Dr. Liang DONG
Dr. Dong Liang obtained his B.E. in Environmental engineering from Tsinghua University, China, and Ph.D. in Urban Environmental Studies from Nagoya University, Japan. Before joining City University, he worked in National Institute for Environmental Studies, Japan, and Institute of Environmental Sciences (CML), Leiden University, Netherlands, in the field of industrial ecology, circular economy and low-carbon & eco-city planning.
Dr. Dong's research focus to apply principles of Industrial Ecology to fight to the challenges of developing sustainable, smart and low-carbon cities, with focuses on the sustainability science & policies, environmental system analysis, and policies design under the theme of urban sustainability. Sub-topics also include development on holistic and integrated socioeconomic and environmental system analytical tools (e.g., life cycle assessment, urban metabolism approach, input-output model and their integration), sustainability indicators/policies, energy and environmental economic approaches, big data and spatial planning tools, and their applications in eco-industrial development, as well as sustainable, low-carbon and smart cities planning. He took charge and engaged in a series of national level circular economy, smart cities, and low-carbon cities projects in EU, Japan and China. He also actively engaged in providing broad academic services, like consulting to UN-ESCAP, Energy Foundation and many local stakeholders of Industrial and Urban planning, to forward circular, eco and low-carbon urban and regional transition in EU, Asia-Pacific and globe.
- Yuanping Wang, Hong Ren, Liang Dong*, Hung-Suck Park, Yuepeng Zhang, and Yanwei Xue, 2019. Smart solutions shape for sustainable low-carbon future: A review on smart cities and industrial parks in China. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 144, 103-117. (corresponding author)
- Dong, L., Wang, Y., Scipioni, A., Park, H.-S., Ren, J., 2018. Recent progress on innovative urban infrastructures system towards sustainable resource management. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 128, 355-359.
- Ren, J., Dong, L*., 2018. Evaluation of electricity supply sustainability and security: Multi-criteria decision analysis approach. Journal of Cleaner Production 172, 438-453. (corresponding author)
- Long, Y., Dong, L.*, Yoshida, Y., Li Z.L, 2018. Evaluation of Energy-related Household Carbon Footprints in Metropolitan Areas of Japan. Ecological Modelling 377, 16-25. (corresponding author)
- Hyeong-Woo Kim, Liang Dong, Seok Jung and Hung-Suck Park, 2018. The Role of the Eco-Industrial Park (EIP) at the National Economy: An Input-Output Analysis on Korea. Sustainability 10(12), 4545.
- Ren, J., Dong L., and Sun L., 2018. Competitiveness Prioritization of Container Ports in Asia under the Background of China’s Belt and Road Initiative. Transport Reviews 38 (4): 436-456.
- Dong, L., et al., 2017. Highlighting regional eco-industrial development: Life cycle benefits of an urban industrial symbiosis and implications in China. Ecological Modelling 361, 164-176.
- Liang Dong, et al., 2017. Material flows and resource productivity in China, South Korea and Japan from 1970 to 2008: A transitional perspective. Journal of Cleaner Production 141, 1164-1177.
- Xiao Luo, Liang Dong*, et al., 2017. Factor Decomposition Analysis and Causal Mechanism Investigation on Urban Transport CO2 Emission: Comparative Study on Shanghai and Tokyo. Energy Policy 107, 658-668.(corresponding author)
- Xiao Luo, Liang Dong*, et al., 2017. Analysis on Spatial-temporal Features of Taxis' Emissions from Big Data Informed Travel Patterns: A Case of Shanghai, China. Journal of Cleaner Production 142, 926-935. (corresponding author)
- Fang, K., Dong, L.*, et al., 2017. Carbon footprints of urban transition: Tracking circular economy promotions in Guiyang, China. Ecological Modelling 365, 30-44. (SSCI, IF=2.507) (corresponding author)
- Anthony S.F. Chiu, Liang Dong*, et al., 2017. Philippine resource efficiency in Asian context: Status, trends and driving forces of Philippine material flows from 1980 to 2008. Journal of Cleaner Production 153, 63-73. (corresponding author)
- Liang Dong, et al., 2016. Spatial distribution of China's renewable energy industry: Regional features and implications for a harmonious development future, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 58: 1521-1531.
- Liang Dong, et al., 2016. Towards preventative eco-industrial development: an industrial and urban symbiosis case in one typical industrial city in China, Journal of Cleaner Production. 2016, 114: 387-400.
