electrochemical hydrogen generation, and photoredox reactions for electricity generation, solar fuel production, wastewater treatment as well as food waste management. The investigations between material phenomena rely heavily on concepts of energy and environmental engineering, consisting of photophysics, electrochemistry, photoelectrochemistry by utilizing scanning photoelectrochemical microscopy (SECM) imaging, ultrafast transient absorption (TA), time-resolved photoluminescence spectra (TRPL) and so forth.
There are several openings for research assistants, graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. Effective writing and oral communication skills in English are essential. Postdoctoral fellow candidates must have a Ph.D degree in Materials Science, Chemistry, Synthesis, or a related field. Candidates for graduate studentships positions must have a Bachelor's degree in Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science, or a related field. Successful candidates will conduct research in synthesis, photophysics, electrochemistry and photoelectrochemistry for solar energy applications. Interested individuals are encouraged to submit their CV and research statement to Dr. Sam Hsu, email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the positions are filled. The next intake of graduate student will be for the academic year starting from September 2017.
City University of Hong Kong is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates, especially applicants who will enhance the diversity of our staff.
Selected Journal Publications
- Z. Pang, X. Zou, X. Xiong, S. Wang, L. Ji, H-Y Hsu, G. Wu, Q. Xu, X. Lu, “Molten Salt Electrosynthesis of Cr2AlC-Derived Porous Carbon for Supercapacitors”, ACS Sustain. Chem. Eng., 2019, 7, 12938-12947.
- S. Rao, X. Zou, S. Wang, Y. Lu, L. Ji, H-Y Hsu, Q. Xu and X. Lu, “Electrodeposition of Porous Sn-Ni-Cu Alloy Anode for Lithium-Ion Batteries from Nickel Matte in Deep Eutectic Solvents”, J. Electrochem. Soc. 2019, 166, D427-D434. (*Corresponding Author)
- S. Rao, X. Zou, S. Wang, Y. Lu, T. Shi, H-Y Hsu, Q. Xu and X. Lu, “Electrodeposition of Ni-Cu alloy films from nickel matte in deep eutectic solvent”, Mater. Chem. Phys., 2019, 232, 6-15.
- C. Dong, Y. Wang, H. Wang, CSK Lin, H-Y Hsu, and S-Y Leu, “New Generation Urban Biorefinery toward Complete Utilization of Waste Derived Lignocellulosic Biomass for Biofuels and Value-Added Products”, Energy Procedia, 2019, 158, 918-925.
- Z. Pang, X. Zou, K. Zheng, S. Li; S. Wang, H-Y Hsu*, Q. Xu, X. Lu, “Sustainable Synthesis of Cr7C3, Cr2AlC and their Derived Porous Carbons in Molten Salts”, ACS Sustain. Chem. Eng., 2018, 6, 16607-16615. (*Corresponding Author)
- Y. Ding, S. H. Chow, G-S Liu, B. Wang, T-W Lin, H-Y Hsu, J. Yeunga, A. L. Bruni, and H-H Shen,“ Targeted detection of apoptotic membranes using annexin V-containing cubosomes”, J. Mater. Chem. B, 2018, 6, 7652-7661.
- H-Y Hsu,* L. Ji, C. Zhang, C. H. Mak, R. Liu, T. Wang, X. Zou, S-Y Leu and E. T. Yu, “Ultra-stable 2D Layered Methylammonium Cadmium Trihalide Perovskite Photoelectrodes”, J. Mater. Chem. C, 2018, 6, 11552-11560. (*Corresponding Author)
Dr. Sam HY HSU’s work has been highlighted on the Back Cover of J. Mater. Chem. C.
- Y. Li, L. Ji, R. Liu, C. Zhang, C. H. Mak, X. Zou, H-H Shen, S-Y Leu and H-Y Hsu*, “A Review on Morphology Engineering for Highly Efficient and Stable Hybrid Perovskite Solar Cells”, J. Mater. Chem. A, 2018, 6, 12842–12875. (*Corresponding Author) (Highlighted as a Hot Article 2018 and featured in the top 5% of most read articles in J. Mater. Chem. A) (Selected in a Themed Collection– International Year of the Periodic Table: From Pb and Sn Perovskites to the Next Generation in Royal Society of Chemistry 2019).
- X. Zou†, L. Ji†, H-Y Hsu†, K. Zheng, Z. Pang and X. Lu, "Designed synthesis of SiC nanowire-derived carbon with dual-scale nanostructures for supercapacitor application", J. Mater. Chem. A, 2018, 6, 12724–12732. (†Equal Contribution)
- C. Zhang, R. Liu, C. H. Mak, X. Zou, H-H Shen, S-Y Leu, L. Ji and H-Y Hsu*, "Photophysics of Organic Photovoltaic Devices: A Review", J. Photonics Energy, 2018, 8, 021001–021026. (*Corresponding Author) (Invited Review)
- L. Ji, H-Y Hsu*,J. C. Lee, A. J. Bard and E. T. Yu, "High-Performance Photodetectors Based on Solution-Processed Epitaxial Grown Hybrid Halide Perovskites", Nano Lett., 2018, 18, 994–1000. (*Corresponding Author)
- L. Ji†*, H-Y Hsu†, †, X. Li, K. Huang, Y. Zhang, J. C. Lee, A. J. Bard and E. T. Yu, "Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Photoelectrodes Employing Local Dielectric Breakdown and Integrating Antireflection Coating", Nature Materials 2017, 16, 127-131. (†Equal Contribution, *Corresponding Author)
- L. Ji†*, H-Y Hsu†, X. Li, K. Huang, Y. Zhang, J. C. Lee, A. J. Bard and E. T. Yu, “Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Photoelectrodes Employing Local Dielectric Breakdown and Integrating Antireflection Coating”, Nature Materials, 2016, Accepted (†Equal Contribution, *Corresponding Author).
Dr. Sam HY HSU’s work has been featured and highlighted on the cover of the January 2017 Volume 16 No 1 issue of Nature Materials.
- H-Y Hsu, L. Ji, H. S. Ahn, J. Zhao, E. T. Yu and A. J. Bard*, “A Liquid Junction Photoelectrochemical Solar Cells Based on p-Type MeNH3PbI3 Perovskite with 1.05 V Open-Circuit Photovoltage”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2015, 137, 14758–14764.
- H-Y Hsu, L. Ji, M. Du, J. Zhao, E. T. Yu and A. J. Bard*, “Optimization of Lead-free Organic–inorganic Tin(II) Halide Perovskite Semiconductors by Scanning Electrochemical Microscopy”, Electrochim Acta, 2016, Accepted.
- H-Y Hsu, L. Ji, M. Du, J. Zhao, E. T. Yu and A. J. Bard*, “Optimization of PbI2/MeNH3PbI3 Perovskite Composites by Scanning Electro- chemical Microscopy”, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2016, Accepted.
- T-H Lai, C. M. Grand, I. Constantinou, E. Klump, S. Baek, H-Y Hsu, S-W Tsang, K. S. Schanze, J. R. Reynolds and F. So*, “Evidence of Molecular Structure Dependent Charge Transfer between Isoindigo-Based Polymers and Fullerenes”, Chem. Mater., 2016, 28, 2433-2440.
- J. Zhao, H. Yin, T. Lim, H. Xie, H-Y Hsu, E. Forouzan, and A. J. Bard*, “Electrodepositing Photoactive Silicon Film for Low Cost Solar Cells”, J. Electrochem. Soc., 2016, 163, D506–D514.
- I. Constantinou, T-H Lai, H-Y Hsu, S-H Cheung, E. D. Klump, K. S. Schanze, S-K So and F. So*, “Effect of Thermal Annealing on Charge Transfer States and Charge Trapping in PCDTBT:PC70BM Solar Cells”, Advanced Electronic Materials, 2015, 1, 1500167.
- H-Y Hsu, J. H. Vella, J. D. Myers, J. Xue and K. S. Schanze*, “Triplet Exciton Diffusion in Platinum Polyyne Films”, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2014, 118, 24282–24289.
- Z. Chen†, H-Y Hsu†, M. Arca and K. S. Schanze*, “Triplet Energy Transport in Platinum-Acetylide Light Harvesting Arrays”, J. Phys. Chem. B, 2015, 119, 7198–7209 (†Equal Contribution).
- C. A. Richard, Z. Pan, H-Y Hsu, S. Cekli, K. S. Schanze, and J. Reynolds*, “Effect of Isomerism and Effect of Isomerism and Chain Length on Electronic Structure, Photophysics and Sensitizer Efficiency in Quadrupolar Donor- Acceptor-Donor Systems for Application in Dye-sensitized Solar Cells”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces. 2014, 6, 5221-5227.
- M. Hartel, S. Chen, B. Swerdlow, H-Y Hsu, J. Manders, K. S. Schanze, and F. So*, “Defect-induced loss mechanisms in polymer-inorganic planar heterojunction solar cells” , ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2013, 5, 7215-7218.
- H-Y Hsu, H-H Hsieh, H-Y Tuan*, J-L Hwang, “Oxidized low density polyethylene: a cost-effective, reliable, and recyclable polymeric encapsulant for photovoltaic modules”, Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells, 2010, 94, 955-959.
- A. Elangovan, J-H Lin, S-W Yang, H-Y Hsu, T-I Ho*, “Synthesis and Electrogenerated Chemiluminescence of Donor-Substituted Phenylethynyl- coumarins”, J. Org. Chem., 2005, 70, 1104-1104.
- T-I Ho*, A. Elangovan, H-Y Hsu, and S-W Yang, “Highly Fluorescent N,N-Dimethylaminophenylethynylarenes: Synthesis, Photophysical property, and Electrochemi- luminescence”, J. Phys. Chem. B, 2005, 109, 8626-8633.
- A. Elangovan, J-H Lin, S-W Yang, H-Y Hsu, T-I Ho*, “Synthesis and Electrogenerated Chemiluminescence of Donor-Substituted Phenylethynyl- coumarins”, J. Org. Chem., 2004, 69, 8086-8092.
- Energy engineering (solar fuels, photovoltaics and optoelectronic devices)
- Environmental engineering (wastewater treatment, food waste treatment)
- Material design (e.g. organometallics, alloy, bio-materials, nanomaterials, perovskites and metallopolymer
- Photophysics, photochemistry, electrochemistry and photoelectrochemistry
Research areas: Energy Engineering, environmental engineering, photovoltaics, solar fuels, wastewater treatment, food waste management, material design, photophysics, electrochemistry as well as photoelectrochemistry