- Xiao Luo, Liang Dong*, et al., 2016. Regional disparity analysis of Chinese freight transport CO2 emissions from 1990 to 2007: Driving forces and policy challenges. Journal of Transport Geography 56, 1-14. (corresponding author)
- Dou, Y., Luo, X., Dong, L.*, et al., 2016. An empirical study on transit-oriented low-carbon urban land use planning: Exploratory Spatial Data Analysis (ESDA) on Shanghai, China. Habitat International 53, 379-389. (corresponding author)
- Takuya Togawa, Tsuyoshi Fujita, Liang Dong, Satoshi Ohnishi, Minoru Fujii, 2016. Integrating GIS databases and ICT applications for the design of energy circulation systems, Journal of Cleaner Production 114: 224-232.
- Dong, L., Dong H., Fujita T., Geng Y. and Fujii M., 2015. Cost-effectiveness analysis of China's Sulfur dioxide control strategy at the regional level: regional disparity, inequity and future challenges. Journal of Cleaner Production, 90: 345-359.
- Jingzheng Ren, Liang Dong, et al., 2015. “Supply push” or “demand pull?”: Strategic recommendations for the responsible development of biofuel in China. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 52: 382-392.
- Jingzheng Ren, Liang Dong, et al., 2015. Life cycle cost optimization of biofuel supply chains under uncertainties based on interval linear programming. Bioresource Technology, 187: 6-13.
- Huijuan Dong, Hancheng Dai, Liang Dong, Tsuyoshi Fujita, Yong Geng, Zbigniew Klimont, Tsuyoshi Inoue, Shintaro Bunya, Minoru Fujii, Toshihiko Masui, 2015. Pursuing air pollutant co-benefits of CO2 mitigation in China: A provincial leveled analysis. Applied Energy, 144:165-174.
- Dong, L., Liang, H., 2014. Spatial analysis on China’s regional air pollutants and CO2 emissions: emission pattern and regional disparity. Atmospheric Environment, 92: 280-291.
- Dong, L., Gu, F., Fujita, T., Hayashi, Y., Gao, J., 2014. Uncovering opportunity of low-carbon city promotion with industrial system innovation: Case study on industrial symbiosis projects in China. Energy Policy 65, 388-397.
- Dong, L., Fujita, T., Zhang, H., Dai, M., Fujii, M., Ohnishi, S., Geng, Y., Liu, Z., 2013. Promoting low-carbon city through industrial symbiosis: A case in China by applying HPIMO model. Energy Policy 61, 864-873.
- Dong, L., Zhang, H., Fujita, T., Ohnishi, S., Li, H., Fujii, M., Dong, H., 2013. Environmental and economic gains of industrial symbiosis for Chinese iron/steel industry: Kawasaki's experience and practice in Liuzhou and Jinan. Journal of Cleaner Production 59, 226-238.
- Kanada, M., Dong, L.*, Fujita, T., Fujii, M., Inoue, T., Hirano, Y., Togawa, T., Geng, Y., 2013. Regional disparity and cost-effective SO2 pollution control in China: A case study in 5 mega-cities. Energy Policy 61, 1322-1331. (corresponding author)
- Zhang, H., Dong, L.*, Li, H.-q., Chen, B., Tang, Q., Fujita, T., 2013. Investigation of the residual heat recovery and carbon emission mitigation potential in a Chinese steelmaking plant: A hybrid material/energy flow analysis case study. Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments 2, 67-80. (corresponding author)
- Zhang H., Dong L.*, Li H., Fujita T., Ohnishi S., Tang Q., 2013. Analysis of low-carbon industrial symbiosis technology for carbon mitigation in a Chinese iron/steel industrial park: A case study with carbon flow analysis. Energy Policy 61, 1400-1411. (corresponding author)
- Li H., Dong L., Wang D., 2013. Economic and environmental gains of China's fossil energy subsidies reform: A rebound effect case study with EIMO model. Energy Policy 54, 335-342.
- Hong Li, Liang Dong, Minghua Xie, 2011. A Study on the Comprehensive Evaluation and Optimization of How Removing Gas and Electricity Subsidies Would Affect Households' Living. Journal of Economic Research, 2:100-112. (In Chinese)
- Urban sustainability and Sustainable Urban Planning
- Environmental management & Policies
- Industrial Ecology and Environmental system analysis
- Eco-industrial development (EID) and Eco-industrial parks (EIPs)
- Low-carbon city, Eco-city and Smart city
- Google scholar citation: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=0vfliHthTsMC
- ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Liang_Dong3